Soarin over.......

Mr Bill

DisneyBunny said:
I wouldn't mind one whit if they changed the whole thing to "Soarin over WDW." The Disneyland sequence at the end of the current film is my fave part right now, and it would just be a neat experience to fly over the entirety of WDW.

Think of the cool possibilities - you could smell SSE, and Rome burning as you fly over it, catch a whiff of pineapple as you soar over Adventureland, see a baseball being hit out of the park over at the sports complex.... it would be cheaper to produce than anything over the USA, and it would offer a different perspective of the parks. Sadly, this will only probably exist in my imagination... :cry:
Although many of us would like that idea and find it interesting, critics would scoff at it, calling it nothing more than an advertisement disguised as an attraction.

imagineersrock

DisneyBunny said:
I wouldn't mind one whit if they changed the whole thing to "Soarin over WDW." The Disneyland sequence at the end of the current film is my fave part right now, and it would just be a neat experience to fly over the entirety of WDW.

Think of the cool possibilities - you could smell SSE, and Rome burning as you fly over it, catch a whiff of pineapple as you soar over Adventureland, see a baseball being hit out of the park over at the sports complex.... it would be cheaper to produce than anything over the USA, and it would offer a different perspective of the parks. Sadly, this will only probably exist in my imagination... :cry:

You have to keep in mind that this attraction is part of The Land pavillion..... The attraction should be centered mainly around different beautiful (and natural) locations. The current film does a great job at that because of the fact that California has such a wide variety of beautiful scenery.

IMO the current film will be just fine for a while... when the time comes to change or update it, they can even still keep the current name---just update the film so that it shows different locations and ecosystems from all around the globe rather than simply California. I'd love to fly over some deserts, tropical rainforests, or Arctic tundras.

NYCDisneyFan

Hey....
Have a friend who works at the Studio in Burbank and has been talking about them filming "Soarin' over the World" for about a year. Think it's almost done and probably will be ready for 2007. "Soarin' over California" was just for "the Happiest Celebration on Earth." Went to the previews of DCA back in Jan. 2001 and LOVED Soarin'. So glad it's at EPCOT and can't wait to see the new one.

Iakona

NYCDisneyFan said:
Hey....
Have a friend who works at the Studio in Burbank and has been talking about them filming "Soarin' over the World" for about a year. Think it's almost done and probably will be ready for 2007. "Soarin' over California" was just for "the Happiest Celebration on Earth." Went to the previews of DCA back in Jan. 2001 and LOVED Soarin'. So glad it's at EPCOT and can't wait to see the new one.

I don't have any inside sources, but we did ask about Soarin during Dining with an Imagineer. He said very little, but insinuated that being in Epcot the World theme would fit. Also, he mentioned that the entire ride system has to be reprogrammed to fit the film and that this is not a small project.

PaisleyMF

Iakona said:
I don't have any inside sources, but we did ask about Soarin during Dining with an Imagineer. He said very little, but insinuated that being in Epcot the World theme would fit. Also, he mentioned that the entire ride system has to be reprogrammed to fit the film and that this is not a small project.

The system has soft movements and the ventilation system, true is not a easy ride to program but not as difficult as Mission Space or Star Tours (to name some). most of the programming (and i presume has to do with timing of the olors and air blast, and some movement. Most of the program can be done in one theather and baked up in the others.

peter11435 said:
Not really. There are a few ways it could be done.

As for the IMAX proyector, how can it be done Randomly? Ive been looking all over the web and nothing pop up

yensidtlaw1969

Iakona said:
Funny, I asked the same thing and my Imagineer said that that was the great thing about Soarin', it's so largely based on film that switch the film and you're more than halfway done with the project. He said you'd have to reprogram scents and movement ofcourse, but it's nothing tremendous.

Hmmm, whatever.

Yensid "Soarin' to Tower" tlaw1969

peter11435

PaisleyMF said:
As for the IMAX proyector, how can it be done Randomly? Ive been looking all over the web and nothing pop up

Just becuase it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't be done easily. The simplist way to do it would be to simply have multiple projectors. However there are a number of other ways it could be done.

totodog

The easiest way they could do it is make one concourse keep the Soarin over California and the other concourse gets the new one. Only makes sense that a different concourse would take you to different destinations.

I think they missed the boat by not doing that with the Stitch Ride....they could have left one side with the Alien version and make the other side the more kid friendly Stitch. Both are about transporter technology, make a generic pre-show but each chamber different.

Just my 2 cents.

Jekyll Baker

peter11435 said:
Just becuase it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't be done easily. The simplist way to do it would be to simply have multiple projectors. However there are a number of other ways it could be done.

If (emphasize IF) randomness could be done, I think instead of random films, random film segments tied together seamlessly would be more interesting. Imagine: All trips would take off from the same location of course. Then fly over 15-20 scenes chosen from a hundred or so from around the world, and finally end up in one of the eleven Disney parks around the world. The ride would almost never be the same trip twice. And remember Disney has been known to develop new technology when they deem necessary.

peter11435

Jekyll Baker said:
Disney has been known to develop new technology when they deem necessary.

Exactly. Lets not forget that designing the ride system for Soarin' was far more difficult that figuring out a way to rotate ride films.

RonAnnArbor

Note: IMAX can run random films, it is not that difficult. BUT They aren't going to run random movies for re-ridability: this ride gets amazing re-rides even with the SAME film... I don't think a different movie would in any way impact the enjoyment of the ride - whether you are soaring over a river in Michigan, or over a river in California, you are going to get a similar ride experiece. It would be fun to see a version directly for WDW. While it seems, on the surface, that they should be able to make a new movie rather easily, you have to remember that there are many things involved in any change. First, the imagineers themselves designed the ride to play a certain way with certain scenes and computer motions for the ride to program. Second, they paid a very high fee to the cinematographers. The music for this ride was specifically scored for the ride by Mr. Goldsmith (an independent movie score composer), and I am sure he got paid hundreds of thousands, not pittace, to do so. All of those things are copyrighted and contracted. Contracts specify a certain amount of money to a composer of designer for a certain amount of time. Any changes to those result in breach of contract, etc. Changes are great, but they take time, and I am sure they have been planned out years in advance. Overall, though, I don't think there will be any major changes in the "ride experience" with new video. I know when they put the ride in originally, there was tremendous talk about the ending (SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT RIDDEN STOP READING!) ending up at Disneyland in Anaheim rather than WDW. They decided to leave it in, as the ride was installed to celebrate the 50th anniversary. I wouldn't expect any ride changes before 2007, but would be fun to see a new film! EIther way, this is probably the best ride at any amusement park right now - I hardly think they are worried about any falloff on ridership.

PaisleyMF

Something is for sure they should ad another wing to manage more riders in both parks. This is an amazing ride, a superb technology and the most amazing experience ever. Either it changes or kept the same.

yensidtlaw1969

Tuddle said:
Cant they use two different films, one for each theater, they could have a theme of Chose your Destination
Hmmmm . . . what Epcot attraction have I seen this on before that also included the scent of oranges . . . .

I'll get back to you when I think of it.

Yensid "if you can Dream it . . ." tlaw1969

yensidtlaw1969

Sorry, I was messing around when I said I didn't remember. Guess I didn't click the smiley hard enough :lol: .

Yensid "note-the-"witty"-comment-placed-here-frequently" tlaw1969

Sledge

Account Suspended
yensidtlaw1969 said:
Sorry, I was messing around when I said I didn't remember. Guess I didn't click the smiley hard enough :lol: .

Yensid "note-the-"witty"-comment-placed-here-frequently" tlaw1969
Haha. Oops. Wasn't sure if you were serious or not so thought I'd help. lol

Epcot82Guy

I would love to see Soarin over the Land. I also think having two films for the theaters would be a great addition if/when the attraction starts to lose popularity. The reprogramming could be really neat. I do hope that a new film comes for Epcot's 25th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom