Soarin' - Is it the film or the screen?

hollywoodj

This has been a problem for the past few months AT LEAST. When I first noticed it back in October, I emailed customer relations and they called me a week later. They said they clean the film every night, but will "report the problem to the proper manager." Yet, it's still dirty. I rode it Saturday. It's my favorite ride throughout the resort honestly, so I want the problem fixed.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The wait times have more to do with that than how popular the attraction is. I won't lie and say that I am a huge Soarin fan (although I do enjoy riding it when I don't have to wait too long). However, nearly every time I ride people start applauding at the end. Also, when I talk to just casual visitors (you know...not us crazy fanatics), a lot of people give Soarin high marks.

You are right

I consider myself a pretty big Soarin fan. The ride when it first opened was awesome. It can still be an awesome experience. And if it was in good shape, it would be even more popular. But the film is in such bad shape its appalling. Not to mention it is getting a bit tired.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It may be popular but the placement of it is not right... Since I really do not think that flying over California bridges and military bases, fits in with the theme of the pavilion

The ride is Soarin' over California. The brige is the Golden Gate, somewhat, mildly, iconic. And just a tad important to the state. As is the San Diego naval base, which is the largest naval base on the West Coast.

71dsp

My family and I really enjoy Soarin'. I find it to be a fun ride, but my son and I being scared of heights probably makes it more exciting for us than most other people. We'll keep riding it, but I wish they would do something about the video/screen quality.

Alektronic

It is not the film or the screen. It is actually a part on the projector called the Field Flattener which collects a lot of dirt and it needs to be cleaned often. If the environment was cleaner it would be easier to keep clean. They have been having humidity issues for a while now in the projection booths.

Pioneer Hall

It may be popular but the placement of it is not right... Since I really do not think that flying over California bridges and military bases, fits in with the theme of the pavilion

Popularity and placement are two completely different topics though. Not exactly sure how my statement had anything to do with the placement of the attraction itself.

disney fan 13

The ride is Soarin' over California. The brige is the Golden Gate, somewhat, mildly, iconic. And just a tad important to the state. As is the San Diego naval base, which is the largest naval base on the West Coast.

Don't think you got what I meant... What does Soarin' over california have to do with land preservation and healthy eating?

Pioneer Hall

You are right

I consider myself a pretty big Soarin fan. The ride when it first opened was awesome. It can still be an awesome experience. And if it was in good shape, it would be even more popular. But the film is in such bad shape its appalling. Not to mention it is getting a bit tired.

I think "tired" is in the eye of the beholder. I would prefer a Soarin' that had more of a national (or even international) appeal than just the California version we have now. However, I think things become "tired" to us because we see them so often as regular visitors. The Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Small World, etc are largely the same attractions they were 40 years ago and any changes have been fairly recent. For some reason though, I don't see people commenting on how those attractions are "tired". I think we as a community tend to overlook certain aspects when we take history and nostalgia into account, and then the more modern things we expect to be updated and changed more frequently. I consider something like American Idol to be tired, but more because of the concept than the execution. The TV show had pretty much jumped the shark when Disney opened the attraction, and it obviously hasn't really gotten much better since.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Don't think you got what I meant... What does Soarin' over california have to do with land preservation and healthy eating?

The converse is that is what do they have to do with Soarin'? It's a ride, and may not always or entirely fit the alleged theme of the pavilion they're in. But selecting those two parts of the overall film doesn't really make your argument any more valid.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think "tired" is in the eye of the beholder. I would prefer a Soarin' that had more of a national (or even international) appeal than just the California version we have now. However, I think things become "tired" to us because we see them so often as regular visitors. The Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Small World, etc are largely the same attractions they were 40 years ago and any changes have been fairly recent. For some reason though, I don't see people commenting on how those attractions are "tired". I think we as a community tend to overlook certain aspects when we take history and nostalgia into account, and then the more modern things we expect to be updated and changed more frequently. I consider something like American Idol to be tired, but more because of the concept than the execution. The TV show had pretty much jumped the shark when Disney opened the attraction, and it obviously hasn't really gotten much better since.

You have a point with the modern things feeling tired quicker. The fact that Soarin' is a screen based ride makes me feel it is getting tired quicker. A film should be something that can be updated more frequently. The ride system/overall experience is great. Switching in a new film once a decade would go a long way towards keeping Soarin fun and exciting.

Haunted Mansion and Pirates have also had some additions and updates that keep them from having that tired feeling. From the new Ghost projections on HM, to the addition of Capt Jack in Pirates.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Well you fly over a fairly large amount of natural wonders. Seeing those beautiful natural environments certainly inspires a feeling of conservation. No?

SleepingMonk

Also, when I talk to just casual visitors (you know...not us crazy fanatics), a lot of people give Soarin high marks.

Interesting observation.

On our last visit to EPCOT we were behind a family from Japan and if I had to guess I would say it was their first visit to the park.

I actually felt somewhat embarrassed for the state of the ride, it has dust and cobwebs in the exposed ceiling, the paint along the final queue walls is chipped, the television showing the preboarding video was almost showing in black and white only and then of course the dirt in the film and the stains on the screen, etc....

The thing was they were all thrilled! The dad sat next to me and was white knuckle gripping the seat the entire time. When the ride was over they all clapped and had smiles ear to ear.

Perspective is so very, very relative to the viewer.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Interesting observation.

On our last visit to EPCOT we were behind a family from Japan and if I had to guess I would say it was their first visit to the park.

I actually felt somewhat embarrassed for the state of the ride, it has dust and cobwebs in the exposed ceiling, the paint along the final queue walls is chipped, the television showing the preboarding video was almost showing in black and white only and then of course the dirt in the film and the stains on the screen, etc....

The thing was they were all thrilled! The dad sat next to me and was white knuckle gripping the seat the entire time. When the ride was over they all clapped and had smiles ear to ear.

My wife sat next to a family on their first visit to WDW during our last trip. We enjoyed the ride and smells as we always do, but the expressions on that family's face were probably similar to the ones you saw. Again, all in the relative eye of the beholder.

Pioneer Hall

You have a point with the modern things feeling tired quicker. The fact that Soarin' is a screen based ride makes me feel it is getting tired quicker. A film should be something that can be updated more frequently. The ride system/overall experience is great. Switching in a new film once a decade would go a long way towards keeping Soarin fun and exciting.

Haunted Mansion and Pirates have also had some additions and updates that keep them from having that tired feeling. From the new Ghost projections on HM, to the addition of Capt Jack in Pirates.

I agree that movies can be switched easier than actual sets. However, I would imagine that shooting the movie such as Soarin' probably costs a bit more than just replacing a scene in say Toy Story Mania. The attraction is only 7 years old in Epcot though, so I would say that they don't have to run and change it right now. However, sometime in the next 5 years would be nice (they should clean it up though).

Interesting observation.

We as a fan base will tend to notice the imperfections more than any casual visitor. It is a blessing and a curse, because it can make an impact on our visits that a "normal" person won't have. It doesn't excuse Disney from not keeping it clean, but the average guest is more concerned big picture than spots on the screen.

captainkidd

Original Poster
So very true. When the ride ended last week, there was a group of girls there for a dancing competition and they all clapped.

I haven't noticed the dirtiness in the waiting areas or the ride itself, other than of course the screen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom