Sonny Eclipse of Cosmic Ray's

hpyhnt 1000

You see, this is the type of merchandise Disney needs to start making! I wouldn't mind having a plush doll of him. And a rock n' roll style shirt would be cool too. :cool:

WDWFigment

Original Poster
In browsing the forums, I just stumbled upon someone's avatar that looks like the Sonny Eclipse sticker previously mentioned:
image.php

Does anyone have any more information about this...perhaps a sticker they could scan and email to me? I want to make a tour poster for Sonny, and this would be perfect!

Tink's Favorite

This Sonny Eclipse talk brings up a good avenue for marketing. Instead of marketing Magic Kingdom shirts, sell us location shirts and merchandise. Cosmic Ray's merchandise would sell, no doubt. Sonny Eclipse as well. I always had a problem with them not selling X-S Technologies merchanidise. I saw Alien Encounter stuff, sure, but I could never find X-S Tech stuff.

For that matter, the theme for that Tommorowland era, the Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center passed without a lot of merchandise, if I remember correctly. That stuff would have been cool. And now that the era has passed, it would be vintage. Sort of.

I could go on, but I think you all get the idea.

alilance

My sister worked at Disney World last year in the College Program and she has a Sonny pin! I'll ask her where she got it! The funny thing is when my little sister was really young she was scared of Cosmic Rays and of Sonny!! I would pick her up and bring her inside and she would cry! Mean huh! She loves him now and has since forgiven me!!!:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Oops, would have posted this earlier, but I forgot about the thread. Here is a scan of the sticker:

Sonny_clean.png

go here if you want the full resolution (and without the black background):
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=34182&cat=500
Also, I did try to clean it up myself, so if you want the raw original scan, don't hesitate to ask me.

If anyone can vectorize the scan, let me know, cause I'd like that.

Thanks! I wasn't quite sure how to vectorize (unless I have to use the pen tool in CS3, which would've made it a pain in the rear to do), but I put a vector mask on it (which probably didn't do anything, lol). I also put it through a high pass filter to sharpen it a bit.

Sonny_clean.png

WDWFigment

Original Poster
This Sonny Eclipse talk brings up a good avenue for marketing. Instead of marketing Magic Kingdom shirts, sell us location shirts and merchandise. Cosmic Ray's merchandise would sell, no doubt. Sonny Eclipse as well. I always had a problem with them not selling X-S Technologies merchanidise. I saw Alien Encounter stuff, sure, but I could never find X-S Tech stuff.

For that matter, the theme for that Tommorowland era, the Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center passed without a lot of merchandise, if I remember correctly. That stuff would have been cool. And now that the era has passed, it would be vintage. Sort of.

I could go on, but I think you all get the idea.

I think you hit the nail on the head. But, it seems with as consumer-oriented as Disney is, there must be a reason for them not making that merchandise (predictions that it wouldn't sell, perhaps?). In Sonny's case, I can't imagine the merchandise not selling. He's one of the most photographed things on property, I think enough people would be willing to purchase some of his merchandise. Disney could test the water by making a single shirt or plush in a limited run, and see how that sells.

Besides, it's not like their marketing department has never been wrong...they almost missed out on the chance to sell Epcot 25th merchandise, and we all saw how that flew off shelves.

Jorodi25

I too would buy any merchandise that had to do with Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe or Sonny Eclipse. T-shirts, key chains, magnets, plush...they would all be great. The poster displayed near the Tomorrowland entrance with Sonny on it would be one of the coolest souvenirs ever. I'd like to see all of those posters (Tomorrowland Towers, etc.) available.

I wish they would have more attraction-specific merchandise in general, without any traditional Disney characters incorporated in the designs. Someone else mentioned the lack of X-S Tech merchandise when Alien Encounter was open. That would've been awesome.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
New CoP poster (in the park, not for sale), maybe it's time to be on the look out for new Sonny stuff? (one can dream...)

Figments Friend

As a long time fan of Sonny's, i have to totally agree that Disney would do well to make some Limited Ed Merch based on him. Heck, try out a shirt and see what happens. Even if it is sold through a collectors club or the like, or maybe even a Passholder item..just get it OUT THERE and see what the reaction would be.

I love Sonny. I discovered him about 5 years ago and have faithfully gone back to Ray's to watch him for at least a couple of show cycles. He is GREAT. I tell everyone i know that is about to visit WDW "Hey, be sure to grab a meal at Ray's and see Sonny!". He is awesome!

:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom