Soul at Epcot

trainplane3

I see this with AK a few more years with a re-imagining and renaming...
With a tacked on press release saying:
Walt loved animals so we're adding magic to the Animal Kingdom! Also look, we have a 100% true, unpressured statement from Joe Rohde saying he supports the project (he DEFINITELY said that and we didn't make it up) and will be overseeing it from outside the boardroom with complete control over what types of trees we use in this area of the park.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
A wonderful film but absolutely does not lend itself to a ride at all.
That's a terrible opinion. You're telling me that the same company who made rides based on Song of the South, a car company, Aerosmith, an elevator, and a greenhouse wouldn't be able to create an attraction based off of the emotional roller coaster that is Soul? Just a TINY bit of creativity and you could work with a LOT of ideas from this film. Yeesh.

Tony the Tigger

I liked the movie, though I don't want anymore IP at Epcot. The only place I could see a Soul attraction going is Imagination, which I would hate because that'd mean we won't ever get the proper Dreamfinder and Figment attraction.
But if the concept of Soul had been integrated into an attraction before a movie, that would have been original, right? 🤔

Haymarket2008

That's a terrible opinion. You're telling me that the same company who made rides based on Song of the South, a car company, Aerosmith, an elevator, and a greenhouse wouldn't be able to create an attraction based off of the emotional roller coaster that is Soul? Just a TINY bit of creativity and you could work with a LOT of ideas from this film. Yeesh.

😂 they absolutely could create an attraction, doesn’t mean they should. All of the rides you mentioned have no connective tissue to the point I’m making. Some films don’t need a ride. Simple as that. 🤷🏼‍♂️

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
A wonderful film but absolutely does not lend itself to a ride at all.

Why not ? Tiger himself could be the corpoate protagonist who stalks guests in thier omnimover sucking the joy out of life and forcing them into grey cubicles to toil out the remainder of their existence.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've always thought that the America Pavilion could use a jazz band. While Fife & Drum and a capella renditions of American folk songs are very American, so is the one musical style recognized around the world as originated in America [through a sycretistic amalgam of other cultural musical styles], namely, Jazz.

Disney wants to check the diversity and authenticity boxes? Then put a Black jazz combo in the American Garden Theater. Soul gives the perfect opportunity to do so and IPize it at the same time. The Soul of Jazz!

As far as an attraction, such as a ride... I can't think of a way to even do that. Nothing in the film, IMO, lends itself to being a ride. It would be like having a ride based on Freaky Friday.

Cmdr_Crimson

Coming soon: Apple Dumpling Gang mine train on TSI..
ca3ce5661f36a63d48edf0560b41db87.jpg

Inspired Figment

I agree. Soul is a wonderful movie, but I'm not sure it would make a great ride. Any ride would most likely be just a moving retelling of the story. It definitely would not make for a good replacement to Spaceship Earth.
Yeah, the most I could see is maybe a multimedia show similar to Making of Me or Cranium Command. But a full-on elaborate darkride?? Probably not. But in any case, I really feel we need less film based IP in places like EPCOT and we need to get back to doing more completely new, original park-exclusive ideas like in the past.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah, the most I could see is maybe a multimedia show similar to Making of Me or Cranium Command. But a full-on elaborate darkride?? Probably not. But in any case, I really feel we need less film based IP in places like EPCOT and we need to get back to doing more completely new, original park-exclusive ideas like in the past.

Oh lets have fun! New for 2022: Protology Command and the Making of Wee.

The Empress Lilly

the same company who made rides based on Song of the South, a car company, Aerosmith, an elevator, and a greenhouse wouldn't be able to create an attraction based off of the emotional roller coaster that is Soul?
You are - surprisingly! 😜 - actually spot on here. The creative team, not the source material, decides the quality of an attraction.

You can turn a 40 minute exposition about fossil fuel into a riveting show (Energy), and a 3 minute thrill ride based on the world's best action SciFi/Fantasy IP into an uninvolving snorefest (Smugglers' Run).

Although our final conclusion might differ: therefore, popularity of IP should/should not be the first consideration.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
...destroying any credibility of being actually educative by feeding into the myth propagated by the corporate sponsor that oil comes from dinosaurs.
It’s a great fan misconception that this is what was said in the ride. Contrary to that, the original script was to travel back to the general era when fossil fuels were formed - an era when dinosaurs happened to populate the earth.

The Ellen version dumbed it down so much as to be ambiguous.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Much like the thread title.

😁
Hilarious. But no valid points have been made outside of “ew, IP” or “I dont wanna!” 🤷🏻‍♂️ Which, I know it SEEMS like I dont agree with, but I do. However, with the new direction Epcot goes, im all in favor of Soul going into Epcot moreso than Guardians, Frozen, and Rat.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Any ride would most likely be just a moving retelling of the story.
Must not have read my post.

Rides don’t need a conflict. Especially at Epcot. The attraction would essentially be close to the same, but the theme would change to purpose and spark, as opposed to the history of communication. And it would essentially be narrated and followed by a couple of characters from the film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom