Social distanced Fantasmic coming by February.

yensidtlaw1969

Surely, in 2021, they can make a new one that is menacing, but not cheap-looking (like the current one) or cartoony (like DL’s).

At the end of the day, I understand that ours may be technically-complex, but what matters is how it looks from the stands—like a head on a stick. “It is complex and was expensive to make!” doesn’t sway my opinion here and it didn’t sway my opinion of Rivers of Light.
This goes back to the nature of Theatre (and, by extension, Theme Parks) as an empirical artform - you can't convince your audience that what you're doing is impressive if they aren't impressed.

If the Dragon doesn't "wow", no amount of talking about the stats makes up for that in the court of popular opinion. They either fell in love or they didn't.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
This goes back to the nature of Theatre (and, by extension, Theme Parks) as an empirical artform - you can't convince your audience that what you're doing is impressive if they aren't impressed.

If the Dragon doesn't "wow", no amount of talking about the stats makes up for that in the court of popular opinion. They either fell in love or they didn't.
200.gif

ToTBellHop

Surely 3 Disney Parks Blog posts and a few Instagram posts from THE Zach Ridley are all we need.

gerarar

Premium Member
The dragon looks fantastic and menacing directly from the front imo (where all the dining packages are seated). But as soon as you go to any of the sides around the amphitheater, the illusion goes away as you see the exposed "stick"-neck. They should at least beef up the neck or somehow hide it away with more fog, which is what they try to do anyways, but if there's the slightest wind, it's very much exposed.

Touchdown

The dragon looks fantastic and menacing directly from the front imo (where all the dining packages are seated). But as soon as you go to any of the sides around the amphitheater, the illusion goes away as you see the exposed "stick"-neck. They should at least beef up the neck or somehow hide it away with more fog, which is what they try to do anyways, but if there's the slightest wind, it's very much exposed.
I guess that’s why I’ve never thought the dragon was as bad as everyone else, yes DL’s is better, but at DHS practically every time I’ve seen the show I was in the middle 3 sections.

Touchdown

You're correct. Meaning you can barely see it. Which sucks even more because you can barely see the blame thing.

Fantasmic-Mickey-Dragon.jpg
Agree to disagree, the glowing eyes, lightning flashes on the wings and then the burst of fire do a pretty good job of projecting menace. Not as good as Murphy does, but it still gets the job done. It does a heck of a lot better then the TDS version did which litterally was a head on a stick.

Touchdown

That's not a good enough counter point for me.
I think DHS Fantasmic isn’t appreciated enough. While there are portions of DL’s that are better, there’s also portions that are worse. I really think each version is of similar quality, and I’m even talking about the pre POTC DL version. I’m going to repost something I wrote 3 years ago, comparing the two:

Ok you’ve all done it, I have the time to write it now, and it’s time for my whole thoughts on why Fantasmic! At DHS is much more maligned then it should be and DL Fantasmic is not the perfect masterpiece people make it out to be. Full disclosure: I enjoy both, also for simplicity sake I’m going to compare DL F! circa 2015, I’m also going to compare both the story and the quality of the scenes. Allright here we go:

Part 1: The call to Adventure (Opening-the first Sorcerer Mickey segment)

This segment from my memory was identical in each show, as it should because it’s darn near perfect. This opening scene does a great job of first informing the audience what is about to happen and then showing Mickey figuring out and playing with the magic of his imagination.

Winner: Tie

Part 2: Jungle Dreaming

DL: Mickey imagines a flower and then immediately after two villains enter the story the murderous Ka, and the comical kidnapper King Louie. Don’t get me wrong I love the dancing monkeys and the giant snake, it’s a great scene I just think it’s really misplaced as it suggests that Mickey quickly goes dark and starts imagining villains nearly immediately after the dream begins, of course the next vignette explains why, Mickey is drunk 😵! Look, I love the pink elephants as much as anyone and love the rock and roll riff on the song but there is a reason Walt decided to nix this idea for the spinner. Then we are treated to a very bizarre and out of place I’ve got no strings that seams to be here only to set up Monstro in the next scene. In short a very entertaining scene but a bit of a story telling mess

DHS: After the flower which is identical in both versions, instead of Jungle Book we get Lion King here but instead of focusing on villains we get treated to a stylized version of I just can’t wait to be King with a menagerie of black lit animals and along with the dancing monkeys minus King Louie. After this we have the dancing bubbles section that I happen to enjoy but realize most don’t. However, it’s hard to not see how this segment is designed to show Mickey’s imagination running away from him which sets up the appearance of the first villain appearance in this show.

Winner: DHS, it’s story is much more concise and even if you think the stage elements are better in DL, the snake will eventually come later.

Part 3: Adventure on the High Seas (Monstro, Stunt Sequence)

DL: This section is the highlight for the show in this version, after Monstro comes we are treated to the Peter Pan sequence and start to get an idea of how big Mickey’s imagination is.

DHS: This segment is when danger first presents in this show rising the tension, however it’s not good, especially when compared to DL.

Winner: DL in a landslide

Part 4 and 5: Princess Segment and The Evil Queen

I combined these two because they are identical, but because I’m focusing on DHS’s story I’ll just state it here, Mickey pulls back and has the last “happy segment” until the forces of evil drawn to him attack with the Evil Queen unleashing the mayhem.

Winner:Tie

Part 6: The middle villains (Ursula/Jafar and Churnabog)

DL: The queen calls upon Ursula to wreck havoc, who then passes the baton to Churnabog. While I love the music, and realize it wasn’t always this way, I must point out that this is all one giant water screen section and after the awesomeness of Pan and the tension set up by the Queen this was always a major bummer and a drag on the show.

DHS: While I do not like that they included villains who do not possess magic (Frollo, Scar, Cruella) I do like the idea of all the villains coming down on Mickey, but having the Jafar scene here really helps rising the tension and danger. I also have to call out how great a transition between Genie Jafar, Hades and then Churnabog is. It also makes Mickey’s situation seem hopeless leading up to the Mistress of all Evil showing up.

Winner: DHS

Part 7: Malnificent

Other then the shots and quips of the extra villains and some extra water fountains the script is nearly identical, but DL has such a better dragon that DHS doesn’t stand a chance

Winner: DL

Part 8: Good Triumphs (Tink, Boat Character Calvalcade)

This is another segment with the same script, and another segment where DL stagecraft trumps DHS, as nothing can match seeing the Mark Twain full of Disney characters

Part 9: Sorcerer Mickey Finale

The finale plays out the same story wise in both versions but here DHS has the upper hand because it more faithfully recreates the dream segment in the short with its mountain background, individual flares moving to Mickey’s command at the beginning. I much prefer the east coast version of this segment

Winner DHS

Summary: I feel they are tied, DHS has a much better put together story, and other then the Pocahontas segment doesn’t have any “bad segments,” that said when DL F! Is good it is far better then DHS, but between the lackluster middle villains segment, the disappointing Mickey finale that is not very faithful to the original short and the muddled Jungle segment can’t quite emerge victorious over DHS.

Also I really like being able to sit down with an unobstructed view at DHS.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I can't argue with anyone who defends the HS dragon over this.
Good. Then don’t.

Clearly rotating on a turntable doesn’t help. Whilst true to the original the cartoon wings loose all sense of danger.

It’s more of a snigger.

I’m actually glad Orlando never got Snap. On a tangent, Disneyland Fantasmic 2010 was almost perfect. Now not so much. Overall it is a better show than Orlando but some of the more recent decisions leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I think DHS Fantasmic isn’t appreciated enough. While there are portions of DL’s that are better, there’s also portions that are worse. I really think each version is of similar quality, and I’m even talking about the pre POTC DL version. I’m going to repost something I wrote 3 years ago, comparing the two:

Ok you’ve all done it, I have the time to write it now, and it’s time for my whole thoughts on why Fantasmic! At DHS is much more maligned then it should be and DL Fantasmic is not the perfect masterpiece people make it out to be. Full disclosure: I enjoy both, also for simplicity sake I’m going to compare DL F! circa 2015, I’m also going to compare both the story and the quality of the scenes. Allright here we go:

This segment from my memory was identical in each show, as it should because it’s darn near perfect. This opening scene does a great job of first informing the audience what is about to happen and then showing Mickey figuring out and playing with the magic of his imagination.

DL: Mickey imagines a flower and then immediately after two villains enter the story the murderous Ka, and the comical kidnapper King Louie. Don’t get me wrong I love the dancing monkeys and the giant snake, it’s a great scene I just think it’s really misplaced as it suggests that Mickey quickly goes dark and starts imagining villains nearly immediately after the dream begins, of course the next vignette explains why, Mickey is drunk 😵! Look, I love the pink elephants as much as anyone and love the rock and roll riff on the song but there is a reason Walt decided to nix this idea for the spinner. Then we are treated to a very bizarre and out of place I’ve got no strings that seams to be here only to set up Monstro in the next scene. In short a very entertaining scene but a bit of a story telling mess

DHS: After the flower which is identical in both versions, instead of Jungle Book we get Lion King here but instead of focusing on villains we get treated to a stylized version of I just can’t wait to be King with a menagerie of black lit animals and along with the dancing monkeys minus King Louie. After this we have the dancing bubbles section that I happen to enjoy but realize most don’t. However, it’s hard to not see how this segment is designed to show Mickey’s imagination running away from him which sets up the appearance of the first villain appearance in this show.

Winner: DHS, it’s story is much more concise and even if you think the stage elements are better in DL, the snake will eventually come later.

DL: This section is the highlight for the show in this version, after Monstro comes we are treated to the Peter Pan sequence and start to get an idea of how big Mickey’s imagination is.

DHS: This segment is when danger first presents in this show rising the tension, however it’s not good, especially when compared to DL.

I combined these two because they are identical, but because I’m focusing on DHS’s story I’ll just state it here, Mickey pulls back and has the last “happy segment” until the forces of evil drawn to him attack with the Evil Queen unleashing the mayhem.

DL: The queen calls upon Ursula to wreck havoc, who then passes the baton to Churnabog. While I love the music, and realize it wasn’t always this way, I must point out that this is all one giant water screen section and after the awesomeness of Pan and the tension set up by the Queen this was always a major bummer and a drag on the show.

DHS: While I do not like that they included villains who do not possess magic (Frollo, Scar, Cruella) I do like the idea of all the villains coming down on Mickey, but having the Jafar scene here really helps rising the tension and danger. I also have to call out how great a transition between Genie Jafar, Hades and then Churnabog is. It also makes Mickey’s situation seem hopeless leading up to the Mistress of all Evil showing up.

Other then the shots and quips of the extra villains and some extra water fountains the script is nearly identical, but DL has such a better dragon that DHS doesn’t stand a chance

This is another segment with the same script, and another segment where DL stagecraft trumps DHS, as nothing can match seeing the Mark Twain full of Disney characters

The finale plays out the same story wise in both versions but here DHS has the upper hand because it more faithfully recreates the dream segment in the short with its mountain background, individual flares moving to Mickey’s command at the beginning. I much prefer the east coast version of this segment

Winner DHS

Summary: I feel they are tied, DHS has a much better put together story, and other then the Pocahontas segment doesn’t have any “bad segments,” that said when DL F! Is good it is far better then DHS, but between the lackluster middle villains segment, the disappointing Mickey finale that is not very faithful to the original short and the muddled Jungle segment can’t quite emerge victorious over DHS.

I appreciate the detail from your post.

But the fact Disneyland’s version takes place in a setting that during the day you would not know a show existed, as it transforms out of the ground before your eyes, and disappears in a final flash... will always make it the superior experience. IMO.

I will take that over the stadium any and every time.

Touchdown

I appreciate the detail from your post.

But the fact Disneyland’s version takes place in a setting that during the day you would not know a show existed, as it transforms out of the ground before your eyes, and disappears in a final flash... will always make it the superior experience. IMO.

I will take that over the stadium any and every time.
I value a comfortable seat more then that but I give you it is a neat part of the DL experience.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

Winner DHS

I agree. I was only discussing the dragon

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom