Sonic Themed Land at WDW

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
This comment couldn’t be more poorly timed.

Saying the movie alone means the IP is super popular again is a bit of a stretch. The last few games have been poorly received. Forces was good but everyone hates it. Lost World and Boom were destroyed. People still say the only good 3D Sonic game is Adventure 2 when they couldnt be more wrong.

Donaldfan1934

Saying the movie alone means the IP is super popular again is a bit of a stretch. The last few games have been poorly received. Forces was good but everyone hates it. Lost World and Boom were destroyed. People still say the only good 3D Sonic game is Adventure 2 when they couldnt be more wrong.
I get that the franchise has been pretty divisive for the past 15 years or so, but divisive doesn’t equal unpopular. The fact that people still care enough about the games to keep up with them means there’s still a devoted fan base willing to consume other pieces of Sonic media. Also, let’s not pretend the success the movie means nothing to the future of the franchise as a whole. Rising tides raise all ships as they say.

Miru

I get that the franchise has been pretty divisive for the past 15 years or so, but divisive doesn’t equal unpopular. The fact that people still care enough about the games to keep up with them means there’s still a devoted fan base willing to consume other pieces of Sonic media. Also, let’s not pretend the success the movie means nothing to the future of the franchise as a whole. Rising tides raise all ships as they say.

Well, until around 2013; that is...

If we absolutely CAN’T use Disney’s internal video games for whatever reason, I’d actually shoot for Capcom, given their Disney games, Marvel Vs. Capcom, the number of WIR cameos, the 20th Century Studios Megaman project...

Donaldfan1934

The Penders lawsuit and Lost World (due to the “kiddy” elements of the latter), managed to blow a lot of the remaining wind out of the franchise.
As already established, the franchise has had a lot of ups and downs over the years. However, the franchise is currently on an upswing with the movie However, the franchise is currently on an upswing with the movie and for better or for worse, the staying power of a franchise that’s lasted for nearly 30 years can’t be denied.

Miru

As already established, the franchise has had a lot of ups and downs over the years. However, the franchise is currently on an upswing with the movie However, the franchise is currently on an upswing with the movie and for better or for worse, the staying power of a franchise that’s lasted for nearly 30 years can’t be denied.
Agreed. Thank goodness for the movie. But still, I feel Busch would be a better fit. A restaurant themed around Eggman would work.

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
I know this is a huge bump, so I apologize.

But the reason the last few games were so poorly received is because they were so mediocre. Forces wasn’t good. There are plenty of better 3D Sonic games than SA2, but Forces isn’t one of them.

Regardless of how the games have been received, the characters have always been popular, and with gameplay that is often described as “rollercoaster-like”, it’s a perfect fit for a theme park.

Imagineer Brandon

i think most of sonic is horrible but i don't really see that being too relevant to the discussion. no matter your feelings on it, sonic is like a zombie which will come back to haunt us every few years. it's a brand with staying power. and if they can get away with stuffing that avatar crap in, they can get away with sonic.

anyways, on topic, i think it'd work great in green hill zone. i mean, just look at the concept art from sonic generations. it doesn't look too far off something an imagineer would come up with.
gh1.PNG
gh2.PNG
gh3.PNG
gh4.PNG

DashHaber

i think most of sonic is horrible but i don't really see that being too relevant to the discussion. no matter your feelings on it, sonic is like a zombie which will come back to haunt us every few years. it's a brand with staying power. and if they can get away with stuffing that avatar crap in, they can get away with sonic.

anyways, on topic, i think it'd work great in green hill zone. i mean, just look at the concept art from sonic generations. it doesn't look too far off something an imagineer would come up with. View attachment 522013View attachment 522014View attachment 522015View attachment 522016
Green Hill Zone would be a good basis to go with for a Sonic-related land. It's probably the most iconic Sonic-related level, and one that plenty of guests would easily recognize.

At the very least, there'd have to be some sort of roller coaster in such a land.

DashHaber

Albeit, we could try it as perhaps a stand-up ride for more of the franchise experience. And anyone else want to see OTHER SEGA games get some representation?
It would be neat to see other Sega games get representation. Design-wise, though, I could see how a theme park might lean to just Sonic for that land, much like how Super Nintendo World is basically just Mario.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom