Some quick thoughts from our trip

Just got back 8 hours ago from our trip. We absolutely HATE the Fastpass change. The reason we hate it is because the E ticket rides are spaced out so much and the return times conflict with each other. I wonder if this wouldn't be as much of a problem during non-peak times. For now our vote is that we hate it.

On that topic, if Disney is going to enforce Fastpass times, then when are they going to enforce no flash photos, no holding places in line, and no smoking in general areas? Also, I'm going to have a sticker made for our backpack for our next trip that says "Warning: bumping into this person may result in the occasional accidental elbowing of your face".

We can't figure it out, but it just seems to us that people behave better at Universal as opposed to Disney. We can't understand it because I'm sure that many of the same people visit both places. I hardly had anyone bumping into me at Uni, and it seems to be a better experience each time we visit. This saddens me because I LOVE Disney and I've got my wife talked into moving to the area mainly because of my love of the place and the fact that my company has a distribution center down there.

That being said, we've got our trip booked for September, so hopefully things get better on this next trip. Thanks for reading!

devoy1701

As a woman in her 30's it feels ridiculous for a man to be "made" to give up his seat just because I am standing. I have two feet--I can stand just fine--seems too out of date. I run marathons, yet I need a man to give up his seat *rolls eyes*. And a kid is a kid--they are built for standing and have insane endurance and for the most part like to stand better anyway!

And nobody knows why a person is sitting. Health issues. Tired. Need the rest. It is beyond rude to make a comment to someone in that situation and only demonstrates a lack of manners on the part of the person making the comments. It is NOT your business. What right do you have to say anything snide to another person in that situation? You want to be a "gentleman" and make yourself feel like you are a beacon of civility? Fine--go ahead-stand away. But leave the rest of us alone.

I was going to say something along these lines, but this is another one of those topics that have been beaten to death here. Plus it wouldn't sound the same coming from a man. ;)

Thank you for saying it for me.

RSoxNo1

As a woman in her 30's it feels ridiculous for a man to be "made" to give up his seat just because I am standing. I have two feet--I can stand just fine--seems too out of date. I run marathons, yet I need a man to give up his seat *rolls eyes*. And a kid is a kid--they are built for standing and have insane endurance and for the most part like to stand better anyway!

And nobody knows why a person is sitting. Health issues. Tired. Need the rest. It is beyond rude to make a comment to someone in that situation and only demonstrates a lack of manners on the part of the person making the comments. It is NOT your business. What right do you have to say anything snide to another person in that situation? You want to be a "gentleman" and make yourself feel like you are a beacon of civility? Fine--go ahead-stand away. But leave the rest of us alone.

Before this is taken the wrong way, let me clarify that I am in no way calling you a feminist, I just wanted to share my thoughts on this:
If someone offers you a seat, don't take offense. If you need it, accept it and thank them, if not politely decline or offer it up to someone else that may potentially need it.

This isn't the appropriate scenario for women to show that they're just as good as men. People are being nice to you, they're not talking down to you or demeaning you. If people continue to react negatively to nice people offering up their seats, then nice people will ultimately stop offering their seats to people that actually do need it.

devoy1701

Before this is taken the wrong way, let me clarify that I am in no way calling you a feminist, I just wanted to share my thoughts on this:
If someone offers you a seat, don't take offense. If you need it, accept it and thank them, if not politely decline or offer it up to someone else that may potentially need it.

This isn't the appropriate scenario for women to show that they're just as good as men. People are being nice to you, they're not talking down to you or demeaning you. If people continue to react negatively to nice people offering up their seats, then nice people will ultimately stop offering their seats to people that actually do need it.

I think she was coming from the idea that all men should give up their seats to a woman or child. Not particularly that no man should give up a seat in this day and age because woman are more than capable of standing. If a person wants to offer up a seat I don't think anyone should take offense to that. But I also don't believe someone should take offense to someone not offering up a seat as well. We've discussed many times over that you cannot tell just from looking at someone what their story or situation is, so there's no point in taking offense. Sure we can have our doubts about a person but ultimately, if a person offers a seat, take it as a kind gesture, if no one offers a seat, no one was obligated to in the first place.

I would expect a woman to give up a seat to a man in some cases anyway. :lookaroun

^This. I normally don't agree with Draybook, but he is dead on with this one. EVERYONE is tired after a day in the park, but I always offer my seat to a woman or child. Even my 12 year old son has been doing this since he was 8. Manners have gone by the wayside in society.

I think it also shows a lack of manners to expect someone to give you a seat. If it is offered, graciously accept it if you need to. That shows manners. Going off on another person because they didn't behave the way you think they should? That shows a distinct lack of a manners.

As the old saying goes, two wrongs don't make a right.

Musophile

I guess I am the stupid one…I always thought your HAD to come back during the printed window. It would seem to me that it would make sense to have a return time window in order to help improve crowd flow. You can’t make a restaurant reservation for noon, and then show up four hours later and expect a table, right? Getting a FastPass ticket shouldn’t give you the right to use it anytime the rest of the day…that just seems like it defeats the whole purpose of the FastPass system.

We absolutely hate the enforcement of fast passes!!! Never saw anything wrong the 9 other times we have come in the last five years. My biggest other issue was all the refurbs and green walls that were up everywhere even our resort. I spent more time reading signs that Sid we are remodeling for your future enjoyment. I understand things need to be taken care of ,but when I asked a cast member he said it was because we are not in peak season!!! My rear every resort was booked and it was packed.

Honestly, the way I see the crowds these days in "low season" I don't think there is such a thing as "low season" anymore. Just seems to switch between "OMG crazy crowded" to "busy" for most of the year. Between the tour groups, school groups, and discounts to lure people to vacation outside of school holidays--the usual times of year I like to visit the parks for low crowds are no longer so pleasant. For example, it used to be that October was a great time to go; I could book a room at a value resort to crash after MNSSHP with just a few week's notice. Now you have to be booked months in advance. Prices for higher resorts are not much lower in January these days than they are later on in the spring!

Sure, it's annoying when there are walls everywhere and stuff goes down for work ... but it has to happen sometime, as has been said. Frankly, I don't mind the walls as long as I know that eventually something is being fixed/built behind them. But I have heard people really griping about "all the walls"--on this board and on others--and it just mystifies me.

As for the FP debate, for some it's going to completely ruin their day and for others they'll notice no change at all. Each side is going to loudly have their say on the issue for however long. Thing is, FP never was and perhaps will never be a perfect system. The original purpose of it was to have guests spending money instead of being idle in line. I honestly don't think it was designed for people to collect the passes and use at their leisure, nor with the concept that a guest would want to wander outside of the respective land the attraction is located in--hence the short window. It's pretty well-known that common sense is scare at theme parks. For folks to consistently have a problem of ADR's that "run late" or other delaying issues, perhaps they overestimated their ability to meet the return time that was posted prior to obtaining the FP and printed on the FP itself. If and when Disney decides to iron out the kinks by adjusting the number of passes issued and the return times, the problems should be reduced. Until then, people just simply need to change their habits.

Disney already gives resort guests a folder filled with a dozen pamphlets, why not add a "How to use the Fast Pass system correctly" book to the stack? Honestly, you'd think WDW doesn't want anyone to park hop--with the transportation time to get to/from the non-monorail resorts, you have to expect at least 30-60 minutes to park hop from gate to gate. So unless your return time on your FP isn't for 4-5 hours, I wouldn't bother leaving the park.

As for the monorail courtesy debate--log that away as "courtesy would be nice" ... but courtesy is rare at theme parks. Do I expect a man to give up his seat to me if I'm a woman? Not these days. But it's nice when they offer. Most of the time (of the rare times it happens) I tell them it's OK, they don't have to, unless they actually get up. Griping to people when they don't offer? Does nothing but cause drama. I come to expect guest rudeness, entitlement, and ignorance at the parks--and I see just at much at Universal as I do at all the local parks. But honestly, it's not the guests using seats on the monorail/bus as it is the strollers taking up so much dang space. Half the time, the kids aren't even in the stroller, either. No wonder my parents never used one for me when I reached walking age; if I wanted a break, they'd rent a stroller in the park.

olinecoach61

This was an interesting thread, I always offer my seat but would not think less of someone for not doing so and certainly would not verbalize my opinion to them unsolicited. They paid for the same vacation as everyone else.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Regardless of people thinking it's prejudice to think so, I 100% agree with this statement. Southern American people, along with some Asian folks are getting out of hand with their behavior. There was 3 instances of some Asian folks putting their hands on my wife and daughter to move them out of the way. I fixed that quick, fast, and in a hurry.

So, now all Asians know better than to touch your wife?

erasure fan1

On that topic, if Disney is going to enforce Fastpass times, then when are they going to enforce no flash photos, no holding places in line, and no smoking in general areas? Also, I'm going to have a sticker made for our backpack for our next trip that says "Warning: bumping into this person may result in the occasional accidental elbowing of your face".
Im with you on that. It sure seems that Disney just invites bad behavior by not enforcing a lot of basic rules. The problem is that with a herd mentality, people just say "Oh well, we payed a lot for this trip so if they can do it, so can we." And god forbid Disney tick off a guest doing something wrong. I would have to say this is my biggest pet peeve, it just makes me sick when these things happen right in front of a cast member and they do nothing. Whats so hard about walking up to the guest and forcing them to move all the way down the aisle?

We can't figure it out, but it just seems to us that people behave better at Universal as opposed to Disney. We can't understand it because I'm sure that many of the same people visit both places.
To the 2nd point, maybe universal upholds the rules better? and thats the difference. I dont know as Ive never been to uni.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I love how people are visiting in one of the busiest times of the year.. and are coming out of the woodwork complaining about crowds and FP crowds. Ehh.. it's spring break!

People space?? Americans have a far different concept of 'personal space' than the rest of the world. It's not uncommon to find some German dude or something standing like he's riding your ______.. it's just a difference in personal space. This is not new... it's the same it's always been.

Fractal514

Here's what I've learned from this thread.

A lot of people don't like the new FP system, but they didn't say that, I know this cause I READ THE THREAD. They merely implied it and complained, without being actually upset.

All men should stand, always, and Asians and South Americans are getting pretty uppity, and we should all make sure we set them straight when the opportunity presents itself, such as planting an elbow in their face.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to stand for awhile, seeing as how I am a man and all.

the-reason14

I love how people are visiting in one of the busiest times of the year.. and are coming out of the woodwork complaining about crowds and FP crowds. Ehh.. it's spring break!

People space?? Americans have a far different concept of 'personal space' than the rest of the world. It's not uncommon to find some German dude or something standing like he's riding your ______.. it's just a difference in personal space. This is not new... it's the same it's always been.

When is there never not anything to complain about? And when is WDW not busy? May not be as busy as spring break/christmas or whatever, but as long as WDW and this site exist, people are gonna complain.

flynnibus

Premium Member
When is there never not anything to complain about? And when is WDW not busy? May not be as busy as spring break/christmas or whatever, but as long as WDW and this site exist, people are gonna complain.

To anyone paying attention... they know NYE, Easter, Christmas, and Spring Break are the busiest times of year.

To complain that FP is crowded... during the top 4 periods of the year.. is complaining about the heat in the desert.

There is a big difference between complaining about the obvious and being critical.

Here people are taking a peak peak time of year and trying to apply the conditions observed to FP in general... with a blind eye to the period in question. The crowds during spring break aren't really representative of normal operation.

Pitchforkman

Regardless of people thinking it's prejudice to think so, I 100% agree with this statement. Southern American people, along with some Asian folks are getting out of hand with their behavior. There was 3 instances of some Asian folks putting their hands on my wife and daughter to move them out of the way. I fixed that quick, fast, and in a hurry.

South Americans really need some manner lessons. It is sad when my 4 year old nephew behaves better than 40 year old adults.

Coming from my recent trip two weeks ago I will add.

I too had the problem of people bumping into me, especially in line. This was a problem on multiple occasions and not one person even said I'm sorry for it either (and on two occasions it was French speaking people.)
Also in line, I wish parents would control the kids they have with them. Once again on a couple of occasions, kids bumped into my girlfriend or me and the parents didn't say anything.

On the monorail thing, it is rare for me to even sit on the monorail. One because I do have courtesy for other people and I'm young, so I can deal with being on my feet. But I also enjoy the sights of Disney, so I like to look out the monorail at all times.

The fastpass thing doesnt really bother me because I have always stuck to the times I get. I never even really knew you were allowed an allotted time if you couldn't make the time. If we couldn't make it, we gave ours away. And I was always still able to ride every major ride, while also being able to enjoy the sights of Disney. You just gotta plan it right.

Going on the crowd thing, I had never visited during March and usually I do the digging of finding the best times to go. Well most said that March is a sort of crowded month, holy hell they were wrong. First week of march, Splash Mt. had mt. had a hundred minute wait, same with Kilo safaris, TSM (nothing new) and Space Mt. Crowds were ridiculous, almost comparable to when I went during Memorial Day weekend (never again).

My two pet peeves of Disney, and they can both be easily enforced. Number one, when people go through security check they need to have bags open. So many people never do. Easy fix? Put a damn sign up above the entrance saying please have bags open prior to check. It can even be an electronic sign so it can scroll through different languages.

Number two involves Wishes. I like to stand near or behind the partners statue when watching. I wish, wish, wish they would not let people stand on the partners statue seating around it. It really makes it a hassle for people close behind it from viewing or even taking pictures during Wishes.

chloe4ever

I think she was coming from the idea that all men should give up their seats to a woman or child. Not particularly that no man should give up a seat in this day and age because woman are more than capable of standing. If a person wants to offer up a seat I don't think anyone should take offense to that. But I also don't believe someone should take offense to someone not offering up a seat as well. We've discussed many times over that you cannot tell just from looking at someone what their story or situation is, so there's no point in taking offense. Sure we can have our doubts about a person but ultimately, if a person offers a seat, take it as a kind gesture, if no one offers a seat, no one was obligated to in the first place.

I would expect a woman to give up a seat to a man in some cases anyway. :lookaroun

You said exactly what I meant. :animwink:

I don't think that men should be forced to give up their seats or made to feel like jerks for not doing so. If a man wants offers me his seat, then I would most likely say, "No, thanks" and then smile politely--I'm in no way advocating being a b*tch about the situation (and yes, I have seen women who act like this :rolleyes:). I appreciate when men open doors for me. But I have no qualms opening a door for a guy--courtesy goes both ways. It comes down to choice and I think we in society are beyond "women and children first" and putting so much dang pressure on men. Men have to do this and that--and then get yelled at for not doing this and that--how about everyone just treat each other with kindess--both genders. I just feel like there are so many rules placed on how a guy "should" act and that in general men have to navigate all these "rules" that are not placed on women.

Just don't be a jerk.

TheBeatles

I've stood around the FP return gates quite a bit over the past few days to observe and just see what has been happening, and I have yet to hear one single person complain that they should be let in because thy didn't know about the rule change, or that they used to be able to return late so they should now. Every single complaint I heard was someone's reason why they were late. Dinner ran long. They got stuck here or there. Those are complaints that will never go away, IMHO.... I'm not seeing the possibility of people "adapting" and eventually making things smoother. The complaints I heard will be constant and consistent.

ESPECIALLY from first timers.

Meh... excuses and complaints are present no matter what.

I've wondered how all of the reasons would be handled. Things like dining reservations taking longer or attractions breaking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom