Soarin' Over the World Info/Update

yeti

Original Poster
With all the Fantasyland buzz recently, its nice to know there are other projects worth discussing about.
Disney and More Blog said:
But what about the "Soarin'over the World" movie itself, you ask? Well, the last two years WDI imagineers were scouting locations around the world, and once the locations are choosen they need government's authorizations to film from an helicopter. Part of the shooting itself - for instance in France - was scheduled for last summer but it may have changed. Now, may be it don't looks like, but this "Soaring over the World movie" is going to be a real challenge for WDI imagineers. Why? Well, as in this new "Soarin'" movie we will soar "over and around the world" it means different filming in different locations, and here comes the question of the best season. Very probably the best time for filming should be in spring or early summer to avoid landscapes with no leaves on the trees of winter or summer monsoon rains in other locations. Not to mention that for other countries, it will be another season than spring which may be the right one for filming.

Before i go further, a little warning as there will be some spoilers ahead.

Now, the big question is : over which location will we "soar" in this new movie? Well, WDI imagineers have chosen some countries and if they don't change their plans, prepare yourself to soar over England, France, Italy, Egypt, India, China, Japan, and for the U.S.A: the Grand Canyon and New York.

Although there is no South America country in the list above it doesn't mean it's not part of Imagineers plans. They have the choice: Brasil and Rio de Janeiro's bay or Iguaçu Falls, The Amazonia forest, The old Inca Machu-Pichu fortress in Peru, all these would be spectacular locations to soar above...

However, the other part of the Imagineers challenge will be probably to avoid filming a too "obvious" Travelogue. It's not going to be easy, as each country have its own iconic place/city/monument and it's a little bit everyone's dream to fly above them.

But in each country there is also plenty of natural wonders like, for instance, the Grand Canyon. And WDI imagineers may prefer to film them instead of cities or historical landmark like the Forbidden City in Beijing. Or may be they will do a mix of both to help the audience to identify instantly the "country".

Once the filming will be done WDI Imagineers still have to do the editing, add the music score and fix everything right which always takes some months... One last wish and i'm sure that most of you who've ride the first "Soarin'" will agree with me: please try to do a longer movie - which should be the case anyway as a roundtrip around the world in less than 5 minutes would be reaaally short - 7-8 minutes would be fine, it's never too long when you soar above all these wonders even if we must keep in mind the attraction hour capacity. Also: pleaaaase keep - or adapt - the original and fantastic Jerry Goldsmith original music score, no need to have a new one, really!

To come back to the WDS, it will be interesting to see if they will use only the new Soarin' over the World movie or also the first one, Soarin' over California. After all, as the attraction have two theaters guests could have the choice between the two movies... Personally i think they will use only Soarin' over the World at the opening and might keep Soarin over California for a re-boost of the attraction some years later.

Whether Soarin' will come at the WDS in the future or not - personally i think it will and that WDS guests will love it - let's all be patient and wait with confidence. Soarin over the World should arrive in 2013 at DCA and Epcot and hopefully later at the WDS. The sooner will be the better as i'm sure that Soarin' over the World will be an awesome experience!

You can read the full article at: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2010/10/when-soarin-over-world-will-come-to.html

Interesting, eh? Thanks to Alain Littaye for the info.

ttalovebug

I hope that, if this is true, they stick to natural landmarks like mountains, waterfalls, rainforests, etc. and not cities or man-made structures. It is the LAND, after all.

Oh, and I would hope that the score would remain. It's simply beautiful.

GrumpyFan

Perhaps one day this will get greenlit. I agree that the original score is perfect, and beautiful. Hopefully for the future film they'll also go digital, which should in theory make it easier to replace segments and/or do multiple destinations. I think it would be great if they had half a dozen different destinations and they would rotate randomly, or even on a timed schedule, which be a direct tie-in with the themeing. Then, they could also do seasonal versions, and show the same places or different places in different seasons.

stitch2008

Originally Posted by Disney and More Blog

But what about the "Soarin'over the World" movie itself, you ask? Well, the last two years WDI imagineers were scouting locations around the world, and once the locations are choosen they need government's authorizations to film from an helicopter. Part of the shooting itself - for instance in France - was scheduled for last summer but it may have changed. Now, may be it don't looks like, but this "Soaring over the World movie" is going to be a real challenge for WDI imagineers. Why? Well, as in this new "Soarin'" movie we will soar "over and around the world" it means different filming in different locations, and here comes the question of the best season. Very probably the best time for filming should be in spring or early summer to avoid landscapes with no leaves on the trees of winter or summer monsoon rains in other locations. Not to mention that for other countries, it will be another season than spring which may be the right one for filming.

Before i go further, a little warning as there will be some spoilers ahead.

Now, the big question is : over which location will we "soar" in this new movie? Well, WDI imagineers have chosen some countries and if they don't change their plans, prepare yourself to soar over England, France, Italy, Egypt, India, China, Japan, and for the U.S.A: the Grand Canyon and New York.

Although there is no South America country in the list above it doesn't mean it's not part of Imagineers plans. They have the choice: Brasil and Rio de Janeiro's bay or Iguaçu Falls, The Amazonia forest, The old Inca Machu-Pichu fortress in Peru, all these would be spectacular locations to soar above...

However, the other part of the Imagineers challenge will be probably to avoid filming a too "obvious" Travelogue. It's not going to be easy, as each country have its own iconic place/city/monument and it's a little bit everyone's dream to fly above them.

But in each country there is also plenty of natural wonders like, for instance, the Grand Canyon. And WDI imagineers may prefer to film them instead of cities or historical landmark like the Forbidden City in Beijing. Or may be they will do a mix of both to help the audience to identify instantly the "country".

Once the filming will be done WDI Imagineers still have to do the editing, add the music score and fix everything right which always takes some months... One last wish and i'm sure that most of you who've ride the first "Soarin'" will agree with me: please try to do a longer movie - which should be the case anyway as a roundtrip around the world in less than 5 minutes would be reaaally short - 7-8 minutes would be fine, it's never too long when you soar above all these wonders even if we must keep in mind the attraction hour capacity. Also: pleaaaase keep - or adapt - the original and fantastic Jerry Goldsmith original music score, no need to have a new one, really!

Whether Soarin' will come at the WDS in the future or not - personally i think it will and that WDS guests will love it - let's all be patient and wait with confidence. Soarin over the World should arrive in 2013 at DCA and Epcot and hopefully later at the WDS. The sooner will be the better as i'm sure that Soarin' over the World will be an awesome experience

The article makes some great points about filming. They have to get these shots perfect. So its obviously will take some time to create while they try to capture the right shots for the new film.

Oh and about the score. I believe the score will replaced just because the different locations. The basic theme for the ride will most likley remain. Personally, IF the score is redone, I'd love to see James Horner(Apollo 13) to rescore the ride. But I think they will ask him to keep the basic theme and adapt it for the new film.

raven

Are you really sure you want the movie to be longer that 5 minutes? Ok then. Just don't complain about the wait times doubling than what they are now at any given time.

Erin_Akey

I know this is ridiculous, but I'd be soooo upset if they got rid of the current music. I love it! It's actually my ring tone. LOL

imagineer boy

I agree, I hope they film natural land marks. That would really help it tie into the Land pavillion's theme.

Either way I really hope they go through with this. It simply makes no sense to be flying over California in Florida.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I really, really hope it doesn't return you to Disneyland in the end for the Epcot version.

I think the attraction is great, for all ages, but they definitely got lazy when they brought it here...but what am I saying. OF COURSE they got lazy....it's TDO!! :rolleyes:

stitch2008

I know this is ridiculous, but I'd be soooo upset if they got rid of the current music. I love it! It's actually my ring tone. LOL

I really, really hope this happens in the near future, but they keep the same soundtrack.

Like I said, they can reuse the same basic music theme. But the music has to match the visuals on screen. So if changes need to be made, I'm for it. But I'm sure they will keep the basic theme go from there. It's kind of like the Pirates films. While the actual music different for each film, they all have the same kind of melodies. I hope that makes sense.:shrug:

lazyboy97o

Whike the attraction is featured at The Land Pavilion at EPCOT Center, that is not the case elsewhere. Also, The Land is not about a human/less landscape, but one actively used by man, and I think urban environments would still be applicable.

There is no excuse, in my book, that will justify a the new version ending over Disneyland, except in California where the new Disney's California Adventure should be shown as well. CarsLand would be a sight to see from the air.

RSoxNo1

Apparently there are new "smelly shirts" for Soarin'

There are child's shirts that smell like Orange and adult shirts that smell like Pine.

scentedsoarinshirts.jpg

sponono88

Good news for EPCOT.

But I don't want to soar over the world in California Adventure! I hope they keep the new film out of DCA.

Also, a new film just won't be the same without Jerry Goldsmith's score. :(

DisneyGAL4Life

While this sounds cool, filming has already taken place for Soarin' over Florida. They have even filmed the scene where The Blue Angels fly over central Florida.

btmrider

I guess a easier way to say this is, think It's A Small World. Each country has its own version of the song, but they all have the same melody.

s8film40

If they were to change the music, they wouldn't have to worry about the running time. They could have a ten minute film and still have probably half the wait they do now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom