SOFT OPENING WATCH - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Coaster

Tom

Beta Return
I just dont get why they would let CM's ride all day but not do any type of soft opening. If its safety related, do the CM's sign some type of waiver? It must be gut wrenching for you guys that are down there to see it running and not be able to ride. I know I havent been the most excited person about this ride, but Im keeping my fingers crossed for you guys, good luck, I really hope you get to ride it

There are no safety issues or humans wouldn't be riding at all. CMs are invited because they're in the final Test & Adjust phase. They need to test and time load/unload with real bodies. They need to cycle the trains a million times over the track and through the brakes, loaded with bodies, to get timing down perfectly.

They also need to train the opening crew how to run the entire ride, and how to evacuate, and how to lock-out/tag-out.

They want the first experiences for guests to be as "magical" as possible. The cycles right now are not necessarily the most magical, because the trains are likely being stopped often while they calibrate a brake run, or work out timing and spacing. They don't want guests to have to experience that, but it's perfectly fine for their own employees to. Plus, it's a kind gesture toward the CMs.

dstrawn9889

' Plus, it's a kind gesture toward the CMs.' yeah, the gesture of 'much angry in 5 o'clock traffic and got cut off'. LOL, to be slammed into restraints in the emergency brake zones.

TomHendricks

Across from Maurice's cottage, there is some work being done. Someone was measuring across the track, then again where I got the pics.
C3DECE80-2259-4C15-9048-62979C8B37CB_zpsniblqfed.jpg

217F4C97-3CE4-4D0B-8AC9-CDAE4052682B_zpswtrixey9.jpg

2B965CC7-B214-4035-91D4-2C50DC641631_zpsrkq0izym.jpg

DoctorDisney

Updating as I said I would, but looks like a number of people already have.

Lots of work being done around the 7DMT track including some measuring, polishing, tightening of bolts, etc...saw a few runs with no-one on it, and then a couple with CMs on it. Not a lot though from when I was around it.

All in all...no, no soft opening today. :)

CMcFL

Worked at Epcot last night. I asked one of my managers about CM previews and was told she hasn't heard anything. Our maingate passes are blocked out starting with the 24 hour event....and lasting through the summer (with the exception of June 7/8) plus we are unable to make FP reservations until the day we are in the park.....so I was hoping to get a chance to ride the mine train before it officially opened. My kids are so excited to go! I do not feel, that as a CM, I have a right to a preview....however I do consider it a kind gesture for the CM's that make the magic happen.

kma71677

Just got home from a long weekend at Magic on Friday and Saturday, followed by AK today. Love watching the coaster in action- the ride is so unbelievably quiet!! My wife and I were amazed at how silent it was going by. I asked both times in the morning if we could go on, of course we were told no. I am so excited to try it out!! We will just have to go up again soon and get there first thing.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Worked at Epcot last night. I asked one of my managers about CM previews and was told she hasn't heard anything. Our maingate passes are blocked out starting with the 24 hour event....and lasting through the summer (with the exception of June 7/8) plus we are unable to make FP reservations until the day we are in the park.....so I was hoping to get a chance to ride the mine train before it officially opened. My kids are so excited to go! I do not feel, that as a CM, I have a right to a preview....however I do consider it a kind gesture for the CM's that make the magic happen.
Hope you and your kids get to ride without a major wait. I think CM'S should all be able to ride while it's testing. It couldn't hurt to have all the CM's raving about it all around WDW to help get the excitement cranked up for guests.

Mr Bill

For reasons I don't know it is reported that the WDW version has more issues with its electronic Omnis that DCA does.
My unsubstantiated theory: DCA has had multiple refurbs to keep things in shape. Also a typical summer closing for DCA is 10 PM. Magic Kingdom will be closing anywhere between 11 PM and 2 AM this June. On top of this putting more wear on the ride system, the third shift maintenance crews simply don't have as much time to get things done.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I just dont get why they would let CM's ride all day but not do any type of soft opening. If its safety related, do the CM's sign some type of waiver?

CMs you can boss around - no coddling required. CMs listen to other CMs. CMs are not emotional disturbed when you start/stop the ride.. or do things in repetition.. or wait.

Basically.. CMs are better behaved test dummies. Guests no matter what you tell them still act like selfish guests.

Soft openings are good for testing the variations... the unpredictable or uncontrollable human behaviors. It's why they are a good shakedown once a crew is ready. But if you are pressed for time, you focus on the 'must haves' before you worry about fine tuning and more experience.

SoccerMickey

I just dont get why they would let CM's ride all day but not do any type of soft opening. If its safety related, do the CM's sign some type of waiver? It must be gut wrenching for you guys that are down there to see it running and not be able to ride. I know I havent been the most excited person about this ride, but Im keeping my fingers crossed for you guys, good luck, I really hope you get to ride it

My personal feeling is, and I could be totally off base, that they want as many people coming to the park on the 28th to ride this thing as possible. Just across the street from the Mine Train is an "attraction" that is demanding wait times of 3.5+ hours. If they had made these days filled with Resort-wide cast member, Annual Passholder, and DVC previews those groups might stay away on Grand Opening day. Leaving all the bloggers and lifestylers to pick up on the story, albeit maybe a fake one, that says after 3 years of planning, construction, and millions of dollars the new attraction at the Magic Kingdom is less popular than the Icy Doublemint Twins inside Fairy Tale Hall. Now granted we are dealing with different capacities and different types of attractions but I don't think the Average Joe sees it that way.

DoctorDisney

If you plan your trip around an attraction that isn't open and may or may not open before its grand opening date, then that's the issue. If someone plans their trip time around the "possibility" of something happening and then it doesn't happen...well, they don't really have a right to blame anyone.

Either way...at Magic Kingdom today around midday, saw the 7DMT running every few minutes with sometimes a full train and other times just 3-4 people. Overheard CMs outside the entrance tell guests that "This is still Cast Member previews, but by special invitation only."

Will go and check again tomorrow even though I don't expect it to be open before the 24-hour at the earliest, but most likely, the actual grand opening date.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom