News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

GlacierGlacier

I don’t know what people think they are seeing on the exterior wall. It looks like CMU between steel columns. 8” is a standard thickness and even 12” isn’t too unusual. Nothing special and any insulation would be installed later.
There's a sizable gap between the steel supports for the roof and the concrete blocks of the exterior wall which is rising. People are assuming this gap is used for sound proofing, which is (in my opinion) silly.

lazyboy97o

There's a sizable gap between the steel supports for the roof and the concrete blocks of the exterior wall which is rising. People are assuming this gap is used for sound proofing, which is (in my opinion) silly.
Looking at the lower level photos, I was reading the rebar for columns in the exterior wall as solid in the aerial photos.

NoChesterHester

Openings are your biggest issue in exterior walls in stopping noise transfer. This building has none. A concrete wall with minimal insulation is plenty to stop medium frequency noise. If they are building a true double wall with airspace there is no way you will hear anything. It just isn’t as big of deal as people are making it out to be.

Missing20K

We went through the sound "problem" some time ago.
I arrived a few days early for my WDW trip and was at Epcot yesterday. I used a decibel meter app on my phone and stood under the turn of Test Track. It peaked at 76 decibels, which is only a little bit louder than the average NYC street. At the distance the wall of the restaurant would be, it drops to around 70 decibels.

Ordinary commercial construction would have no problem blocking that.
That's a loud conversation. Just points to this "soundproofing problem" being 100% clickbait.

For some reference:
NOISE-LEVEL-CHART-LOUD.jpg

A typical "busy restaurant" maxes out at 90 dB.

Sound from TT inside the restaurant will not be an issue. Diners will hear line cooks screaming at each other before they ever hear a Test Track vehicle screaming by outside.

Also, unless they are using a product such as this, Acoustical Masonry, they have not installed any sound attenuating insulation yet (should they even need any). With a typical CMU cavity wall, typical 8" CMU with metal stud, resiliant channels and 5/8" drywall, you get, quite conservatively, a 45 STC rating, which by a heuristic method, calculates to an approx. 45 dB reduction from one side of the wall to the other. All things remaining equal, this theoretically reduces the TT sound from @MisterPenguin's observed 76 dB to a very comfortable 31 dB inside the restaurant.

There will be no sound transmission from TT vehicles to the inside of the restaurant. I'll take any and all bets.

dennis-in-ct

You can see from the @bioreconstruct pic how much sound insulation/buffer there is...
View attachment 350464

The building could be a real design asset to Test Track. Depending on how the outside painting/lightning effects are it could greatly improve the Test Track show for the rider.

I can envision some led lighting strips to add some motion. Etc.

Creathir

Just had an interesting thought.

Given the location and the theme being an orbiting space station, and the fact that Mission Space Green just goes up into LEO...

I wonder if they plan on using a pod or two for optional accents up to and back from the station.

Obviously, not everyone would want to, so an optional space elevator would need to be made available for those less inclined to take a rocket up...

Probably far fetched, but I know I’d love the immersive experience of riding up and back down...

Darth Snips

Given the location and the theme being an orbiting space station, and the fact that Mission Space Green just goes up into LEO...

I wonder if they plan on using a pod or two for optional accents up to and back from the station.

Obviously, not everyone would want to, so an optional space elevator would need to be made available for those less inclined to take a rocket up...

Probably far fetched, but I know I’d love the immersive experience of riding up and back down...
I agree that it’s probably a long shot, but that would be awesome! Maybe they could at least insert the station into Green’s video. Like maybe we fly past the station and see people eating inside while we’re in orbit. That sounds doable.

lazyboy97o

The Green centrifuges are on the opposite side. There is also emergency egress and maintenance access, including the pit that goes to the basement, located between the space restaurant and the centrifuges.

Creathir

If anything that would be less immersive than what they currently have planned.

The design of mission: space doesn’t allow for the ride boarding and exiting experience to be very immersive unless you’re only attempting to be a training simulator.
Given that the green do not spin, you could theoretically build small rooms for the pod entry/exit to occur, with a rollback curtain draped over the top of the pod to further increase the illusion.

Creathir

The Green centrifuges are on the opposite side. There is also emergency egress and maintenance access, including the pit that goes to the basement, located between the space restaurant and the centrifuges.

I’m not sure where the green are located at specifically, but I would imagine moving them may be as simple as signage modification.

I still think it would pretty awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom