Space 220 - is it a real elevator?

lazyboy97o

LOL, this is going to places I didn't intend! All I wanted to know was whether the restaurant was on the lower floor or upper floor, if the building was tall enough for two storeys.
The entry space was originally designed as two stories and even had an unused elevator shaft.

The entry space was a late addition for Compaq that was intended as a meeting and demonstration space for their guests. Because it was a late addition it couldn’t be added to the sponsor lounge so it connected by a walkway that went over the attraction queue. During construction, HP completed their acquisition of Compaq and decided they did not want the extra space so it was never finished and fitted out for use.

fgmnt

Wait whattt???
Yes. Transformers was shipped over from Hollywood, where space constraints there required the second level. Since its so compact, they were able to plop it right in the middle of USF. they built that thing in a hurry, i think 13 months?

It’s a pretty sophisticated system involving elevator pairs near the start and around the climax of the ride. During the really long sequences on video screens, try to look around the sides of the vehicle to spot it; i find it more interesting than the ride’s content :).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The entry space was originally designed as two stories and even had an unused elevator shaft.

The entry space was a late addition for Compaq that was intended as a meeting and demonstration space for their guests. Because it was a late addition it couldn’t be added to the sponsor lounge so it connected by a walkway that went over the attraction queue. During construction, HP completed their acquisition of Compaq and decided they did not want the extra space so it was never finished and fitted out for use.
Very odd it was too (the elevator was actually fitted believe it or not) but imagine a metal staircase with steel rope railings and a concrete mezzanine balcony overlooking nothing. Lots of dirty bare concrete and exposed metal roofing.

osian

Original Poster

construction.jpg

Tom Morrow

Yes. Transformers was shipped over from Hollywood, where space constraints there required the second level. Since its so compact, they were able to plop it right in the middle of USF. they built that thing in a hurry, i think 13 months?

It’s a pretty sophisticated system involving elevator pairs near the start and around the climax of the ride. During the really long sequences on video screens, try to look around the sides of the vehicle to spot it; i find it more interesting than the ride’s content :).

Specifically when Optimus says "Autobots: roll out!" is when you begin moving up.

"He wants the AllSpark? He can HAVE it!" = beginning of the downward descent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom