Social distanced Fantasmic coming by February.

Disney Analyst

Interesting. I watched 3 different videos and it didn't seem that bright in all 3. Maybe it was just the cameras not reacting that well to the light. Thanks though

The DL 2.0 uses a single launch of a green blinding flash at the end, versus WDW uses about 3 or 4 launches of white ones. It’s probably harder to see with the DL one because they have other sparkling fireworks shooting off in the very last sequence.

You can usually tell since it’s the one with the most smoke produced;
DL 2.0:
View attachment 521871
HS:
View attachment 521873

Disneyland uses the blinding flash during the Dragon defeat blast, and then one single launch for the final burst, along with the sparkle pyro.

Figments Friend

There's no more DJ and no actual "pre-show" now. What I'm talking about is they absolutely need to keep the classic early-to-mid 2000's Disney Channel remixes and songs that are played while everyone's waiting for the show to start. It's a huge nostalgia trip and even today are still a lot of fun to listen to. Thankfully, in recent weeks while the Fantasmic queue has been used for ToT's extended queue, they have been testing the music and it's still the remixes.

Pre-show music - the ol' Walt Disney Records album 'Mouse House'.
CDs and Cassette tapes can be found 'out there', as it was a legit official release many years ago.

Includes such classics as 'Just Can't Wait To Be King' sung by Little Richard and a 'Macarana' / 'Tiki Room' mash up among many other gems.

-

Crazydisneyfanluke

Show load and show dump will most-likely be organized just like we would expect it to be. Probably every other row with spaces between families loaded by section. Show dump will probably be by section and row. SeaWorld has been doing all their shows this way for 5 months now.

Main merchandise locations would probably be open just like any other location in the park. Unlikely that the vendor carts down front would be used.

Stunt Equity - They could bring back 3 stunt or no stunt depending on show requirements.

Cobra could work the same way it always has, but with performers wearing PPE. There's easily 6 feet between pods.

The dragon requires 6 people on stage with plenty of space and very little interaction between them. This would be the least concerning part of the show, because there's really nothing to figure out.

Barges - Who knows. Maybe just the princesses and rafiki's barge with no monkeys or monkeys dancing somewhere else.

Steamboat - Perhaps less characters and/or have characters already revealed and in place without using pyro waterfalls.

The amphitheater is outside open-air. With face masks, space between parties, and open rows, you could sit there all day and be fine.
To add:

Exit: They can use 2 exits to help disperse crowds. The main entrance, which will dump in front of ToT and the second exit that dumps into DHS entrance.

Steamboat: They can have characters on the stage if the boat is to much trouble

Extras: It is hard to see what the extras are wearing, even something on their face wouldn't break F!

SpectroBro

In the Parks
Yes
To add:

Exit: They can use 2 exits to help disperse crowds. The main entrance, which will dump in front of ToT and the second exit that dumps into DHS entrance.

Steamboat: They can have characters on the stage if the boat is to much trouble

Extras: It is hard to see what the extras are wearing, even something on their face wouldn't break F!
The trouble is the backstage space, not the on stage space. With performers, technicians, costumers and management it’s about 60+ people in one trailer and then all locked on the backside of the mountain for the duration of the show.

artvandelay

The trouble is the backstage space, not the on stage space. With performers, technicians, costumers and management it’s about 60+ people in one trailer and then all locked on the backside of the mountain for the duration of the show.
This is a huge problem for live theatre. Most Broadway theatres have very little wing space. The choreography that goes into backstage moves can rival the choreography that happens onstage. Trying to work out how up to 20 people can fit in a 10’ by 30’ space stage right and stage left is a major stumbling block to live shows returning.

Movielover

This is a huge problem for live theatre. Most Broadway theatres have very little wing space. The choreography that goes into backstage moves can rival the choreography that happens onstage. Trying to work out how up to 20 people can fit in a 10’ by 30’ space stage right and stage left is a major stumbling block to live shows returning.
I know that circus personally, also try fitting in moving scenery and stage props that all have to move with the actors at the same time. Space can run out real fast haha.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
This all may be true. But Indiana Jones shouldn’t have backstage space problems. Considering there really isn’t a backstage. So why don’t we have that open again? It’s even partially outdoors for audience.

Movielover

This all may be true. But Indiana Jones shouldn’t have backstage space problems. Considering there really isn’t a backstage. So why don’t we have that open again? It’s even partially outdoors for audience.
Cast and crew unions might have a problem with...
INDY 1.jpg

And

INDY 2.jpg

And

INDY 3.jpg

God I love and miss this show!

WondersOfLife

Cast and crew unions might have a problem with...
View attachment 522168

And

View attachment 522169

And

View attachment 522170

God I love and miss this show!
All you have to do is re-block the show, cut the audience group participation (or have them stand on circle stickers), and expand the tech booth. Honestly could cut the fake film crew as well and just focus less on the film making aspect (except for the set change part).

I could direct this re-design myself!

SpectroBro

In the Parks
Yes
Even though the outdoor space behind the set may seem spacious. They too, share one small trailer for everyone involved in the show.

Movielover

All you have to do is re-block the show
Waaaay easier said than done, considering all the effects, lighting, and sound are designed around the current show. It would take a long time and lots of money to re-block.
cut the audience group participation
This goes back to the re-blocking as you would then have a whole set change that would have nothing happening in front of. Thus just making people sit there watching the change (which I love doing, but I'm not most people).
expand the tech booth
Again, waaaaay more work would have to be done considering the amount of cables running from the each individual station to their specific locations all over the stadium. This isn't simply a "move that actor 6 feet to the left" and "that tech person can sit over there" type situation.
cut the fake film crew as well and just focus less on the film making aspect
Well then you would have the original problem of people being backstage since the fake film crew in the show are the other stunt actors who do the main roles as well, they switch roles and serve as understudy's for the current show leads. So all these understudy's would have to be somewhere close by backstage if they were not participating in the show. Then that just goes back to the whole re-blocking issue since now all new script, lighting, and sound would have to be produced and built to accommodate the change.

I really want the Indy show back ASAP since I love it so much, fake film crew and all, but coming up with a new covid safe show would not be beneficial.

WondersOfLife

Waaaay easier said than done, considering all the effects, lighting, and sound are designed around the current show. It would take a long time and lots of money to re-block.

This goes back to the re-blocking as you would then have a whole set change that would have nothing happening in front of. Thus just making people sit there watching the change (which I love doing, but I'm not most people).

Again, waaaaay more work would have to be done considering the amount of cables running from the each individual station to their specific locations all over the stadium. This isn't simply a "move that actor 6 feet to the left" and "that tech person can sit over there" type situation.

Well then you would have the original problem of people being backstage since the fake film crew in the show are the other stunt actors who do the main roles as well, they switch roles and serve as understudy's for the current show leads. So all these understudy's would have to be somewhere close by backstage if they were not participating in the show. Then that just goes back to the whole re-blocking issue since now all new script, lighting, and sound would have to be produced and built to accommodate the change.

I really want the Indy show back ASAP since I love it so much, fake film crew and all, but coming up with a new covid safe show would not be beneficial.
I work In theatre for a living with a masters degree. It’s not as hard as you’re thinking it is. And if you’re disney, it’s even LESS complicated because they have connections with experts.

Cut the townspeople scene, and move the 3 person pre-show to that scene change portion. That’s a funny bit with social distancing. Give em a pin for participating, talk a little more about film, and call it a day.

It can be done. A lot easier than the other shows. A show can be re-worked to fit covid regulations within a week. Unless, of course, you have a lack of space onstage or offstage

Last edited by a moderator:

mm52200

I work In theatre for a living with a masters degree. It’s not as hard as you’re thinking it is. And if you’re disney, it’s even LESS complicated because they have connections with experts.

Cut the townspeople scene, and move the 3 person pre-show to that scene change portion. That’s a funny bit with social distancing. Give em a pin for participating, talk a little more about film, and call it a day.

It can be done. A lot easier than the other shows. You just have to use that slab of meat wedged into your skull. A show can be re-worked to fit covid regulations within a week. Unless, of course, you have a lack of space onstage or offstage
Guess what? It’s not that easy at Disney. It’s just not. Also that window of time that Disney is going to spend money to overhaul and figure out how to redo the show to operate safely is basically gone. They laid off the cast, most of the creatives and directors who would make these changes, and the techs were transferred, laid off or furloughed. At this point Disney is probably going to just wait until they can bring back shows and entertainment as normal without having to make major changes aka spend money that they don’t want to spend.

WondersOfLife

So do I. Have you ever worked on Disney property? They make everything extra complicated.
I have worked on Disney property. Albeit not for theatre. And yes, they do make everything extra complicated. Even the simplest of things that can be resolved so easily. You are correct.

WondersOfLife

Guess what? It’s not that easy at Disney. It’s just not. Also that window of time that Disney is going to spend money to overhaul and figure out how to redo the show to operate safely is basically gone. They laid off the cast, most of the creatives and directors who would make these changes, and the techs were transferred, laid off or furloughed. At this point Disney is probably going to just wait until they can bring back shows and entertainment as normal without having to make major changes aka spend money that they don’t want to spend.
I’d like to clarify that I never said Disney doesn’t over complicate things. Nor did I ever say that anything I said, they would do. NOR did I say Disney’s terms thinks it’s “safe.”

But I have seen plenty of community, commercial, and theme park shows that have done far less social distancing onstage and offstage literally everywhere else. And the changes I list ARENT that hard to make.

It is what it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom