Space Mountain closing intermittently in September

Figment2005

Curse Disney for trying to uphold their first key of the Four Keys... Safety. Everything that gets done has a reason, we may not like it, but something still had to happen to prompt them spending money.

copcarguyp71

I would be willing to bet that spending money on brakes was less than actually addressing the real issue (whatever that may be). It has been fine for over 30 years so I have to call foul on slowing the ride down based on safety. I doubt it has been dangerous for 30 years and all of a sudden they are now worried. Fix whatever problem is being swept under the carpet that caused the slowing of the ride instead of throwing a band-aid on the problem by reducing the experience.

Smarmy sarcasm about safety does not cover it for me.

dhsaddict83

I know safety is of the utmost importance, and not to "QQ" here, but... from a regular, just my two cents... One thing I took from the OP's link was the addition of trim brakes during the middle of the on-ride experience, but to slow down an already slow (< 27 mph) coaster by the addition of brakes just doesn't make much sense (or cents either)!

Voxel

President of Progress City
This could be why they are shutting down periodically this month so that they can adjust the break levels. The ride is 30 years on and the new breaks are leaps and bounds better and more efficient then the original break. Logic says then that the same amount of pressure used with the old breaks now makes for a rougher ride. So they may be monitoring the rides stats and adjust the breaks accordingly.

rodserling27

They definitely added the brakes before the last drop. I can confirm that 100%. I rode both Alpha and Omega sides 5 times each this weekend, and the brakes were there all 10 times. It WAS very noticeable, and a huge let down. It also ruins the effect at the end, the hard banking turns with the sound effect. The first two times I thought it might have been an accident, or rather, our car might have been too close to the one in front. But yesterday morning when there was literally NO ONE in the park, the brakes were still there. Disappointing to say the least. What safety precaution could there be with this? Any ideas?

On a good note, I noticed the music and sound effects were pretty darn loud every time I rode Sat-Sunday.

the-reason14

This is devastating news. Space mt. Is my absolute favorite ride in all of wdw, and not just wdw but the whole world. I guess its good to have memories to go by, because I don't plan on paying to go back anytime soon with all the things I've been reading about wdw. I guess there's always the inferior Disneyland version, but nothing can compare to the one in wdw. And clearly the ones complaining about he jerkiness have never been on wooden coaster. I agree it should not be that bumpy, but never ever ride any wooden coasters.

Clamman73

They definitely added the brakes before the last drop. I can confirm that 100%. I rode both Alpha and Omega sides 5 times each this weekend, and the brakes were there all 10 times. It WAS very noticeable, and a huge let down. It also ruins the effect at the end, the hard banking turns with the sound effect. The first two times I thought it might have been an accident, or rather, our car might have been too close to the one in front. But yesterday morning when there was literally NO ONE in the park, the brakes were still there. Disappointing to say the least. What safety precaution could there be with this? Any ideas?

On a good note, I noticed the music and sound effects were pretty darn loud every time I rode Sat-Sunday.

Well that's disappointing...that's my favorite part when you start to spiral down and the sound effects do that ever increasing speed sound. I'll be there next Monday evening/definitely first thing Tuesday morning to ride it and will be able to tell right away...

Sped2424

Curse Disney for trying to uphold their first key of the Four Keys... Safety. Everything that gets done has a reason, we may not like it, but something still had to happen to prompt them spending money.
Had they done the refurb the way it was intended the brakes wouldn't have been necessary.

TimeTrip

Y'all are crazy. Seat six on SM is pure awesome.
Right on. I also like to see how many parts of the structure I can hit with my hands. However my favorite is screaming at the car going by while going up the hill and conversely yelling at the people going up the hill while zooming by with arms flailing. Always gets some great reactions!

djkidkaz

Interesting, I was on it yesterday and noticed a section that brakes and that the audio was messed up because of it when going through the spiral portion. Now I know why!

DisneyWorld1983

Space Mountain has been my favorite ride for years and I try to ride it about once a month, since I am a passholder. I had heard that Disney World would be closing the ride in September for a refurbishment to add trim breaks to the ride. Well I went on the ride last night and felt a huge difference. I had heard that they wanted to make the ride smoother which they did, but it also felt like they slowed the ride down greatly. They also put a break in the ride to a halt car before sending the car down the last drop. It seems like they really toned that ride down a lot. I can understand safety concerns, but I didn't see anything wrong with how the ride was before.

ToTBellHop

Space Mountain has been my favorite ride for years and I try to ride it about once a month, since I am a passholder. I had heard that Disney World would be closing the ride in September for a refurbishment to add trim breaks to the ride. Well I went on the ride last night and felt a huge difference. I had heard that they wanted to make the ride smoother which they did, but it also felt like they slowed the ride down greatly. They also put a break in the ride to a halt car before sending the car down the last drop. It seems like they really toned that ride down a lot. I can understand safety concerns, but I didn't see anything wrong with how the ride was before.
Somehow it was safe enough for 38 years.

disney fan 13

Maybe if they actually refurbished it right in the first place back in '09 then they wouldn't have to worry about that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom