Sony & MARVEL are friends again; Spider-Man is back in the MCU

doctornick

Venon in the MCU would be good. The version of Venon from last year's movie? Please no. Not only was the movie horrible, but the whole tone of the film wouldn't jive with the MCU.

BlakeW39

If we're gonna get mad at someone, it should be Disney. They had to renegotiate for a deal which Sony obviously wouldn't like. Let's face it: Disney just doesn't think Spidey is that important. If they did, they'd make it work. But they know that he doesn't generate that much so that the deal is even worth it. And with the new FOX characters they care even less. Spidey isn't making as much money as Avengers films; he is not essential to growth. Storywise, however, this will officially make the MCU a complete MESS.

Take it with a huge grain of salt obviously but hope its true.

https:///2019/09/sony-disney-spider-man-ba1/

It's reeallly unlikely, just being realistic. From what we know of the contract and how the two companies are playing it off.

bartholomr4

It's reeallly unlikely, just being realistic. From what we know of the contract and how the two companies are playing it off.
[/QUOTE]

I believe the contract negotiations are about what Disney/Marvel get in the form of additional control of the Spiderverse for moving from 50/50 to 70/30. Your point is well taken, but Spider-man is the most popular (financially) Marvel character. in 2011, Marvel peeled away some of the rights they had and solidified their hold on the character. in 2015, they negotiated the deal allowing Spider-man into the Avengers and most importantly the control to drive the direction of the character / plot (which makes it hard for Sony to just move Tom Holland to a new paradigm) and emotionally attached the character in the fan's eye to the MCU. I think the vast majority of fans blame this on Sony, not Disney/Marvel.

It would be hard for me to believe Disney/Marvel would hold out for the 20% as the difference is a drop in the bucket in the overall return on the MCU. Instead I think the rub here is on who controls production, story lines etc. and how much control is Sony willing to chip off of the Spiderverse and release to Disney/Marvel. Getting Venom and the other spiderverse characters as available to Kevin Feige chips away control from Sony, which will be hard to get back after the agreement expires.

If I am Disney/Marvel I am thinking long ball here and what would move the needle on getting control of the Spiderverse.

bartholomr4

https:///2019/09/oped-thanks-to-app...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

@AnotherDayAnotherDollar You may be interested in this!

From the OpEd....
"NOW, Yahoo Finance reported that Apple is working on a “big acquisition” to help beef up its own immanent streaming service. Guess who’s on Apple’s acquisition shortlist — Sony Pictures. Sony’s CEO has stated previously that the company won’t be sold. But with a company that has a market cap of almost $990 Billion (at the time of this article’s publication, that market cap is $988.6 Billion) it’s not hard to believe Apple could give Sony an offer it couldn’t refuse.

AND according to a Forbes report, a complete no-deal walk-away situation with Spider-Man could cause Sony’s stock to drop to a point that makes an acquisition or merger an even bigger possibility. This would happen if Sony Pictures lacked the capability to maintain the value and profitability of stand-alone Spider-Man movies on its own. History shows the best Spider-Man movies to be ones with Marvel and Kevin Feige at the helm, so that does not bode well for Sony."

If true, this adds some more fuel to the motivations of each side.....

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
If we're gonna get mad at someone, it should be Disney. They had to renegotiate for a deal which Sony obviously wouldn't like. Let's face it: Disney just doesn't think Spidey is that important. If they did, they'd make it work. But they know that he doesn't generate that much so that the deal is even worth it. And with the new FOX characters they care even less. Spidey isn't making as much money as Avengers films; he is not essential to growth. Storywise, however, this will officially make the MCU a complete MESS.

Spider-Man: $821,708,551
Spider-Man 2: $783,766,341
Spider-Man 3: $890,871,626
The Amazing Spider-Man: $757,930,663
The Amazing Spider-Man 2: $708,982,323

The non MCU Spider-Man films dont generate that much yet they brought in more money than 9 of the MCU films.

mikejs78

Premium Member

The non MCU Spider-Man films dont generate that much yet they brought in more money than 9 of the MCU films.
Most of those 9 were all early MCU. Since the beginning of phase 3, only Doctor Strange and Ant Man and the Wasp fell below those Spider Man movies.

BlakeW39

Flawed argument...

Those 9 MCU movies are almost entirely early MCU, before Marvel made a name for themselves in way they have today. However that's irrelevant, because we're talking about Spider-Man in the MCU and not all of the other heroes.

Far From Home made much more than Homecoming for two reasons. Firstly, since Homecoming in the MCU established Spider-Man as an MCU character and that gave him both a badge of quality and a story intertwined with other popular films. Secondly that Sony, with the last 3 Spidey films, successfully damaged the brand and that took time to heal. Of course this was compounded by its placement after Endgame in a major way.

bartholomr4

Will be interesting to hear what else is in the deal.... The release only talks about one more Spider-man movie and a MCU Marvel movie Spidey will be in... Wonder if this includes any of the other Spider-verse characters and their movies..... I love Kevin Feige's comment about "you don't know what other surprises the future might hold"

Darkprime

Great news but I wish the deal was longer it seems its only a 2 picture deal for now. Does that mean 2-4 years from now we're gonna go through this whole song and dance again? Seems like a short renewal to allow Feige to properly setup Spidey's exit from the MCU hope I'm wrong though.

erasure fan1

Great news but I wish the deal was longer it seems its only a 2 picture deal for now. Does that mean 2-4 years from now we're gonna go through this whole song and dance again? Seems like a short renewal to allow Feige to properly setup Spidey's exit from the MCU hope I'm wrong though.
Yup. The 2 movies will come out, Sony will think they are the greatest studio, and they will try to flex their nonexistent muscle. Then lather, rinse, repeat. We can only hope that by the time this deal ends, Sony will realize that the MCU is where spidey belongs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom