Soarin' in Imagineering Field Guide

mayoki

Original Poster
I was reading my brand spankin' new Imagineering Field Guide to Epcot last night and there was an interesting quote about Soarin', specifically that the California movie was the "initial" movie.

Sounds like there are plans for a new movie...

giantgolfer

Are you talking about the line on page 66? I read and interpreted that line differently I guess....

"This show, Soarin', takes us on an amazing journey over this great, big, wonderful land of ours. Specifically, California, as this attraction is presented initially as a gift from the California park."

Pete C

Soarin Over the World is the obvious choice. You have the tie-in with the World Showcase. I know people have suggested Soarin over Florida in other threads, but it is not a good idea. Florida has very little topography or natural beauty outside of beaches and palm trees...hardly enough material for a new film. That and the orange groves were already covered in the original film anyway. Now, Soarin over the World would be totally amazing. Great Wall, Pyramids, Alps, Grand Canyon, Machu Picchu...there are just countless amazing locations begging to be in a video like this. They would have to build another bay or two just to handle the crowds...as if they didn't need it already. Do that and you have a 20-year blockbuster attraction.

Since1976

I wouldn't read too much into that, at least in terms of the near future (5 - 8 years). While the ability to change out the film is inherent, the ride just opened at Epcot, and is EXTREMELY popular in its current form. It is likely not to change for a long while.

On a side note, I would personally like to see the format of the attraction duplicated on a radical scale, say at STAR TOURS. How cool would it be to experience the battle of Coruscant, Soarin' style?

TTA-ATW

If they are going to upgrade a sim ride I would like to see a new Star Tours ride long before we get a new version of Soarin'. Soarin' is still new to us at WDW, and Star tours is showing its age. May the Force be with you. :D

sorry since1976... I completely agree with you.

PintoColvig

I've been on Soarin' at least 10 times now. I've enjoyed it as much each time. I don't see myself tiring of it any time soon. When the time comes for another film, I would love to see them keep the current one up and running in one show building while offering another film in the other. Are there just two? I'd like the idea of having a choice. Besides, I'd ride it twice as much! :D

SteveUK

I wouldn't read too much into that comment in the book. By saying the 'initial' film they are covering themselves for the future. They are making the book future-proof in case the film ever changes at any point in the future, the book will still be correct.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
this has no indication of a future film. It just means this was a clone of the california version for the HCOE celebration

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I read it as it was a clone from the original as a gift, but once the 50th party ends it`ll be staying, which, of course, it will!

metscool

Maybe they should try it into the theme of Florida. Why would they have a movie about Cal. in Florida. I thought that they were going to change it when they move it over here. Now it is a great time to change it.

SirNim

It's safe to assume that the film in its current version cannot stay there forever, especially with the Christmastime flyover of Disneyland® Park at the finale. It's important that when it does change in 5, 10, 15, or (egads!) 20 years (hopefully much sooner than that) the new film will feature agricultural regions like the Banaue Rice Terraces in the Philippines and irrigated fields in Egypt in addition to the grand natural wonders like the Grand Canyon and the Alps...in order to preserve the agricultural theme of The Land...

mayoki

Original Poster
giantgolfer said:
Are you talking about the line on page 66? I read and interpreted that line differently I guess....

"This show, Soarin', takes us on an amazing journey over this great, big, wonderful land of ours. Specifically, California, as this attraction is presented initially as a gift from the California park."

Yes that is the line I was referring to..It sounds like an tip of the hat to the original ride, then it will be modified to Soarin' over ?????

PintoColvig

buckybeaver said:
If they remove Eisner hitting the golf ball, I am all for it.

WHAT? THAT'S EISNER?!! :hurl: Thanks for running that wonderful ride for me! I'm never riding it again! :brick: Well, maybe one more time :D .

DrJones

I believe the "initial" aspect might be referring to the night time scene where they fly over downtown LA. The video isn't very clear and "faster" than real time, from what I've heard LA would not let them do a 2nd fly over, thus there initial trial run had to be used.

I can't remember where I heard this, so its a rumor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom