...sooo embarressed!

chels26

Original Poster
oh man. i am soooo embarressed right now! I'm in my one of my classes as we speak.. and they are asking about what we want to do with our lives. and since i am really outgoing, i raised my hand and just said "I want to work for disney" and the whole classes started laughing! These people just don't get it.. and whats worse is i hate being embarressed about how much i like disney..

this ever happen to anyone before?(not the same situation but something similar..)

lilclerk

oh man. i am soooo embarressed right now! I'm in my one of my classes as we speak.. and they are asking about what we want to do with our lives. and since i am really outgoing, i raised my hand and just said "I want to work for disney" and the whole classes started laughing! These people just don't get it.. and whats worse is i hate being embarressed about how much i like disney..

this ever happen to anyone before?(not the same situation but something similar..)

My mom and sister pick on me for liking Disney so much. But I think, deep down, they really want to go too ;)

hcswingfield

You will have the last laugh. While your classmates trudge to some dull cubicle in their dull gray business suits, you will be at the happiest place on earth, making magic.

Since1976

I don't think they were laughing to make fun of you. Rather, they probably never seriously considered that working for Disney can be respectable, even personally rewarding. Kids are often taught to think that there are only a handful of great career choices (doctor, lawyer, marine biologist, whatever), and sadly, careers in entertainment (beyond the higher profile ones like acting) are given short shrift.

I wish I had considered Disney when I was younger. I'd probably still be doing what I do now (I'm in IT), but working for the Mouse would be so much more fun. Come to think of it, I guess it's not too late!

Eyorefan

Once in a collage poetry class I said that a poem reminded me of Disney. The only thing I remember about the poem is that it was talking about how the world could be a better place if we embrace our imaginations. I said that there already a better place, and it's Disney World.

The class had a big laugh, but I know I was right.

TheBeatles

people always give me the cutesy "ahhhh" reaction when i tell them i like either mickey mouse or disney.

i'm still not sure what to make of it.

Mick G.

You could always phrase your ideal career differently, to make it more impressive. Something like, "I would like to work in public relations for a multi-national entertainment corporation." People also work for Disney in many ways, from management to accounting to construction to animation to IT to imagineering, and these are some great careers with good income. Even theme park work can lead to better positions up the ladder.

I've also found that having Disney on your resume can be helpful later in life, even if my job description was "Monorail Operations."

dizzney

They envy us for liking Disney, day in day out I get asked why do you like it so much, my license plate is DIZZNEY, my brim thatt I wear on the soccer field all teh time is minnie, don't know how many tee-shirts I own (wearing a pooh sweater set now) and forget my house and the DH and DS, Ds and DD are all on board, my answer is I just do!

Work for the mouse, my DH wants to retire and be a greeter at WDW!:wave:

sbkline

I don't really have much desire to work for Disney, but it's pretty crappy that people would belittle you if that's what you want to do.

westie

At least you had an answer. I can guarantee you that the other 99% had absolutely no answer other than,"Uh, Dad's car lot?" Feel proud!

Fantasyland-er

Don't be embarressed at all! working for disney is an excellent goal. They are the Number 2 media company in the world and a fortune 100 (i think) company. I want to work for disney one day in advertising... in fact in about a year Im applying for an internship at ABC Studios in new york. Anyone of your classmates would be lucky if they got to work for disney.

Hang in there kid.

Princess_Belle

What you encountered today is basically the story of my life! I am at Auburn University majoring in Hotel and Restaurant Management, and every time I tell some I want to work at Disney they laugh and ask me if I am going to be Belle! I kindly responed i would love to be Belle but I want to work in a Hotel at Disney. I dont think people understand that there is more to working at Disney than just being a character. So, trust me I know exactly how you feel!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Its the same sort of thing if you admit wanting to go to Disney for vacation...people may laugh...but when they go they always have a good time themselves.

Keep your dreams!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom