Space Mountain: A visual history thread

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
RCA's Home of Future Living had to be one of the most interesting post shows ever created in Disney history.

It was supposed to be practical, but fun. Simple in it's modern aesthetic choices, but elaborate in telling the story of how one family interacted with new technology in the future. (Basically, Carousel of Progress reduced to a moving sidewalk show :lol:)

There are some slight hints of what remains of the Home of Future Living...

I have no idea if they will do anything to the post show during the refurb, so let's remember what it looked like just before it closed.

When you step onto the moving sidewalk, there's the robot working at the control booth on the left, to the best of my knowledge there was nothing here, the room itself most likely did not exist either.

On the right there are two hexagon or octagon shaped displays one right after the other. The first one had the father of the home on the porch with a laptop. He was originally having a video chat, and it later changed to him watching a videodisc.

The next room had the baby in shiny silver diapers and a plexiglass crib chilling out goo goo gaaing all the time, while a toy clown (I don't think it was a toy clown it more looked like a toy chicken with a yellow hat on its head but whatever) the object was filming the baby so that it could be monitored onto any TV in the house.

Then we head over to the next set of displays...I think this is where the bones are and the astronauts are today. One the right of this set of displays was the Mother's mother (Grandma!) learning pottery in the den. She was on a two-way TV conference with her art instructor.

Next to her, on the left was the son of the house with a friend.The son was assembling a saturn V rocket (I think it was a saturn V) and his friend was playing a virtual reality ski game on a flatscreen TV.

Further down was the front door of the home where a boy named billy and his dog and frog want to get in to visit the son. There was the dining room as well where the mother sat at a control pannel and originally shopped for dishware on TV, later it became Julia Childs, meanwhile the Mothers' friend is watching the TV.

Now we get to the very last part, and what little remains of the Home of Future Living.

In the room that has cabinents, and a movie screen in it with a vista of a city in the background, is what remains of both the daughters bedroom and entertainment room. The current TV screen has been moved over the right, it used to be more to the left. Where all the bones are and filing cabinents are, is what remains of the hexagonal layout of the daughters bedroom. The platform for her bed is still there, with drawers and filing cabinents on top of it. Next to her room was the entertainment room, where her friend, and another kid were watching a football game on a screen projector tv, later it became them watching 20k under the sea. The screen is still there, playing something else.

Then you headed down the speedramp, above you where the starlight skylights are, used to be television monitors. Well, actually, they used to be posters selling RCA products, but in 1982 it became TV monitors advertising videodiscs, and then in 1985 when the home of future living closed...and became RYCA-1, the TV monitors displayed images of astronauts in space.

Once we saw ourselves on TV, Billy and his Dog were there filming us. It later became robo boy and robo dog filming us, and they currently are in the very last room. I hope they are saved. They are the only figures to have survived the home of future living.

2a6vzwy.jpg

bg0617

First of all, wonderful thread idea! I love it! The different visuals bring back memories. **sigh** Remember when you walked inside and the RCA dogs were sitting in the middle of that area? I miss that. And when the rockets were configured so you sat your little sister in front of you leaning back against you and a little strap went around both of you? My brother took advantage of this seating arrangement with pretty girls from school when he was a teen. :cool:

I was thinking about posting this very thing. No. You aren't the only one. The pics brought back memories of when the exterior felt expansive and it truly felt as if there was a huge mountain to gaze up at without obstructions. I'm not opposed to the existence of the arcade...but why make the building so big that it obstructs the mountain? It makes the mountain look less like a mountain and more like an oddly shaped building beyond the arcade. :shrug:

I dislike the arcade aesthetically, however I guess it does help with Tomorrowland's crowd control. :shrug:

ryno1982

I couldn't help but notice how dirty the mountain was in the first pic. Even back then that poor white mountain was hard to keep clean.

EPCOT Explorer

Really awesome. Am I the only one who doesn't like that arcade there?
Hate it. Hate the color, hate the shape...They could have at least made it fit in, if it needed to.

The arcade is a clear example of Disney declining by degrees.

A huge, ill-fitting shop that diminishes the visual impact of SM. And that cheapens the experience.

The Philistines were not even clever or artistic enough to make the giftshop fit the area, to have merchandise and theme reinforce one another, to subtly entice guests in.
It's just a crude Walmartification ordered by a bunch of dreadful amateurs.
Exactly. Hopefully painting it will diminish the negative impact it has on it.
RCA's Home of Future Living had to be one of the most interesting post shows ever created in Disney history.

It was supposed to be practical, but fun. Simple in it's modern aesthetic choices, but elaborate in telling the story of how one family interacted with new technology in the future. (Basically, Carousel of Progress reduced to a moving sidewalk show :lol:)

There are some slight hints of what remains of the Home of Future Living...

I have no idea if they will do anything to the post show during the refurb, so let's remember what it looked like just before it closed.

When you step onto the moving sidewalk, there's the robot working at the control booth on the left, to the best of my knowledge there was nothing here, the room itself most likely did not exist either.

On the right there are two hexagon or octagon shaped displays one right after the other. The first one had the father of the home on the porch with a laptop. He was originally having a video chat, and it later changed to him watching a videodisc.

The next room had the baby in shiny silver diapers and a plexiglass crib chilling out goo goo gaaing all the time, while a toy clown (I don't think it was a toy clown it more looked like a toy chicken with a yellow hat on its head but whatever) the object was filming the baby so that it could be monitored onto any TV in the house.

Then we head over to the next set of displays...I think this is where the bones are and the astronauts are today. One the right of this set of displays was the Mother's mother (Grandma!) learning pottery in the den. She was on a two-way TV conference with her art instructor.

Next to her, on the left was the son of the house with a friend.The son was assembling a saturn V rocket (I think it was a saturn V) and his friend was playing a virtual reality ski game on a flatscreen TV.

Further down was the front door of the home where a boy named billy and his dog and frog want to get in to visit the son. There was the dining room as well where the mother sat at a control pannel and originally shopped for dishware on TV, later it became Julia Childs, meanwhile the Mothers' friend is watching the TV.

Now we get to the very last part, and what little remains of the Home of Future Living.

In the room that has cabinents, and a movie screen in it with a vista of a city in the background, is what remains of both the daughters bedroom and entertainment room. The current TV screen has been moved over the right, it used to be more to the left. Where all the bones are and filing cabinents are, is what remains of the hexagonal layout of the daughters bedroom. The platform for her bed is still there, with drawers and filing cabinents on top of it. Next to her room was the entertainment room, where her friend, and another kid were watching a football game on a screen projector tv, later it became them watching 20k under the sea. The screen is still there, playing something else.

Then you headed down the speedramp, above you where the starlight skylights are, used to be television monitors. Well, actually, they used to be posters selling RCA products, but in 1982 it became TV monitors advertising videodiscs, and then in 1985 when the home of future living closed...and became RYCA-1, the TV monitors displayed images of astronauts in space.

Once we saw ourselves on TV, Billy and his Dog were there filming us. It later became robo boy and robo dog filming us, and they currently are in the very last room. I hope they are saved. They are the only figures to have survived the home of future living.

2a6vzwy.jpg

:sohappy:

Well written!

PattyBell

I can't wait to go on SM again...it's been 9 years....
I had a gap from 2000 to 2007 (huge line, so we skipped) and 2009 abril the park was so crowded that we din't bother.
Goin 01/23 to 02/06, it will be open right?

the-reason14

Space mt. is my ride! I love that coaster, cant do WDW without as it just wouldnt be the same. Thanks for the pictorial memory and I cant wait to get on it again because the DL one didnt give me my fix.

DarthGrady

Thanks for posting the pics, brought back memories! I had almost forgotten about the model with the spacemen in it that used to be by the entrance. I miss the old tomorrowland, I hope the next renovation is a little less Alien and a little more Star Trek. But I'm probably in the vast minority on that one. :p

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
The thing is...there really is a story for Space Mountain, especially when RCA sponsored it.

First off, many know that in the 1960s for Disneyland's New Tomorrowland, there was a proposal for "Space Port", designed by John Hench. (George McGinnis, who helped work on Adventure Thru Inner Space, also helped with the 70s modernizing of what became Space Mountain". It's very interesting because John Hench's original sketch is very fluid and curved and by the early 70s when him and George and others were colaborating, they decided it should be 70s mod and very angular...thus the mountain we have today. :)

The name Space Mountain really comes from the fact that there were the Bobsleds of Matterhorn Mountain in Disneyland's Tomorrowland (which appropriately moved over to Fantasyland) and that for a full fledged outerspace rollercoaster....it would be a mountain...a Space Mountain for Tomorrowland....and thus it has been.

Now, story wise....Space Mountain is a nickname or a code name. The one in Florida is actually Space Station 75, but due to it's architecture as it orbits in Space, it does, to a visiting spaceship, look like some otherworldy snow covered mountain floating in space....thus Space Mountain. :wave:

It's strange because...how do you enter the story of Space Mountain. You clearly see that it has landed back on Earth in Tomorrowland....it is certainly Tomorrowland's Space Port and the TTA loves to pick up those crazy folks who live out in the HooverBurbs. :lol: But it's never been explained how the Space Mountain experience begins.

You enter the grounded Space Station 75 outdoors, on earth. I assume that as soon as you enter the lobby with the Milky Way mural, you have arrived at Space Station 75 in outer space from your own spaceship. As walk down the star corridor (very Hilton Hotel in 2001:A Space Odyssey...inspired) you look out windows with stars spinning by. Now, originally, and some of you folks may remember this....there were holographic like projections on these windows. There was an astronaut riding a moon buggy among others. It was either during the big 1985 refurb or 1994 refurb when these were deactivated or removed. Martin, I beleive is trying to investigate this further. It would be wonderful if this effect could be restored and "switched on", just like they did a couple of years ago to the "city of tomorrow is a great electric machine working for you" which hadn't worked in over 10 years on the TTA!

As we head into the zig zag corridor, so many of the speakers are blown out you can't hear the awesome groovy sounds...you just hear the main bass, but I know Martin added all the other sounds in the soundtrack to his Space Mountain tribute vid.

The zig zag corridor windows used to be narrated by both a male and female. For example, if you're in the standby queue and the very first zig zag window you encounter is the spinning astroids...the narration for that was "Sweeping through outer space, in the great gap between Mars and Jupiter, in a solar orbit, gigantic tumbling boulders, mini-planets, tracked by precise instrumentation developed by RCA aboard explorer ships, scan and analyze space debris."

The ship thats docked on the lift hill is the same ship you see in the various windows of the zig zag queue, it is an RCA explorer ship, and it once played a vital role in the RCA-Space Mountain story.

I have never been able to get all the recordings for the zig zag queue and know of no home movie or audio recording that has them. All I know is the script for the first window curtosey of widen your world.

This piece of Space Mountain history whether in video form or audio form is something I'd really like to see. :wave:

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
"The Radio Corporation of America welcomes you to Space Mountain and the Home of Future Living."

ckfux.png

Image belongs to Mark Thompson at Walt Dated World. It's the only picture of Nipper in the UFO that I've ever seen.

EPCOT Explorer

The thing is...there really is a story for Space Mountain, especially when RCA sponsored it.

First off, many know that in the 1960s for Disneyland's New Tomorrowland, there was a proposal for "Space Port", designed by John Hench. (George McGinnis, who helped work on Adventure Thru Inner Space, also helped with the 70s modernizing of what became Space Mountain". It's very interesting because John Hench's original sketch is very fluid and curved and by the early 70s when him and George and others were colaborating, they decided it should be 70s mod and very angular...thus the mountain we have today. :)

The name Space Mountain really comes from the fact that there were the Bobsleds of Matterhorn Mountain in Disneyland's Tomorrowland (which appropriately moved over to Fantasyland) and that for a full fledged outerspace rollercoaster....it would be a mountain...a Space Mountain for Tomorrowland....and thus it has been.

Now, story wise....Space Mountain is a nickname or a code name. The one in Florida is actually Space Station 75, but due to it's architecture as it orbits in Space, it does, to a visiting spaceship, look like some otherworldy snow covered mountain floating in space....thus Space Mountain. :wave:

It's strange because...how do you enter the story of Space Mountain. You clearly see that it has landed back on Earth in Tomorrowland....it is certainly Tomorrowland's Space Port and the TTA loves to pick up those crazy folks who live out in the HooverBurbs. :lol: But it's never been explained how the Space Mountain experience begins.

You enter the grounded Space Station 75 outdoors, on earth. I assume that as soon as you enter the lobby with the Milky Way mural, you have arrived at Space Station 75 in outer space from your own spaceship. As walk down the star corridor (very Hilton Hotel in 2001:A Space Odyssey...inspired) you look out windows with stars spinning by. Now, originally, and some of you folks may remember this....there were holographic like projections on these windows. There was an astronaut riding a moon buggy among others. It was either during the big 1985 refurb or 1994 refurb when these were deactivated or removed. Martin, I beleive is trying to investigate this further. It would be wonderful if this effect could be restored and "switched on", just like they did a couple of years ago to the "city of tomorrow is a great electric machine working for you" which hadn't worked in over 10 years on the TTA!

As we head into the zig zag corridor, so many of the speakers are blown out you can't hear the awesome groovy sounds...you just hear the main bass, but I know Martin added all the other sounds in the soundtrack to his Space Mountain tribute vid.

The zig zag corridor windows used to be narrated by both a male and female. For example, if you're in the standby queue and the very first zig zag window you encounter is the spinning astroids...the narration for that was "Sweeping through outer space, in the great gap between Mars and Jupiter, in a solar orbit, gigantic tumbling boulders, mini-planets, tracked by precise instrumentation developed by RCA aboard explorer ships, scan and analyze space debris."

The ship thats docked on the lift hill is the same ship you see in the various windows of the zig zag queue, it is an RCA explorer ship, and it once played a vital role in the RCA-Space Mountain story.

I have never been able to get all the recordings for the zig zag queue and know of no home movie or audio recording that has them. All I know is the script for the first window curtosey of widen your world.

This piece of Space Mountain history whether in video form or audio form is something I'd really like to see. :wave:
Wow. Very in depth....I could have sworn that it was just a spaceport this whole time. :D

Good to learn something new about Disney. :)

EPCOT Explorer

Space mt. is my ride! I love that coaster, cant do WDW without as it just wouldnt be the same. Thanks for the pictorial memory and I cant wait to get on it again because the DL one didnt give me my fix.

Cool pic! :D

Though, if anything, I hope the entrance looks more imposing...and frankly, more clean.

BrerFrog

I love this thread.

SM is my favorite WDW ride and even though I got to know it with the Arcade by its side, I just hate that building. I remember back when I was on my College Program I would get to work an hour earlier so I could try to ride it. I think I must have ridden it over 30 times before the program was over. :ROFLOL:

I am looking forward to see what this refurb will do to the ride's exterior and interior, even though I think it will take me some years before I see it in person. So i expect lots of pics here. :kiss:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom