News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

yensidtlaw1969

the graphics are well done, I feel the biggest distraction was how the room reflects in the 'windows' the high-hats and purple light on the ceiling are just too present in the views of space:

View attachment 620308

Indeed. The big green EXIT sign reflections are a bit of a bummer. This is the nature of glass though

It is possible to use treated glass to keep reflections down to a minimum - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train did this to the picture window in the Dwarf's Cottage a short time after opening because on a sunny say all you could see were the guests reflected back in the mine cars rather than the cottage interior.

It does, however, cost $$$. But I think it would have been useful here.

UNCgolf

It is possible to use treated glass to keep reflections down to a minimum - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train did this to the picture window in the Dwarf's Cottage a short time after opening because on a sunny say all you could see were the guests reflected back in the mine cars rather than the cottage interior.

I don't think the reflections are the biggest issue anyways -- I think the astronauts etc. that float by don't look remotely real.

Admittedly I haven't been in Space 220, so it could absolutely work better in person, but in photos/videos they really break the illusion.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

I don't think the reflections are the biggest issue anyways -- I think the astronauts etc. that float by don't look remotely real.

Admittedly I haven't been in Space 220, so it could absolutely work better in person, but in photos/videos they really break the illusion because of how fake they appear.
They're definitley not, like, especially convincing in person.

My biggest gripe with them is that the laser projection system for the stars doesn't duck out as the astronauts float by - so it ends up looking like they're passing behind the star instead of in front of it, which is silly. They use very similar technology in the Rise of the Resistance hangar scene, only there they properly douse the stars as a ship "passes by". So they CAN do it, they just didn't, which is silly since people get a much better look at the Space 220 windows than the hangar scene which you're rushed by.

EDITED To Add: What I'm referring to can be seen in this video, the middle astronaut in particular passes "behind" a couple of stars:

Patcheslee

My biggest gripe with them is that the laser projection system for the stars doesn't duck out as the astronauts float by - so it ends up looking like they're passing behind the star instead of in front of it, which is silly. They use very similar technology in the Rise of the Resistance hangar scene, only there they properly douse the stars as a ship "passes by". So they CAN do it, they just didn't, which is silly since people get a much better look at the Space 220 windows than the hangar scene which you're rushed by.

EDITED To Add: What I'm referring to can be seen in this video, the middle astronaut in particular passes "behind" a couple of stars:

I didn't think there were stars on the projection. Realistically there shouldn't be

lazyboy97o

It’s also something they could have designed around. This is exactly where 3D modeling and virtual reality can really be used as design tools. That though would also require actually making and sticking to decisions.

UNCgolf

That's pretty bad, although my main issue is still that they don't look like real people (again, only in photos/videos). Those astronauts look like outdated video game graphics from 5-10 years ago.

yensidtlaw1969

I didn't think there were stars on the projection. Realistically there shouldn't be
That's my point - there shouldn't be. But in person it was plainly obvious when it happened and the video I linked to shows more than one example of it.
That's pretty bad, although my main issue is still that they don't look like real people (again, only in photos/videos). Those astronauts look like outdated video game graphics from 5-10 years ago.
I agree that they already felt outdated at opening - I also felt like the graphics in the Elevator weren't especially convincing either.

Come to think of it, this really is an issue in nearly every instance of CGI at the Space pavilion. And considering that most of the show and illusions in that pavilion are CGI-based you'd think they'd have taken the pains to make them look good.

At least they're consistent, I guess.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

That's my point - there shouldn't be. But in person it was plainly obvious when it happened and the video I liked to shows more than one example of it.

I agree that they already felt outdated at opening - I also felt like the graphics in the Elevator weren't especially convincing either.

Come to think of it, this really is an issue in nearly every instance of CGI at the Space pavilion. And considering that most of the show and illusions in that pavilion are CGI-based you'd think they'd have taken the pains to make them look good.

At least they're consistent, I guess.

Disney has some of the most talented CGI artists in the industry working for them between ILM, Pixar and WDAS.

I don't know why their theme park CGI can't look as good (especially for what they spend).

CntrlFlPete

You all should know I’ve seen reflections in the glass every time I’ve been in space. That’s what lit things in dark spaces do.

No one whines when it’s a ghost in the glass at Haunted Mansion!

when I'm in space and want to see the views, I turn off the inside lights.

I know there are reflections in glass -- I just found the reflections rather distracting.

but then again, my family enjoyed the food -- we went as my daughter wanted to eat there for her birthday -- but my wife and I enjoyed our meals.

yensidtlaw1969

Disney has some of the most talented CGI artists in the industry working for them between ILM, Pixar and WDAS.

I don't know why their theme park CGI can't look as good (especially for what they spend).
I've always thought that Theme Park CGI should look *better* than Film CGI - when you're watching a movie there's a remove, you're not necessarily meant to believe what's happening in front of you is fully real. But in a theme park setting, often the CGI is literally meant to substitute for reality - you're supposed to believe it IS real, AND happening right in front of you. Especially given how many attractions use CGI as a substitute for a practical effect . . . that CGI had better be REAL convincing.

We expect a practical trick to sell us on the reality of the intended effect, and yet there seems to be this understanding that CGI is not expected to live up to that in most theme park applications. It goes back to something I talk about a lot with "Illustration vs. Illusion" - where illustration is meant only to show you "this is the part where this happens", and illusion is meant to make you say "something unbelievable just happened, and yet I witnessed it with my own eyes". It's the difference between reading about a magician pulling a rabbit out of his hat in a picture book and actually seeing a skilled magician do it in person. One is purely about telling the story, and the other a visceral experience.

This to say, given how intelligent audiences are today about the use of CGI and how easy it is for them to detect it, any use of it in a theme park setting should be held to the highest possible standard to give the best chance that the guest buys into it as reality. That we're so palpably far from that is a big part of why so many guests lament the use of "screenz".

G00fyDad

Finally nabbed a reservation here!

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

pdude81

Frankly, my hesitancy is the food menu. $55 at lunch and $80 at dinner is an expensive meal. The choices aren't... optimal... Maybe it's an issue of simple food for simple folks. But, I'd like to be able to get good spring salad, soup, sirloin steak and bread. And, I'd pay the $80 for the experience. Seems that my family isn't their target audience.
Honestly I think the menu is about the same, and with lunch you don't get dessert included. Lunch is better though because you may not really want to stuff yourself. Also keep in mind that the lounge offers a la carte dining and you can sit in the inner ring near the bar. You might be placed at the bar but I assume you could ask for one of the little tables.

G00fyDad

Wouldn't it be nice if Disney Dining (are you listening Disney??) had the site set up to show which days had availability right there on the calendar? Sort of like the Park reservation system. (Oh look! The ability to do it is already there Disney!) Not necessarily the times for the day but whether or not that day even had ANY availability at all. That way you are not going through the calendar day by day one at a time until you find something.

ToTBellHop

Wouldn't it be nice if Disney Dining (are you listening Disney??) had the site set up to show which days had availability right there on the calendar? Sort of like the Park reservation system. (Oh look! The ability to do it is already there Disney!) Not necessarily the times for the day but whether or not that day even had ANY availability at all. That way you are not going through the calendar day by day one at a time until you find something.
They book too quickly for that to be possible. Numerous times, I’ve been trying to book a place, clicked on an available time, and had someone take it from me.

Last edited:

OceanBlue

Honestly I think the menu is about the same, and with lunch you don't get dessert included. Lunch is better though because you may not really want to stuff yourself. Also keep in mind that the lounge offers a la carte dining and you can sit in the inner ring near the bar. You might be placed at the bar but I assume you could ask for one of the little tables.
Are the reservations all window seats?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom