Space Mountain: A visual history thread

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
Regarding the current Space Mountain refurb, I thought it would be nice to show a visual history as to how Space Mountain's entrance has changed over the years.

When it opened in 1975, Space Mountain's entrance was quite spacious. The entrance building's roof changed over the years from white to light blue, and it's ceiling was originally painted in red, yellow, and orange patterns, while the walls were either white, or white with swoosh patterns.

t8kht4.jpg

Before the Arcade was built in 1994, guests exited Space Mountain into the open plaza.

33kgftw.jpg

Space Mountain retained it's original look just before the mid 1980s.

2cn8oyx.jpg

2v150s9.jpg

In the mid 80s, the vehicles for Space Mountain changed, and the exterior changed with new paint on the roof, vinyl siding added to the walls, and a new vehicle for the pylon sign.

2hgqxr7.jpg

Before the Arcade was built in 1994, guests on the Skyway could get an excellent view of Space Mountain.

bi5to3.jpg

Space Mountain, as we knew it before it closed for the 2008-2009 refurb.

2d9dztl.jpg

sweetpee_1993

First of all, wonderful thread idea! I love it! The different visuals bring back memories. **sigh** Remember when you walked inside and the RCA dogs were sitting in the middle of that area? I miss that. And when the rockets were configured so you sat your little sister in front of you leaning back against you and a little strap went around both of you? My brother took advantage of this seating arrangement with pretty girls from school when he was a teen. :cool:

Really awesome. Am I the only one who doesn't like that arcade there?

I was thinking about posting this very thing. No. You aren't the only one. The pics brought back memories of when the exterior felt expansive and it truly felt as if there was a huge mountain to gaze up at without obstructions. I'm not opposed to the existence of the arcade...but why make the building so big that it obstructs the mountain? It makes the mountain look less like a mountain and more like an oddly shaped building beyond the arcade. :shrug:

Jseven

There is a ride vehicle at UCF main campus over in the Engineering Building. I've heard its the one from the picture (minus the 4 bodies) but can not confirm or find pictures. It was there last time i was on campus in 2006.

The Empress Lilly

The arcade is a clear example of Disney declining by degrees.

A huge, ill-fitting shop that diminishes the visual impact of SM. And that cheapens the experience.

The Philistines were not even clever or artistic enough to make the giftshop fit the area, to have merchandise and theme reinforce one another, to subtly entice guests in.
It's just a crude Walmartification ordered by a bunch of dreadful amateurs.

The Empress Lilly

Notice how the careful scaling of SM is utterly destroyed by the arcade.

The magic of WDW is all based on theatrical effect. Like forced perspective, scale, colour, lighting. Here, one effect - that of careful scaling - is destroyed to make way for a crude extention.

What once looked like an imposing mountain, now looks like an ordinary indoor basketball court with funny 1970's spires.

Amateurs. :zipit:

Before the Arcade was built in 1994, guests on the Skyway could get an excellent view of Space Mountain.

bi5to3.jpg

Space Mountain, as we knew it before it closed for the 2008-2009 refurb.

2d9dztl.jpg

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
There is a ride vehicle at UCF main campus over in the Engineering Building. I've heard its the one from the picture (minus the 4 bodies) but can not confirm or find pictures. It was there last time i was on campus in 2006.
Hmmm. What is it doing there? I can see some sort of tie in since it is at the engineering building, but just curious.

The arcade is a clear example of Disney declining by degrees.
Ahhhh. You cant use a Kevin Yee expression here. This place is Kevin Yee free and all his negativity (and a few other explatives that would get filtered out)

:lol:

Notice how the careful scaling of SM is utterly destroyed by the arcade.
Yep. This is why I have always thought the arcade was crap.

I loved the original exit into the plaza. This isnt a fanboy classic statement of anything from the past, I just think it is far superior then what it there now... clutter.

Nice thread to the OP. I would love to get a few more involved that have a plethora of pictures to make a timeline from January 15th 1975 to present.

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
I have a good picture of the RCA Home of Future Living where the daughter is using a VideoDisc player. :sohappy: :eek:

Let me go find it brb!

Chape19714

I don't think it's that one, but could be. The ride vechile at UCF has the 3 lapbars. Next time I'm in that building, I'll get a picture. The car is just for show, and does not have any wheels or other functioning pieces underneath.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom