Soul at Epcot

Inspired Figment

I liked the movie, though I don't want anymore IP at Epcot. The only place I could see a Soul attraction going is Imagination, which I would hate because that'd mean we won't ever get the proper Dreamfinder and Figment attraction.
Agreed on the proper Dreamfinder & Figment/Journey Into Imagination attraction bit. Though I disagree on it “only fitting in Imagination”. *If* it were to fit anywhere in the park. It would’ve been the Wonders of Life pavilion as that’s the entire theme & message of the movie. Living & appreciating every little thing life has to offer. Soul had nothing to do with exploring the possibilities/potential of your imagination or explaining the creative process... and the whole “finding your spark” point they bring up in the film has to do with occupations that supposedly inspire you to live the life you want.. again, that has nothing to do with the actual creative process (collecting various thoughts, sounds, colors, or ideas.. and then recombining them in your own unique way to create new things) or your creative abilities being used to their highest potential *in* whatever occupation you choose, not to mention, ultimately, the concluding message of the movie itself is that your “spark” or “interest/passion” *isn’t* the only reason for living. So it wouldn’t make sense even in that case. The definition & purpose of “a spark” in Soul vs the Original Journey Into Imagination are completely different.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

And I think the Imagination pavilion as a whole shows us best why the whole “Film IP (in this case being the “Honey, I Shrunk”IP with elements of other science college/institute film lazily/carelessly shoehorned into an attraction or park not meant for it”) is a terrible idea. It’s honestly shocking to me Disney seems to have never learned from the Journey Into YOUR Imagination/With Figment debacle when it comes to this problem. They continue to make the exact same mistake with every proposal they come up with, whether it be the Honey I Shrunk series, Inside Out, Flubber, Monsters Inc. or whatever else. It’s always shoehorn a film IP & theme/concept that literally has nothing to do with anything the original ride explained or was about. The Imagination pavilion is not about Senses, it’s not about inventions or science experiments, it’s not about emotions, it’s not about scream power repurposed for electricity/energy... it’s freakin’ CREATIVITY & IMAGINATION itself, period... (NOT what simply Stimulates it, but what you can DO with it & How) which the original ride & Dreamfinder & Figment showcased perfectly. I don’t get why that’s so hard for them to understand.
(Oh, and PS: Imagination is not just purely “free/uncontrolled thinking” or “looking at everything upside down” either...)

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Also, like everyone else here... I too agree, that if there’s anything we don’t need more of in EPCOT currently. It’s lazily (or carelessly) shoehorned film IP attractions placed throughout the park.
I consider Guardians, Moana, and Frozen lazy because they don’t have Epcot vibes and seem to be ‘easy wins’ for Disney. I wouldnt consider an elaborate attraction based on Inside Out or Soul lazy as they would both fit perfectly with the theme of Epcot and it would also require imagineers to challenge themselves to make a unique attraction on them.

Inspired Figment

I consider Guardians, Moana, and Frozen lazy because they don’t have Epcot vibes and seem to be ‘easy wins’ for Disney. I wouldnt consider an elaborate attraction based on Inside Out or Soul lazy as they would both fit perfectly with the theme of Epcot and it would also require imagineers to challenge themselves to make a unique attraction on them.
Well right & I agree with that. However, I still believe there should be a proper balance between both new original & film IP based attractions at WDW. And that they should try to fit, particularly film based properties in pavilions and/or parks that’d actually make sense for them. Both Inside Out & Soul would be a perfect fit for the Wonders of Life pavilion, but certainly not a pavilion like Imagination. Particularly since Imagination already has Dreamfinder & Figment for characters. It’d be one thing if a Future World pavilion had no lovable icon or character whatsoever... but in that case, it’s redundant. Should’ve just left it as it is, just enhanced it with modern tech & spfx.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

And in something like Cranium Command’s case. You could easily keep the original show, But you could have it alternate between different versions of the show at different times.. say like an Inner Workings & Inside Out overlay but with Buzzy & General Knowledge included in both. (Taking control of the various characters’ in the overlays minds/heads & their bodily and/or mental functions) Most folks tend not to have an issue with overlays as long as it doesn’t permanently replace the original show or ride.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
I never said put these films in imagination. If anything, Pixar should make a human body cinematic universe with inside out, soul, and figment+dreamfinder.

Bring em all together at Epcot to tie it in.

Inspired Figment

I never said put these films in imagination. If anything, Pixar should make a human body cinematic universe with inside out, soul, and figment+dreamfinder.

Bring em all together at Epcot to tie it in.
I didn’t mean to exactly aim that point/argument towards you specifically.. but just the general common (IMO, flawed) notion some folks seem to have/put out there, that anything that takes place in the mind or has anything that’s abstract in nature has to fit/go into the Imagination pavilion, when that simply isn’t the case.
But in the whole concept of having Pixar own Dreamfinder & Figment & the concept of Imagination.. a little iffy on that. Like, I certainly don’t mind the possibility of the characters & concept being brought to other mediums. But I think if anything, Disney ought to focus on fixing & bumping up marketing on the theme park attraction first (which is what introduces both the characters & the idea/concept to us) and seeing how that does, *then* making a film or series continuation (or prequel, like the comic series) of that... Know what I mean?

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
I didn’t mean to exactly aim that point/argument towards you specifically.. but just the general common (IMO, flawed) notion some folks seem to have/put out there, that anything that takes place in the mind or has anything that’s abstract in nature has to fit/go into the Imagination pavilion, when that simply isn’t the case.
But in the whole concept of having Pixar own Dreamfinder & Figment & the concept of Imagination.. a little iffy on that. Like, I certainly don’t mind the possibility of the characters & concept being brought to other mediums. But I think if anything, Disney ought to focus on fixing & bumping up marketing on the theme park attraction first (which is what introduces both the characters & the idea/concept to us) and seeing how that does, *then* making a film or series continuation (or prequel, like the comic series) of that... Know what I mean?
I get what you mean. From a business standpoint, I doubt It’ll happen though. The best thing for Disney to do is take from the Figment comics, make a movie on em, have Figment’s popularity go up, and then upgrade the attraction. That’s the only way Disney as a company will see it worthwhile.

Inspired Figment

I get what you mean. From a business standpoint, I doubt It’ll happen though. The best thing for Disney to do is take from the Figment comics, make a movie on em, have Figment’s popularity go up, and then upgrade the attraction. That’s the only way Disney as a company will see it worthwhile.
Right, and I totally see your point there. But ya know.. I honestly think it’s weird & a shame that Disney honestly just doesn’t take the risk/chance on Imagination like they did with attractions like Mystic Manor in HKDL & Sindbad in TDS. Those were very much large successes & produced recently. It’s just weird to me... I would think that would be proof enough that not every new attraction has to be a popular film or show based IP in order to be viable or popular. Figment merchandise still sells like wildfire, so did the comic series when it was released. It just doesn’t make sense how even with that clear data, they don’t see the need to make that jump & restore it back to it’s former glory with the enhancements I mentioned.

DreamfinderGuy

Here's my take (not that anybody asked for it). EPCOT doesn't need any new IP hammered in, but Soul feels like a natural fit for something like a rebooted Wonders of Life (which will also never happen). That makes two Pixar IPs they could use to justify putting something worthwhile in that pavilion again. To echo the fan theories of the last five years, Inside Out could anchor the whole pavilion with a dedicated Cranium Command-esc attraction, and Soul could be the theme for some interactive exhibits, think like the footprint of the Sensory Funhouse but with some new activities for the kiddos. Would even fill the void they're trying to with the whole Play Pavilion thing. Are either of these necessary to redo Wonders of Life? Of course not, but it's the only way something like that could ever be approved again. It wouldn't fit anywhere else in the park either, sans Innoventions if done right.

Regardless, it's a straight to Disney+ one off film that doesn't have an established fanbase as of writing, nor does it have the box office returns to justify any parks representation. The Pete Docter pavilion remains as nothing more than a fan's dream. Come back to me when there's a Soul 4 and we might get it in the Imagination Pavilion or something idk

Inspired Figment

OG Epcot isn't coming back.
That very well could be true.. but at the same time, that doesn’t mean we could never receive a ‘new’ EPCOT that retains those same core values & overall vision while bringing ‘some’ (keyword is some) things we loved from the past back enhanced with new tech & spfx ‘along’ with creating ‘brand new’ attractions, characters, concepts, and experiences in the same vein.
Just current/new management is garbage, way too narrow minded, & needs to be replaced with people who actually “get it”.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
As I’ve said many times. But that’s no excuse to turn it into a wannabe Mk or DHS, aside from being cheap(er) and easy.
Inside Out & Soul don't fit in either of those two parks in my opinion. They make more sense in new-age Epcot.

That very well could be true.. but at the same time, that doesn’t mean we could never receive a ‘new’ EPCOT that retains those same core values & overall vision while bringing ‘some’ (keyword is some) things we loved from the past back enhanced with new tech & spfx ‘along’ with creating ‘brand new’ attractions, characters, concepts, and experiences in the same vein.
Just current/new management is garbage, way too narrow minded, & needs to be replaced with people who actually “get it”.
I agree. But I doubt any new form of management will ever do that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom