Soarin: Is It Really That Great?

The Magical Genie 123

Original Poster
On my last trip to Disney World, I went on Soarin for the first time. I really wasn't all that impressed. I mean, it's ok, but it's no more than a once per trip kind of thing. I know a lot of people enjoy it, but I wasn't a huge fan. The finale is great, but other than that, I really don't get the hype. And the wait time for it is always around an hour and a half. I just don't get it.:confused: What is your opinion on Soarin? Is it really worth a 90 minute wait? And if you're a Soarin fan, don't hate on me. Just giving an opinion.:)

Chef Mickey

It's a great ride and an example of a themed attraction without some silly character, celebrity, or movie fouling things up. They had an idea and took it to the next level, in true Disney fashion. This concept is becoming foreign as rides increasingly become more about theming to a movie or character to draw crowds. I miss the rides that are just great because of what they are, not some cheap themed mess that won't stand the test of time. The best rides are those that don't rely on a character or movie to be great. Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Spaceship Earth, etc.

It's getting old and the projection needs to be changed to digital HD, but it's still a phenomenal ride.

It is being updated soon with new locations and desperately needed improvement in video quality.

Redhawk

I've been on it twice (once many years ago and once about 2 years ago because I'd forgotten what it was like) and I thought it was ok but couldn't understand why others feel it's such an amazing ride. I've no interest in riding it again unless they update the film and get a new high-def screen.

Redhawk

Now that we have tiered FP+ in Epcot, many people are upset that they have to choose between TT or Soarin'. The fact that my husband and I don't care about Soarin' makes that choice an easy one.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I won't ride it in Epcot anymore not worth the wait but we do ride every time we are in DCA. Shorter wait and they take better care of the screen and
projectors.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Since this is all opinion, I will join you in saying that for me, NOPE. I also don't really get that much enjoyment out of it. I rode it for the first time in years after the Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon at around 2am in November, and even with a wait time of 0 minutes, I didn't really enjoy it.
The rest of my family loves it though. Personally, I can't get past 2 things.
1) I hate that it's just a port of the DCA ride. California makes sense in DCA, it makes NO sense in WDW.
2) I loved the previous two attractions that took up that space there and would like them back instead.

It has long wait times because in Epcot, there are about 3 rides worth doing in it's current state. Soarin, Test Track, and Mission Space. I'm sure someone on here can come in and site hourly capacity stats (what I'm finding online is between 1600-1800/hour). Epcot has the 2nd most visitors at WDW, and only has 3 "must-do" attractions.

Californian Elitist

Soarin' Over California was great when it first debuted in 2001. I've been experiencing that ride for the past thirteen year, and, for the most part, that amazed feeling I used to have has now dwindled, A LOT. It doesn't help that I'm a native Californian and have been to some of the places in the video.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I won't ride it in Epcot anymore not worth the wait but we do ride every time we are in DCA. Shorter wait and they take better care of the screen and
projectors.
Plus, it makes sense in DCA, because it's about California, in a park about California.

If/When they update it to Soarin' over the World, I think I'll end up putting it back on my list of attractions to visit. Until then, I'll happily sit and loop through Living with the Land a few times while everyone else flies over the golf course in their faux hang-glider.

Chef Mickey

Since this is all opinion, I will join you in saying that for me, NOPE. I also don't really get that much enjoyment out of it. I rode it for the first time in years after the Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon at around 2am in November, and even with a wait time of 0 minutes, I didn't really enjoy it.
The rest of my family loves it though. Personally, I can't get past 2 things.
1) I hate that it's just a port of the DCA ride. California makes sense in DCA, it makes NO sense in WDW.
2) I loved the previous two attractions that took up that space there and would like them back instead.

It has long wait times because in Epcot, there are about 3 rides worth doing in it's current state. Soarin, Test Track, and Mission Space. I'm sure someone on here can come in and site hourly capacity stats (what I'm finding online is between 1600-1800/hour). Epcot has the 2nd most visitors at WDW, and only has 3 "must-do" attractions.
Spaceship Earth and The American Adventure are easily must dos..

I miss Food Rocks as well. I've said before I wish they'd do more "Additions" rather than substitutions. I want Food Rocks and Soarin'.

Figmentation

I find Soarin' to be a fairly relaxing ride. It's in my books as one that you can enjoy AC and sit down and enjoy a 8-10 minute song/video without any extra gimmicks

Usually not worth it without a fastpass though. The games in the lines are fun, and even enjoyable to watch, but after you've done it a dozen or so times the wait in line usually isnt worth it.

With the new Fastpass+ though, I usually choose Soarin over TT because TT has a single riders line... and I'm usually by myself. :)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Spaceship Earth and The American Adventure are easily must dos..

I miss Food Rocks as well. I've said before I wish they'd do more "Additions" rather than substitutions. I want Food Rocks and Soarin'.
I'll clarify, I really meant what most people would call a must-do. For me, SSE and Living with the Land are the absolute TOP of my Epcot touring plan. Everything else comes much farther down the list.

Edit: I'll take Kitchen Kabaret over Soarin' every single day.

Mukta

I won't wait 90 minutes for any ride.

I love Soarin' Over California. I am very proud of my home state and I love the way it is presented on that ride.
The music is incredible and flying over the beautiful scenes makes me proud to be a Californian.

Luckily, I live near DL/DCA and I can ride it whenever I want to, so I don't wait in line for it at Epcot. Living with the Land gets all of my time in Epcot. I would rather ride that over and over again.

rob0519

We first saw it at DCA over 10 years ago. It was interesting the first time. We've done it a few more times at WDW when the lines were short, but with the degrading film quality we tend to leave it for the first time guests.

Worldlover71

I'll add my vote to those that love the ride. However, nothing is worth a 90 minute wait to me. I do it twice each trip, usually once with FP and once with single rider. The beautiful music alone is enough for me. It's also one of those classic attractions that the whole family can enjoy together, a sadly dwindling number.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom