SOFT OPENING WATCH - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Coaster

darthspielberg

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure (Manual) is being fleshed out still...

Meanwhile.. I doubt the Media will ride anything right now.. The weather here is quite intense at the moment.. I've got hail in my front yard right now. For reference, I'm about a mile or so from MK.

Well, the media stuff for the mine train is set for tomorrow, while today is mostly MyMagic+ stuff

jdmdisney99

BmfPlTgCUAAtecY.jpg

BmfQ04_CUAAheUW.jpg

On twitter one of the medias ticket.
So is that a riding window?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Which is something that soft openings would be perfect for, no?

uh.. no. you run empty trains at these capacities before you throw guests in there. Remember, multiple trains = higher risks for accidents. That has to be rock solid before they risk a collision, unpredictable cascades, or e-stops with guests.

They want 'bodies' to train more in the station and queue stuff. Trying to keep the staff on pace for dispatches, the unforseens, etc.

Ahall003

Currently at Magic Kingdom and it's very quiet around the mountain, a CM said possible soft openings next week after the media event but not before or during it. I did get a glimpse of the cool gem sorting game an took a pic. It appears to be a series of lights mimicking gems being dropped for sorting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 159

hathawaybrowne

The local news here in Orlando (WESH 2) teased a "sneak peek of the ride before it opens on Friday."

At first I figured that was just misleading grammar (is the opening on Friday or is the sneak peek they will show on Friday?) but the anchor said "Now, the ride doesn't open until Friday, but we will have footage for you on our broadcast tomorrow."

I don't believe that would be correct, but just wanted to share what I just saw.

doctornick

uh.. no. you run empty trains at these capacities before you throw guests in there. Remember, multiple trains = higher risks for accidents. That has to be rock solid before they risk a collision, unpredictable cascades, or e-stops with guests.

They want 'bodies' to train more in the station and queue stuff. Trying to keep the staff on pace for dispatches, the unforseens, etc.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought the issue was with timing, which I thought would be a particular issue at unload/load. So, I figured that they'd have to have live people getting on and off the trains to establish the right rhythm/flow.

I didn't think that the issue would be trains running into each other or anything. I figured if they aren't "efficient" enough the trains would have a stopping place before unload and people would just be stuck there in the vehicle. Just like how on many rides, we see the vehicles back up before going to unload.

I mean, without unload/load -- if they are running empty vehicles -- how tough would it be to run the requisite number? If it's a two minute ride and they have 5 trains at a time, just dispatch one every 24 seconds. (and that's not counting time spend in load/unload which obviously would make it a longer interval between dispatch.)

Kman101

The local news here in Orlando (WESH 2) teased a "sneak peek of the ride before it opens on Friday."

At first I figured that was just misleading grammar (is the opening on Friday or is the sneak peek they will show on Friday?) but the anchor said "Now, the ride doesn't open until Friday, but we will have footage for you on our broadcast tomorrow."

I don't believe that would be correct, but just wanted to share what I just saw.

That's funny only because WFTV said the exact same except that they are testing the ride for the rest of the month, which I assume means May. Sooooo ... lol. Seems everyone is getting misleading information.

CentralFLlife

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure (Manual) is being fleshed out still...

Meanwhile.. I doubt the Media will ride anything right now.. The weather here is quite intense at the moment.. I've got hail in my front yard right now. For reference, I'm about a mile or so from MK.
The official name for it is the OG, and if they are training people on it or anyone is trained on the attraction it is already written. No one, except maybe imagineers or construction workers/ maintenance workers, would be riding if the OG wasn't written. Not actors, not cm's.

CentralFLlife

How do we know this is using 5 trains? that would mean this coaster would have to have at least 6 block zones, one for each train and one for the first train to be moving into.

It also would mean that somewhere in the mountain they have the ability to store at least 6 trains typically coasters have an extra train incase one breaks or needs a significant amount of maintenance. I suppose they could leave them in the covered break zones and in the station at night but usually they need to place them in a maintenance bay in order to inspect them at night.

If this had a dual station I could see it being a 5 train operation, but with only one station, and such a short track, it would have an impossibly fast dispatch time to run 5 trains efficiently.

darthspielberg

How do we know this is using 5 trains? that would mean this coaster would have to have at least 6 block zones, one for each train and one for the first train to be moving into.

It also would mean that somewhere in the mountain they have the ability to store at least 6 trains typically coasters have an extra train incase one breaks or needs a significant amount of maintenance. I suppose they could leave them in the covered break zones and in the station at night but usually they need to place them in a maintenance bay in order to inspect them at night.

If this had a dual station I could see it being a 5 train operation, but with only one station, and such a short track, it would have an impossibly fast dispatch time to run 5 trains efficiently.

I think it has two, possibly three.

HTF

After watching the pov I want to say a few things, but I want to first remind everyone this is just an opinion and to please not lose their minds because I don't necessarily agree with everyone else. With that being said...

I just watched the pov of the mine train and a few opinions of mine. First of all the ride came out just as I thought, a thrilling kiddie coaster with a very nice dark ride type scene. The ride time is exactly what I had expected as is its target audience for overall experience which is the under ten years old crowd. The attraction exterior came out very beautiful and VERY nicely themed and the AA's are much much better than I'd originally thought. The more I see of those AA's the more I get jealous. (Remember most tag me as a Uni fanboy and all they do is screens so it's nice to see physical props ;) )

My major issue though is the impact this attraction is supposed to have for the Magic Kingdom. Why is that Disney parks around the world have, are, and going to debut major and innovative attractions but the worlds highest attended park the Magic Kingdom gets a themed kiddie coaster when the competition is pumping out a slew of new attractions including the sequel to the most successful theme park attraction ever created The Wizarding World.

This whole attraction in my opinion is just very underwhelming from what Disney is capable of. It just doesn't seem to have that X factor or Disney magic. Yeah we all agree its beautiful and very well themed, but it's a themed mound with a kiddie coaster weaving in and around it. I mean this thing has been under construction for YEARS!! Doesn't anyone think the average tourist or pass holder whose been in the past three years won't be a little disappointed with a 90 sec kiddie coaster? Or is all excused because it's pretty and Mickey made it?

The Magic Kingdom needed something unique, something magical, something that made a dang statement. A statement that said yeah we still know how to be the best at creating larger than life attractions in Orlando. Not clones, kiddie coasters 10 new M&G's a year, and so on. This expansion was at the highest attended park in the world, their flagship park, the one everyone dreams of going too. Yet it's the first major expansion since Clinton's first term as President. You'd think after waiting almost 2 decades since the last Eticket attraction they would of given the guests of Orlando something major but alas...

I know I've lost many of you and most are probably eager to rip into this post but before you do ask yourself something. Are you as a fan of Disney truly happy with this FL expansion? Or were you hoping for something special like what they are doing in other parks around the world right now? Second thing is after watching the POV would you rather have the Mine Train over any if these new or not yet opened attractions by WDI.

Rather have any of these,

Or this?

SpectroMan93

After watching the pov I want to say a few things, but I want to first remind everyone this is just an opinion and to please not lose their minds because I don't necessarily agree with everyone else. With that being said...

I just watched the pov of the mine train and a few opinions of mine. First of all the ride came out just as I thought, a thrilling kiddie coaster with a very nice dark ride type scene. The ride time is exactly what I had expected as is its target audience for overall experience which is the under ten years old crowd. The attraction exterior came out very beautiful and VERY nicely themed and the AA's are much much better than I'd originally thought. The more I see of those AA's the more I get jealous. (Remember most tag me as a Uni fanboy and all they do is screens so it's nice to see physical props ;) )

My major issue though is the impact this attraction is supposed to have for the Magic Kingdom. Why is that Disney parks around the world have, are, and going to debut major and innovative attractions but the worlds highest attended park the Magic Kingdom gets a themed kiddie coaster when the competition is pumping out a slew of new attractions including the sequel to the most successful theme park attraction ever created The Wizarding World.

This whole attraction in my opinion is just very underwhelming from what Disney is capable of. It just doesn't seem to have that X factor or Disney magic. Yeah we all agree its beautiful and very well themed, but it's a themed mound with a kiddie coaster weaving in and around it. I mean this thing has been under construction for YEARS!! Doesn't anyone think the average tourist or pass holder whose been in the past three years won't be a little disappointed with a 90 sec kiddie coaster? Or is all excused because it's pretty and Mickey made it?

The Magic Kingdom needed something unique, something magical, something that made a dang statement. A statement that said yeah we still know how to be the best at creating larger than life attractions in Orlando. Not clones, kiddie coasters 10 new M&G's a year, and so on. This expansion was at the highest attended park in the world, their flagship park, the one everyone dreams of going too. Yet it's the first major expansion since Clinton's first term as President. You'd think after waiting almost 2 decades since the last Eticket attraction they would of given the guests of Orlando something major but alas...

I know I've lost many of you and most are probably eager to rip into this post but before you do ask yourself something. Are you as a fan of Disney truly happy with this FL expansion? Or were you hoping for something special like what they are doing in other parks around the world right now? Second thing is after watching the POV would you rather have the Mine Train over any if these new or not yet opened attractions by WDI.

Or this?

First of all, I just wanted to say I loved your insider info on Orlando United and I had no idea that you had an account here as well until now. While I agree with your points, I noticed that a majority of the attractions that you listed are built in parks that needed a major expansion to booster attendance and the like (DCA, HKDL, WDSP). Tokyo of course always builds world-class attractions in all they do and Shanghai needs to distinguish itself from the other parks. Sadly, the reason you listed as to why MK needs to build world-class attractions is the same reason why they don't. Being the most attended park in the world, the people running MK probably are in the mindset that there isn't a need to build a jaw-dropping attraction. If you built it, they will come. If you don't build it, they will still come. New Fantasyland, IMO, mostly serves to meet the growing crowds that pack in the park each day. The Mine Train is a part of meeting that demand and the amazing details in the ride, while great to see, are more or less included to meet the standards of today, not to raise the bar. I may not like how that mindset has lead TDO, but it's sadly how things are in Orlando.

tissandtully

Or this?

You're so right, it hurts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom