Some wild (and some not-so-wild) rumors on WDW Radio Show Podcast - January 6th

themarchhare

Original Poster
Rumors from "reputable sources" as the host states:
-No new news about ABC Theater - same stuff we've already heard
-Scripting Haunted Mansion pre-show - again - same stuff we've heard
-Contemporary DVC Building - will be same height as Contemporary Tower minus the California Grill - also, Concourse Steakhouse is expected to move to the new tower and its' space in the original building will made into an expansion of Chef Mickey's
-Third theater for Soarin' likely - film change also likely akin to "Soarin' Over the World"
-What isn't coming in the near future:
-Nothing new in the 20K spot - therefore, for the very near future; Pooh's Play Spot is "permanent" (shudders).
-Nothing planned for the Tomorrowland Theater.
-Nothing planned other for DHS other than what's already under construction.
-No new pavilions planned for WS.
-Nothing planned for the WoL pavilion.

Now the wild stuff:
-Not only will the Legendary Years of Pop Century not re-open, they will be torn down.
-A new resort could be coming - old plans to build a Mediterranean resort on the Seven Seas Lagoon are apparently a possibility again. The resort was first speculated to be built between the Contemporary and the TTC. Now it is rumored to be built in between the TTC and the Polynesian resort.

And now the wildest rumor:
-Plans for a quasi-5th gate just past AK (not Beastly Kingdom) are possibly in the works. The park would be on the very high-end and would be a "night" park with hours like 4 PM-midnight. The park would be filled with thrill rides and other attractions. Here's the kicker: the park would be all-inclusive, meaning that food would be included with the approximately $300 entrance fee admission.

Could this be the widely-tossed Project H?

Discuss:

WeLComeHomE OKW

i dont get why people keep making stuff up about a 5th gate. it would be incredibly irresponsible of Disney to even think about such things.

DHS does have more planned. That rumor was incorrect. And also, Disney isnt gonna throw more money into Soarin'. It is incredibly popular, and therefore they have no incentives and will see no returns out of that investment.

The only thing I believe is that they will tear down Legendary Years at Pop Century. Cuz, come on people, it hasnt opened and there have been no clues that it will. With Disney's logic, they are probably saying, "why build quality budget hotels when we can get people to join more DVC resorts?"

RiversideBunny

Speaking of new resorts -

I've been thinking that they need a resort themed like Tudor England.
Something like Shakespeare's hometown, or such.

:king::king:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Rumors from "reputable sources" as the host states:
-No new news about ABC Theater - same stuff we've already heard
-Scripting Haunted Mansion pre-show - again - same stuff we've heard
-Contemporary DVC Building - will be same height as Contemporary Tower minus the California Grill - also, Concourse Steakhouse is expected to move to the new tower and its' space in the original building will made into an expansion of Chef Mickey's

So this would suggest that the steakhouse will reopen? I had thought that the new "Wave" restaurant being built where the Food N Fun Center was is the replacement for the steakhouse, despite having a different menu. Interesting.

-Third theater for Soarin' likely - film change also likely akin to "Soarin' Over the World"

I know Soarin' has long lines, but a third theater seems unnecessary to me, unless the new film greatly increases its popularity, which seems unlikely, since the current film is pretty darned good!

[/INDENT]Now the wild stuff:
-Not only will the Legendary Years of Pop Century not re-open, they will be torn down.
-A new resort could be coming - old plans to build a Mediterranean resort on the Seven Seas Lagoon are apparently a possibility again. The resort was first speculated to be built between the Contemporary and the TTC. Now it is rumored to be built in between the TTC and the Polynesian resort.

Um...Pop Century Legendary not "re-open". It never was open. Just a couple unfinished buildings exist

And now the wildest rumor:
-Plans for a quasi-5th gate just past AK (not Beastly Kingdom) are possibly in the works. The park would be on the very high-end and would be a "night" park with hours like 4 PM-midnight. The park would be filled with thrill rides and other attractions. Here's the kicker: the park would be all-inclusive, meaning that food would be included with the approximately $300 entrance fee admission.

Could this be the widely-tossed Project H?

I can certainly understand that a 5th park would try to go in a very different direction, possibly targeting a different demographic, becuase otherwise there's just too much cannibalization. Most people can't really extend a vacation another couple of days to see another park, so you need to go after a different group to justify the expenditure. And I hear that Discovery Cove still remains popular, so perhaps there is a market for an exclusive experience. But thrill rides? I can't believe that would be the way to go. People who can afford to drop $300 for a night of entertainment aren't teenagers -- I don't see thrill rides attracting the $300/night crowd. Perhaps an upscale dining experience with a broadway stage show, some immersive attractions and couple of thrills, but something focussed on thrill rides at this price proint sounds like it would miss the mark.

But it certainly is a "wild" rumor, as advertised!

From what i hear, a third theatre for soarin is pretty much on the cards. The lines do get up to 4 and a half hours on the busiest days.

It's what ive been hearing for the past 3 months anyway...

Fun2BFree

I would personally hate that proposed 5th Gate idea. Something that extortionately expensive wouldn't appeal to me regardless of thrill rides or as much food as I could eat. Besides, why are those two even at the same place?

Pay attention: Lots of free food + Thrill rides = :hurl:

Anyhow, I would imagine that this proposed 5th Gate would alienate many lower-budget families who would rather go to SeaWorld or both Universal parks for less.

mousefan1972

Umm.. it's physically impossible to build a resort between the Poly and TTC as their grounds pretty much touch.

I was just going to say the same thing. The walk from our room in Tahiti to the TTC was about 3 minutes to the monorail entrance. Unless WDW throws up a pup-tent and calls it a resort, there is no way anything can be built between the two.

OmegaKnight

I would love to see a new Soarin' movie thats themed more towards Epcot. I love the current movie, but it definitely is restricting in its footage with it only being from California. A 3rd theatre would definitely be a very welcome addition to the most popular attraction in the history of WDW (based on guest approval ratings.)

emh1960

I saw pictures or video on a site recently of someone walking through the unfinished Pop buildings. I think it is very possible for them to be razed. They look like they should be condemmed. It would be too expensive to resume construction.

I think a Mediterranean themed resort would be great (being of Sicilian heritage, I would like it). However, I think the seven seas lagoon is a bit crowded (or will be with another resort).

Not that anyone is asking, but how about putting it on the north side of Bay Lake. I don't know how the ground is over there, but I think it would be a good area. The ferries could still take people to the MK, a road is plausible for bus transport or a brisk walk from there to the Contemporary would be good to get to the monorail.

As far as the 5th gate...sounds like bad news...$300 for admission and food...like already stated...thrill rides + all you care to eat = :hurl:

Besides a price that high is almost prohibitive...would that be for one day? Isn't that amount close to the cost have a 7 day MYW with park hopper?

I think that someone needs to call serious BS on that.

Finally, what about the rumor of the WS Japan stuff...Didn't someone write a haiku that suggested a Mt. Fuji ride? No word on that?

Some of those rumors are far fetched, but one or two may have some validity.

banimall

That would be depressing if they tore down the Legendary buildings from Pop Century. I love the theming of the current Pop Century and anything new would be great, although I question what they would do for the Depression Era. Too bad they let them get so dilapidated. They need more value resorts though, unless you book way in advance you have no chance of of getting in.

5th gate, they better be pouring Cristal for $300 / person

mep517

No kidding! And if it's only open for from 4-midnight, can you really get $300 worth of value out of that? I like the idea of a more developed night area (especially with PI taking such a nose dive) but don't love the inclusive thing.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
That would be depressing if they tore down the Legendary buildings from Pop Century. I love the theming of the current Pop Century and anything new would be great, although I question what they would do for the Depression Era. Too bad they let them get so dilapidated. They need more value resorts though, unless you book way in advance you have no chance of of getting in.

They're not dilapidated at all. After looking at that youtube video it appears that it is all concrete with a stucco facade. It just looks bla because it has no color on it. The color of concrete is very boring. It really wouldn't take much to finish them. The plumbing is all there. The center wall needs to be added and then just finishing out the interior and theming the exterior. I guess they don't feel that it is worth putting anymore money into it...:shrug:

sittle

... project H???

Project H(ilton)?? Is that it?? I can't find mention on wdwmagic or google.... anyone want to spill some beans.... ?

Can someone shed

AUBandPilot

As far as the Mediterranean resort goes the host only said "closer to" the Poly (vs. closer to the Contemporary). Not between the TTC and Poly.

Pop Century - Legendary Years: I had heard (first person from a senior PC Manager) that if/when (likely would) construction of LY resumes, the 2 "hotel" buildings would have to be razed....but not Legendary Hall.

All these rumors were prefaced with the idea that they were far-fetched, most were not likely, but at least intersting to talk about.

cpeterstx

Umm.. it's physically impossible to build a resort between the Poly and TTC as their grounds pretty much touch.

Good Point. I have always heard it would be built between the Poly and the Grand or between the Grand and the MK. Who knows. Probably won't happen in my lifetime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom