Soarin over.......

awalte7

So what all of this really means is that I have to wake myself up early enough to finally get to epcot and ride soarin before they change it all around???:hammer:

tomm4004

imagineersrock said:
You have to keep in mind that this attraction is part of The Land pavillion..... The attraction should be centered mainly around different beautiful (and natural) locations. The current film does a great job at that because of the fact that California has such a wide variety of beautiful scenery...
I agree. It's not about flying over recognizable landmarks per se, but about flying over interesting terrain. So we get desert, mountains, rivers, seascapes, okay - The Golden Gate Bridge, aircraft carrier, etc. I don't see them spending the money if it's just trading one mountainscape or golf course for another. I bet a lot of people don't even realize it's all California.

PigletIsMyCat

Soarin' over The Land makes the most sense to me. There are so many beautiful 'things' that happen to 'land', way better than bridges and golf courses. Think glaciers, frolicking penguins (sorry I just like pengiuns)... Flying over the Great Barrier Reef.... Looking down at an erupting volcano.... A steamy jungle, a dry and hot desert, the smell in the air as you fly through swamps, or wetlands, or over the Amazon.

I think they should concentrate on just that - The Land. Not a state, or a park even. I think that would fit perfectly in the pavillion and would also spark interest and imagination.

trdisneyfan

There is a pretty easy way they could add some randomness to the film without going digital...

The ride is only about 3 minutes long, but I believe most film reels can hold 15-30 minutes of footage. (someone with more knowledge about this can correct me) This means that you could, in theory, have multiple versions on the same film reel - no toggling between projectors or switching reels. Then, you just program the vehicle movements to each scene appropriately, and rewind the film after every 4th,5th, etc, ride. The chances of a rider seeing the same film twice in a row would drop significantly.

And as far as producing new footage goes... does anyone know if Disney can buy & use "stock" Imax footage from previous productions? And on that note, was everything you see in Soarin' made from scratch?

PS... Speaking of the smells - enjoy them while they last. The DCA version now continously smells like orangy pine.

peter11435

trdisneyfan said:
And as far as producing new footage goes... does anyone know if Disney can buy & use "stock" Imax footage from previous productions? And on that note, was everything you see in Soarin' made from scratch?
The entire Soarin' film was made from scratch. Here are a few fun facts to show how much work Disney put into creating the current film.

-Because airspace inside National Park boundaries is protected, it took several months for the film crew to obtain permission to fly a helicopter into Yosemite National Park. The last time a helicopter was permitted to fly through Yosemite was in the mid-1900s, when a flood had closed the park to visitors.

-Though it may be hard to see them, in the Yosemite sequence, mountain climbers are making their way along a cliff face before the waterfall comes into view. The six members of the Yosemite Mountaineering School spent an entire day before the shoot placing pitons for handholds and footholds during filming. While the shot was being set up, and in between takes, the climbers literally "hung around," suspended from the cliff by ropes. One climber clung to the cliff for about six hours before the shot was ready to go.

-Because of its status as a marine sanctuary, it took a year to obtain all of the necessary permits to film the Monterey/Point Lobos sequence of the film. One of the boats in this shot is a NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmosphere Administration) boat, whose job it was to monitor marine animal and bird activity during filming. Fortunately for the animals and the film crew, the shot was pulled off without disturbing any of the protected sea otters, sea lions or brown pelicans.

-The scene in which guests fly over the USS Stennis aircraft carrier, as it heads out of the San Diego port, is unusual in that all of the Navy jets and helicopters can be seen on the carrier. Normally the carrier offloads all of the aircraft as soon as it comes into port. When this scene of the film was shot, the vessel happened to be making a quick turn-around and had not had time to offload the aircraft. The USS Stennis is the largest aircraft carrier in the Navy's fleet.

-There is a scene in the film in which horses and riders gallop through Anza Borrego State Park. Prior to filming this scene, the film crew was required to hire an archaeologist and his team to perform a biological and paleontological resource assessment. In other words, the team hand-dusted the area from Fonts Wash to Fonts Point—a four-mile stretch of trail— in order to be sure no artifacts would be disturbed by the horses and riders.

-In the Anza Borrego shot, we see the Thunderbirds fly over the horseback riders. Many meetings with Air Force personnel were required to set up this shot. Flight paths for both the Thunderbirds and the helicopter film crew had to be carefully charted and arranged. The jets travel so fast that they would not be able to see the helicopter in time to avoid intercepting its flight path. Timing its departure and GPS location very precisely, the helicopter departed only a few miles from the filming rendezvous point, while the Thunderbirds took off from Nellis Air Force base, near Las Vegas, more than 200 miles away.

-Lt. Col. Brian Bishop, the Thunderbirds' lead pilot, uses the code name Be-Bop. The lead pilot for the Thunderbirds may hold his or her position for no more than three years, and Lt. Col. Brian Bishop's participation in the filming of this sequence for Soarin' Over California constituted his final flight as commander of the Thunderbirds.

-The film crew had to arrange and budget for a special staging of the Disneyland parade to film the final sequence for Soarin' Over California. In order to set up and film the shot, parade cast members repeatedly took small steps forward and then back again to resume

RonAnnArbor

Thanks for that fascinating post, Peter. That is exactly what I was trying to get at with my post earlier -- these films cost millions, not pittance...

CaptainMichael

pit·tance n.
1. A meager monetary allowance, wage, or remuneration.
2. A very small amount: not a pittance of remorse.

Just in case anyone else was wondering what it meant exactly.

PaisleyMF

Dwight Benedict said:
I think that a good addition to Soarin would be to have Dumbo fly by.:lol:

It could also be interesting if several flying caracters pup here and there, Aladdin and Jasmin on Carpet, Dumbo, The Great Gonzo from a Cannon blast, Lilo and Stich in their hovercarfts....

:hammer: :p :lol: :p :hammer: :p :lol: :p :hammer:​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom