Soarin' - Is it the film or the screen?

captainkidd

Original Poster
Rode it last week and was shocked at how bad the picture was. Long smudges of dirt, but I couldn't tell if it was the screen or the film. This is one of those things I simply don't understand. How difficult can it possibly be to fix either problem?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While the screen is not perfect, the film and the less than satisfactory conditions in the projection booth are the biggest problem.

71dsp

We noticed last month that the screen (or video) had more "crud" on it than we recall seeing. I was a bit disappointed as I think it's a great ride and my family loves it. Since it's the focus of attention during the ride, I really think it should be fixed ASAP.

real mad hatter

It's The Screen!

I can't remember which one but when you get to the end of the queue you go left or right,but one screen was terrible compared to the other.:fork:

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Oh I hope they fix it before August!

To me it seems simple, shut it down next month and have it cleaned up before the big Test Track Refurb :shrug:

Shoot, I noticed a problem last March. It should be fixed, as it's one of my favorite rides. The other thing that I noticed that was kind of an eyesore was the queue...next time you're there, look up! The ceiling is open and dirty and dusty. I mean really, can we pop for ceiling tiles or something?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
IMAX stipulate a clean room for the projectors. Air tight in a totally controlled dust free environment. Sadly Epcots was built below par.

Unlike the DCA original.

Kobe!!

It's the lens. Dirt, dust and bugs are clearly visible. At least back in October it was. Pathetic.

It's more so the film and the screen, the lens is the last major problem. The film is looped over and over and after awhile it is just normal for the film to get worn down.

CP_alum08

Oh I hope they fix it before August!

To me it seems simple, shut it down next month and have it cleaned up before the big Test Track Refurb :shrug:

maybe they will shut it down, clean the projector, and then accidently demolish the entire ride and build something else/better. Wishful thinking.

DisneyJunkie

They need to get themselves some High Def projections and get away from the regular camera film. They can ask James Cameron about that if they don't know how to go about it.

Pioneer Hall

A popularity that is entirely based on the relative scarcity of "rides" at EPCOT in general.

The wait times have more to do with that than how popular the attraction is. I won't lie and say that I am a huge Soarin fan (although I do enjoy riding it when I don't have to wait too long). However, nearly every time I ride people start applauding at the end. Also, when I talk to just casual visitors (you know...not us crazy fanatics), a lot of people give Soarin high marks.

Rasvar

They need to get themselves some High Def projections and get away from the regular camera film. They can ask James Cameron about that if they don't know how to go about it.

Digital is still not an option for an IMAX size screen. The definition does not yet go high enough. I have not seen WDW's for a while but the one at DCA was in bad shape when I was there last month. Not only was there dust and a few scratches on the film but someone apparently threw something that left a splatter spot on one of the screens. (I'm not sure how the other screen was because it when down while I was in the line and was not back up when I came back three hours later.)

disney fan 13

The wait times have more to do with that than how popular the attraction is. I won't lie and say that I am a huge Soarin fan (although I do enjoy riding it when I don't have to wait too long). However, nearly every time I ride people start applauding at the end. Also, when I talk to just casual visitors (you know...not us crazy fanatics), a lot of people give Soarin high marks.

It may be popular but the placement of it is not right... Since I really do not think that flying over California bridges and military bases, fits in with the theme of the pavilion

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom