Some characters to take a final bow

speck76

Original Poster
Some characters to take a final bow
Universal has notified 29 actors their gigs are ending as other roles are expanding.

Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted February 1, 2006

Betty Boop is being booted. Fred Flintstone is getting fired. Popeye is being popped. Hard times are coming for a handful of Universal Orlando characters and some of the actors who play them.

Universal is ending the roles of 10 of the 120 or so costumed characters and some show hosts at Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios, spokeswoman Cynthia Gordon confirmed Tuesday. Twenty-nine actors who play the parts full and part time were given 30 days' notice last week that their roles were ending.

But Popeye's and Olive Oyl's losses are Zorro's and Elena's gains, while Fred and Wilma Flintstone are being replaced full time by Lucy and Ricky Ricardo.

Gordon said the company is phasing out old characters and phasing in or expanding the roles of others.

"We did make some changes. It is affecting a number of people," Gordon said. "What it is all about is updating and refreshing our entertainment."

Some of the actors already play other characters part time. And all 29, most of whom worked full time playing one or more character or show-host roles, are being offered auditions for other jobs in the parks, though the new positions might not always measure up to the old ones in hours and wages. Those who leave will have benefits extended 90 days, Gordon said.

Coming within days of Universal's newest kids-are-free campaign that was announced Monday, the layoffs angered and frustrated some actors, but not all. Cosme "Cos" Ramirez is losing his gig as a show host at Islands' Toon Lagoon. But he said he has been laid off before and has always gotten new work at Universal.

"I have no problem knowing that I will land something. We're being offered positions that you can audition for. That's the nature of the business. It's the entertainment industry; you have to understand," Ramirez said. "But I've been working here full time for 16 years, without a lapse of benefits."New positions will come up because many of the new roles will be expanded, Gordon said.

The Zorro and Elena characters from two recent Zorro movies, and the penguins and other characters from the movie Madagascar were introduced this past fall on a test basis and will become full time. Lucy and Ricky were seasonal characters and now will become daily, and a full-time band is being added to join them, Gordon said.

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441.

barnum42

Getting rid of Popeye in favour of Zorro? Does that mean the ride will be re-themed to be Zorro's water adventure? ;)

Michael72688

I love how they launch a massive campaign towards kids then start getting rid of characters, great move. Thats gonna help get that million or so guests you lost from each park.

dxwwf3

Michael72688 said:
I love how they launch a massive campaign towards kids then start getting rid of characters, great move. Thats gonna help get that million or so guests you lost from each park.

I was thinking the same thing. Getting rid of Popeye? Last time I checked Bilge Rat Barges was super popular.

Michael72688

dxwwf3 said:
I was thinking the same thing. Getting rid of Popeye? Last time I checked Bilge Rat Barges was super popular.

It is, but this is classic Universal, making a really stupid move to help turn people away from the parks. I honestly hope this does not hurt them even though I dont think it will keep people from coming to the parks it might lessen their experience. Universal cant go down too much more

dxwwf3

Michael72688 said:
I dont think it will keep people from coming to the parks it might lessen their experience. Universal cant go down too much more

I 100% agree. Stuff like this doesn't change anything for regular guests, but I'm sure the AP'ers notice.

Michael72688

dxwwf3 said:
I 100% agree. Stuff like this doesn't change anything for regular guests, but I'm sure the AP'ers notice.

Exactly, I know GE is concerned about the bottom line but do they realize what they are doing in return, the bottom line wont look too good in a few years if they keep making stupid decisions like this. Hopefully for Universal's sake nothing happens and they have a good year.

PencilTest

Cosme "Cos" Ramirez is losing his gig as a show host at Islands' Toon Lagoon. But he said he has been laid off before and has always gotten new work at Universal...

Boy, I hope Cos is still gonna be there. He's been a Performance Captain at Halloween Horror Nights for as long as I've been working them. His name just happened to catch my eye as I was reading that article--I didn't even know he was a host! Small world after all.

Legacy

mkt said:
I'll be at the auditions tonight
So did they mention what exactly they are going to be expanding?

(I'm still mad I didn't get to audition for Fear Factor... I think I could have been a good host for it...)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
don't know if this is related or not, but they had Marty McFly in the park today doing sets with Doc Brown. That was interesting

Legacy

mkt said:
don't know if this is related or not, but they had Marty McFly in the park today doing sets with Doc Brown. That was interesting
Something I wasn't anticipating, but very cool nonetheless.

krankenstein

dxwwf3 said:

Are we sure it is Popeye at IOA or is it the face charcter from USF? Because they are getting rid of Fred I believe you can assume it is the one at USF.

PencilTest

I dunno...Marty McFly? Sure, I liked those movies, but do they really think he's gonna be a popular character? How many kids watch Back to the Future nowadays? Mark me if I'm wrong, but it seams like there are some franchises and characters that could be more lucrative. Llike the Men in Black guys, for instance. Or some of the Mummy characters (aside from the stilt guys). Hopefully, they're ramping up some Curious George characters. I'd hate to see them blow an opportunity if the movies performs well--which I hope it does. More hand-drawn features!

GaryT977

I dunno about that '10 out of 120' thing. I have a good friend who played 'Sam I Am' and a few other characters and was told it was alot more than that.

And Marty McFly? He's not even cute anymore. :lookaroun

Tekneek

Universal has done some things over the years that make me scratch my head. The main thing, of which I am sure to be in the minority on, was getting rid of the Rocky & Bullwinkle store and not having them come out anymore. Add in that Ripsaw Falls is indefinitely closed and I'm wondering why I should even bother going. We had not been since 2003, which was when I found the store effectively boarded up. My son is now tall enough to ride Ripsaw Falls and had been excited about it, but days, weeks, and months go by and it seems no closer to opening...?

I still wonder what the management is on from time to time. It's as if one side doesn't know what the other is doing. A big marketing campaign for kids should coincide with EVERYTHING kid-friendly being massively promoted and highly visible. Maybe they were just trying to get parents to drag their kids along, since the kids would now be free.

Michael72688

The store closed cause it made no money, just a good business move. Ripsaw Falls unfortunetely is going to be closed for a while they repair the track. And although it is disappointing having the ride closed I hope those arent few reasons arent the only reasons that you dont go back to IOA.

Tekneek

Michael72688 said:
Ripsaw Falls unfortunetely is going to be closed for a while they repair the track. And although it is disappointing having the ride closed I hope those arent few reasons arent the only reasons that you dont go back to IOA.

It has been closed for almost 4 months now, hasn't it? How long do you think it might take to get it operating if they started working toward that tomorrow? I'm really curious how far away they would be.

There are more reasons than just those, but the price may get us into 2 park annual passes (not the premium ones) and there on at least 3 trips over the next 15 months. It was one of the only places I could really see some Jay Ward insprired stuff, so it having a diminished role does bother me. Obviously it doesn't bother enough people. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom