Song of the South Release Rumor – Announcement This Month?

JLW11Hi

I bet that the main reason it is such a hard issue with SotS compared to the more racy "pop" music/moviesof today is because it is a children's movie, intended for children (and families). I guess people are just afraid to tell their children about slavery for some reason...funny how everyone wants to shield them from true-life history! Couldn't it be seen as a history lesson, at least?

But if they don't release it for the children as Disney usually does it would be nice if they at least released it for the Disney/animation fans!

MicBat

Originally posted by Wildman113
During my last trip to Disney World, my dad said that he would love for Song of the South to be released again (cause he remembers the initial release) ... which got me on a search for it when we got home. To my surprise, it had gotten a whole bunch of flak because of its 'insensitivity to slavery' or something to that effect. However, it shows much about the culture of that very important time in American history.

Which got me thinking, why would a film be put out of commission when so much has come of it that Disney presently uses?

One of the most popular rides (a landmark), Splash Mountain, is themed around this movie. "Watch out for Brer Rabbit's Briar Patch!" is the tagline for the attraction. Brer Rabbit... I'm sure a lot of young people today wonders where that character came from. And while I'm ranting, let's go back to the culture. Nobody calls their brother "brer." Just another one of the idioms that is part of America's history.

Another thing is the popular song "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah." If the movie isn't available for people to enjoy, why even use the song from it? I'm sure a lot of new Disney fans wonder which movie that came from, even if they could GUESS it came from a movie!!

I'm from the south, and I have to say, people down here deal with racism a whole lot better than up north or elsewhere. It's the idiots who have got their panties in a wad. Not only does Jesse Jackson run around making babies, he's got time to point the finger, and ruin everything that is good and right. Yea, I said it!

Now isn't that something; he's a reverend and doesn't have a church...

I've been wanting to get that out for a while now. Thanks for the space.

Kyle
Very good points you brought up there, Kyle! Being someone that's, both, seen the movie and grown up in the south, I see nothing wrong with the way that slavery is portrayed in reference to children seeing it. As I said before, the overall theme of the film is a beautiful. If you think about the time in which it was released, african americans were somewhat revered in the south. This movie shows how a slave and a little white boy become best friends... Oh well... first they'll complain that it portrays slavery, then when they actually see the film, they'll complain that it portrays it has being "too happy." :rolleyes:

Mirage

it WOULD be really nice to see it come to dvd and video.
It's such a good movie(although i usually just fast-forward to the animation stuff).

I really don't understand what the big deal about it is...it's NOT racist.

MsSnuzi

I vaguely remember seeing this movie - I would love the chance to see it again.

The Mom : I love the quote in your signature - "Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." - mind if I borrow it - I know some people that it directly applies to!

General Grizz

I've had the pleasure to see Song of the South multiple times this month. The film is a DEFINITE classic! Uncle Remus is one of the best "Disney" characters - ever.

This thing *needs* to be released. Kick out Eisner and follow Roy and Stan in their quest for a new CEO; they support its release.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I doubt that it will be released anytime soon...

that being said, it is a prized possession at Casa MKT.

Legacy

I am still dreaming for this thing to be released. I had a record-read-along to all of the Brer Rabbit stories and would love to see the film.

Sir Hiss527

Any new news of Song of the South? I really am hoping for this movie, to come to video. I mean everybody wants to see, the story behind Splash Mountain, especially me. Everytime I go on that ride, I hate telling friends, and tourists, what the ride is about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom