Sonic Themed Land at WDW

Miru

It would be neat to see other Sega games get representation. Design-wise, though, I could see how a theme park might lean to just Sonic for that land, much like how Super Nintendo World is basically just Mario.
More or less. Regardless, at least merchandise and/or small references would be nice.

DashHaber

Just in case anyone's interested, this whole thread inspired me to take a crack at designing a Sonic land. I've posted it over in my Imagineering Toybox thread.

Evilgidgit

Oh, nice. How have the ideas been for that? I know I've had plenty of thoughts over the years about a Nintendo park, myself.
Well, here is an incomplete rundown of my ideas:
--The park would be split into several "zones", with a Sega-themed hotel and arcade at the entrance.

City Zone; cityscape based on downtown Shibuya.
--Crazy Taxi Chaos, Radiator Springs Racers but with a Crazy Taxi theme, racing to get guests to their "destination".
--Virtua Fighter stunt show.
--Jet Set Radio playground, and an interactive app game to graffiti hidden spots around the park.
--Burning Rangers Rescue, soak 'em water ride to put out simulated fires.
--Comix Zone dark ride.
--Virtua Cop shoot 'em dark ride (possibly like the Ninjago ride at Legoland).
--Adam and Alex's, indoor play area based on Streets of Rage.
--Shops and diners based on Streets of Rage (The Pine Pot Breakfast Bar), Crazy Taxi (Yellow Cabe Cafe), Yakuza (Happy Karaoke Bar, Smile Burger), and shops for the major rides.

Speed Zone; tropical themed based on Sonic the Hedgehog's Green Hill Zone.
--Primarily themed around Sonic.
--High speed coaster with a vertical spinning coaster -- i.e. Sonic spindashing around the GHZ.
--Tails-themed plane spinner.
--ROTR-sized dark ride based around Knuckles the Echidna, an adventure on and through the Angel Island to save the Master Emerald from Dr. Eggman.
--A Test-Tracked or Radiator Spring Racers ride based around OutRun.

Dream Zone; a permanent nighttime sci-fi carnival, possibly indoors.
--NiGHTs into Dreams suspended dark ride; Journey Into Imagination-style.
--Space Channel 5 stageshow.
--Billy Hatcher dark ride or kiddie coaster around a snowy castle in egg-themed carts.
--Ristar and Chu Chu Rocket spinners.
--Fantasy Zone monorail.

Adventure Zone; the Adventureland of the park.
--Super Monkey Ball mouse coaster with "gyroball" vehicles.
--Samba de Amigo, a psychadelic, wild wooden coaster with jaunty Mexican soundtrack.
--Entire area dedicated to both Skies of Arcadia and Panzer Dragoon, the former with a huge Waterworld-style stunt show, and the latter has a Flight of Passage simulator.

Monster Zone; the "mysterious" region of the park, home to more scarier thrill rides.
--An Ecco the Dolphin ride, either a water ride or a simulator -- think Alien Encounter but underwater.
--House of the Dead haunted house dark ride.
--Altered Beast animatronic walkthrough.
--A water coaster Golden Axe attraction based around Death Adder's mountain.

DashHaber

--The park would be split into several "zones", with a Sega-themed hotel and arcade at the entrance.

--Crazy Taxi Chaos, Radiator Springs Racers but with a Crazy Taxi theme, racing to get guests to their "destination".
--Jet Set Radio playground, and an interactive app game to graffiti hidden spots around the park.
--Comix Zone dark ride.
--Shops and diners based on Streets of Rage (The Pine Pot Breakfast Bar), Crazy Taxi (Yellow Cabe Cafe), Yakuza (Happy Karaoke Bar, Smile Burger), and shops for the major rides.

--High speed coaster with a vertical spinning coaster -- i.e. Sonic spindashing around the GHZ.
--ROTR-sized dark ride based around Knuckles the Echidna, an adventure on and through the Angel Island to save the Master Emerald from Dr. Eggman.

--Billy Hatcher dark ride or kiddie coaster around a snowy castle in egg-themed carts.
--Fantasy Zone monorail.

--Samba de Amigo, a psychadelic, wild wooden coaster with jaunty Mexican soundtrack.
--Entire area dedicated to both Skies of Arcadia and Panzer Dragoon, the former with a huge Waterworld-style stunt show, and the latter has a Flight of Passage simulator.

Monster Zone; the "mysterious" region of the park, home to more scarier thrill rides.
--An Ecco the Dolphin ride, either a water ride or a simulator -- think Alien Encounter but underwater.
Oh, wow. That's actually a pretty solid selection of lands. Those five lands feel like they do cover the general spectrum of Sega titles well.

Miru

--Comix Zone dark ride.

--Fantasy Zone monorail.

All we need from there are Arle’s Primp Town Fair and Persona: Underworld’s Edge.

DashHaber

All we need from there are Arle’s Primp Town Fair and Persona: Underworld’s Edge.
Oh, good call, especially on the Puyo Puyo mention. Those puzzle games are a classic franchise for Sega, and I'd love seeing some sort of representation for them. Maybe a show set in the Primp Town Magic School, like a 3D show or animatronic show.

Miru

Anyways, can we start developing “Chaos Control” now? It would be pretty nice to try and develop it. First things first, location... Since this is WDW, Animal Kingdom seems like a good taker, or perhaps Studios, even if him being the first video game attraction there could be a pinch odd. Animal Kingdom’s Asia would be a nice place to homage the series’s roots...

But we gotta make it mesh, so no giant Louis the Alligator statue or anything like that. See how rides like Splash Mountain, Mr. Toad and company, even some newer ones like RSR and TLM are able to somehow blend among many other attractions and the landscape without being a sore thumb. Checkered textures would be used to subtly guide riders into the experience contained within the building, which looks mostly like any other architecture in the land, with only subtle Sonic elements. Once you get to the sign, it is modeled somewhat after signposts seen in the games; but still with a more arcane and rustic look fitting in with the land, it’s shape should call memories to mind, not its texture. On the sign is written “Chaos Control: an adventure presented by the minds at Disney and SEGA. Starring Sonic and friends.”

Continuing through the queue, immersion into the Sonic universe begins with the sight of mosaics depicting various events from the franchise, much in the vein of the ones in Sonic 3 and Adventure. You can also hear Eggman rambling as he is looking through the ruins for a Chaos Emerald. Note an obelisk depicting Eggman’s familiar visage, along with graphics of Echidnas and Emeralds, as you progress through the queue, similar to the obelisk in Temple of the Forbidden Eye. Keep walking, and we come into a narrow, rocky corridor, at the end of which is a projector screen.

Last edited:

Miru

Remember, Sonic used to be at Innoventions in Epcot. In a hypothetical revival of Innoventions, I'd bring back the Sega parts and make a Sonic walkaround character for the kids. It'd be heavily based on Classic Sonic and Sonic Mania.

Also, check this out: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EEnzm2nJOmAKIGfT8__MynLNQQm0Sl_QeVzHJil86Ks/edit?usp=sharing
I could see SEGA in the Play Pavilion at least. Arle might work if we need a face character added in. And Mania is a good choice for the primary base. Anyways, Chaos Control uses EMVs, albeit a new model allowing them to pull loops and corkscrews.

J4546

in an alternate reality, both sega and nintendo are thriving and have their own dedicated theme parks in japan. NintendoLand and SegaLand. Both of them have enough IPs to fill up multiple themed areas. And since this is all fantasy, screw it, have them face each other with a shared prominade like DisneyLand and California Adventure.

MickeyMouse10

I would love to see what a Sonic section would look like in real life. I used to love the games when I was kid. I even had him on one of my birthday cakes.

It would probably be best to do what Nintendo is doing though and have him be just one of a slew of games (Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi) spread out among the land. A Sega version of Fantasyland, where you can put different IP's/games.

like Sonic, Toe Jam and Earl, Altered Beasts, etc

MickeyMouse10

Disney is more likely to make a Wreck it Ralph section with arcade characters (Pac Man, Qbert, Street Fighter, etc) though. It would connect with Pop Century's 80's section very nicely and it's one of their own IPs.

Okee68

Seaside Hill would probably be the best location to base the area's overall aesthetic on. It's a more realistic version of Green Hill (meaning actual palm trees, soil, and flowers can be used instead of tacky artificial equivalents), and the ancient white-and-red stone structures are a unique addition that would make for some really great, memorable architecture. You could include a Riders-esque futuristic aesthetic for signage and various amenities, and you can't forget the iconic Vipnagorgialla font.

vipnag.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom