Soarin' - c'mon you guys.........really

Mickey is King

Original Poster
Just got back from the world Nov. 27 from a week of a near perfect vacation ....O.k., Soarin' is one of my favorite attractons ever!!!!!!!
But I have to say, the screen is a little, well,____***y looking this last time, you could see some tiles and the picture isn't all that. I hear more people complain about the wait times and location of this attaction. If you have ever read any of my posts/threads you already know how I feel about where they put it....BIG MISTAKE- BIG....BUt at least spruce up the screen & film. the updated Hall of Presidents film was CRYSTAL clear I thought. it should be more like that in terms of quality..
I LOVE the ride but I'm so frustrated by the way they just kinda threw it in there a while back and now it's just looking raddy.........time for an update guys........and if you have time, move it to the other side of future world with it's own hanger w/ another projection room- there is plenty of call for another projector, plenty.....

heartodisney

Oh, this is very sad for this ride! I love this ride, but I do have to agree, about the waiting times! We did not get to ride last time due to a 3 hour wait. Very sad!

Phonedave

Just got back from the world Nov. 27 from a week of a near perfect vacation ....O.k., Soarin' is one of my favorite attractons ever!!!!!!!
But I have to say, the screen is a little, well,____***y looking this last time, you could see some tiles and the picture isn't all that. I hear more people complain about the wait times and location of this attaction. If you have ever read any of my posts/threads you already know how I feel about where they put it....BIG MISTAKE- BIG....BUt at least spruce up the screen & film. the updated Hall of Presidents film was CRYSTAL clear I thought. it should be more like that in terms of quality..
I LOVE the ride but I'm so frustrated by the way they just kinda threw it in there a while back and now it's just looking raddy.........time for an update guys........and if you have time, move it to the other side of future world with it's own hanger w/ another projection room- there is plenty of call for another projector, plenty.....

Well moving it is not quite as easy as holding your power point presentation in Conference room B instead of conference room A

but ....

That screen / projection has had flaws in it for years now. For some reason my eyes are drawn to them as well. I can help but see the little black spots that are all over it. It really is in poor shape an in need of a refurb. At least for me, any idea of immersion is destroyed. (and hanging feet never bothered me)

-dave

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well moving it is not quite as easy as holding your power point presentation in Conference room B instead of conference room A

but ....

That screen / projection has had flaws in it for years now. For some reason my eyes are drawn to them as well. I can help but see the little black spots that are all over it. It really is in poor shape an in need of a refurb. At least for me, any idea of immersion is destroyed. (and hanging feet never bothered me)

-dave
I agree. I love this attraction but there is simply no reason in this day and age that Soarin's projection quality should be as bad as it is.

EPCOTPluto

I have always seen the quality of the screen and film. It's certainly poor. Forget a new film and focus on the cleaning. :lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun

Just clean up the screen and/or updated to a more digital format. At least the quality would improve. :shrug:

Well moving it is not quite as easy as holding your power point presentation in Conference room B instead of conference room A.
Besides, should there be a need for another hanger, isn't there room behind the current Soarin' building for expansion?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Besides, should there be a need for another hanger. Isn't there room behind the current Soarin' building for expansion?
Judging from that satellite view there appears to be room to add as many as 4 more hangars. Personally I wish they would add another 2 with DLP IMAX projectors and then upgrade the original two theaters.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Besides, should there be a need for another hanger. Isn't there room behind the current Soarin' building for expansion?
There is plenty of room - they could build a duplicate of the 2005 building and only need to mover a few trailers and the odd sub, but can you see the capital outlay happening for no return? Guests will come and line up no matter what.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There is plenty of room - they could build a duplicate of the 2005 building and only need to mover a few trailers and the odd sub, but can you see the capital outlay happening for no return? Guests will come and line up no matter what.
The only return I could really see is guest satisfaction as the wait at Soarin would drop to a reasonable level (ie standby being 30 minutes or less) with an additional 2 screens.

captainkidd

I won't say I skip Soarin' because of the screen, but it sure doesn't help me want to stand in line for at least 30 minutes, even with a fastpass.

EPCOT Explorer

Capacity is always an issue, right? :lookaroun

Tom

Beta Return
I agree that the Soarin' projection is dismal, at best. It's not even realistic in many scenes. I'm sure they just ran a couple copies of the original film for the DCA version, and it's not really a spring chicken anymore (not sure when it was built).

Digitizing it and cleaning it up will cost a fortune and take quite a while. For all we know, they're doing it now, but we won't know for a year. I'll let them finish Muppets first!

The only plus side to the crappy projection is the occasional spec of dust (black spot) on the screen. I can focus on it when I start to get urpy, which is often, and that helps me come back from the brink of nausea :)

Captain Hank

I agree that the Soarin' projection is dismal, at best. It's not even realistic in many scenes. I'm sure they just ran a couple copies of the original film for the DCA version, and it's not really a spring chicken anymore (not sure when it was built).
The film stock is actually cleaned and replaced relatively frequently. Perhaps not as frequently as many would like (including myself), but it's certainly not running the same film stock as when it opened. A big issue is that doing a film cleaning during the day causes a significant down time for the theater, leading to longer lines and even more complaints.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The biggest quality issue is not the film itself, but dust and dirt in the projection area falling on the film and lens itself. There is a fan system which blows air across the surfaces in question to clear the specks off (why they suddenly shoot across the screen) that can only do so much. The area should be a dust free environment to begin with, as per IMAXcorp reccomendations.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'll admit I didn't focus on the film quality as much as I should have during my last trip, but I will say if they just gave the screen a good scrubbing that would help the attraction immensely. It's not as the screen gets a lot of dirt buildup from guests ala a line queue.....:shrug:

Tar Heel

Although it would be very expensive, a new HD screen for Soarin' would be pretty freakin' sweet. Let's call Jerry Jones and see if he could set something up.

Bluemoon

We love Soarin' and it is one of three must do rides when we are there. But with that said, you guys are right about the screen quailty.

The last three times we have been there (all in the last 6 months), there appears to be a hole in the left side of the screen about two thirds of the way up.

We will be there again in 2 weeks, just wondering if the hole will be there
too.

Funny how it is the little things I look for at the world.

raven

IThe only plus side to the crappy projection is the occasional spec of dust (black spot) on the screen. I can focus on it when I start to get urpy, which is often, and that helps me come back from the brink of nausea :)

The film stock is actually cleaned and replaced relatively frequently. Perhaps not as frequently as many would like (including myself), but it's certainly not running the same film stock as when it opened. A big issue is that doing a film cleaning during the day causes a significant down time for the theater, leading to longer lines and even more complaints.

I'll admit I didn't focus on the film quality as much as I should have during my last trip, but I will say if they just gave the screen a good scrubbing that would help the attraction immensely. It's not as the screen gets a lot of dirt buildup from guests ala a line queue.....:shrug:

As a person that dons climbing gear twice a year to assend the far reaches of the Soarin' theatres I can tell you that they are very dusty. 2 weeks ago we cleaned Theatre B and we will be cleaning Theatre A after the first of the year. With the movement of the ride and lack of air movement in each theatre, dust can collect very quickly. Fans and exhast fans will only stir up dust even more therefore they have been left out. The projector is pulled back into a room when not in operation to help protect it but it's mearly impossible for dust not to get to it. As for the screens I can tell you that they are in great shape. Each screen is made up of several metal perferated pannels ranging about 3'x6' each. It is not fabric. But the cleaning of the screens have to be done by matainence and not the cleaning crew. They are cleaned from a giant lift that stored in the pit just below the screen (look closely over the railing when you get off and you might see one off to the side). Unfortunately an IMAX digutal projector isn't around yet nor do I know if they would install them if they were. But film gets old when you run the show several times an hour, 365 days a year. It happens.

EPCOT Explorer

^ AWESOME stuff, Raven. Thanks for your intell. :)
Remember the same thing for Horizons so...Don't hate the player, hate the game?
:lookaroun :lol:

The thing was, that was never the main draw for it...I guess. That's my first Horizons memory, BTW. Being surrounded by imagery. All the Orange smells and Space scenes came later. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom