News Soarin’ Over California Returns!

SuddenStorm

Something about Soarin' Over California makes me feel really proud to be a Californian (I imagine it's @socalifornian 's favorite attraction)- this is the kind of California focused stuff the park needs. Just like how Lincoln succeeds in making you feel proud to be an American and strengthens the themes of Americana that Disneyland is rooted in.

Soarin' Over the World doesn't make me feel glad to be living on Earth... it just doesn't have the same spark. And an Aladdin trailer doesn't make me glad to be at Disneyland or anything.

socalifornian

Something about Soarin' Over California makes me feel really proud to be a Californian (I imagine it's @socalifornian 's favorite attraction)- this is the kind of California focused stuff the park needs. Just like how Lincoln succeeds in making you feel proud to be an American and strengthens the themes of Americana that Disneyland is rooted in.

Soarin' Over the World doesn't make me feel glad to be living on Earth... it just doesn't have the same spark. And an Aladdin trailer doesn't make me glad to be at Disneyland or anything.
No cg required for this amazing place 😎🌮🌁🏄🏻‍♂️🏂🏞🧗🏻‍♂️🌴🌲🌵🏰☀️

truecoat

I think some of the hate for World is getting a bit much, it’s still a good film, and I enjoy seeing it. That said, it does not fit in DCA. Grizzly Peak Airway is a small airport, it makes no sense to lift off from there for a trip around the globe. SOC is a much better fit, I think it should stay there, but Epcot needs to stick with SATW for the same reasons.

I thought you’re on a hang glider.

truecoat

The hang glider is CG.

You’re riding in one.

5AF50087-E7CE-40BB-AEEB-449885375874.jpeg

Practical Pig

SOC, with the dynamic original motion-programming, is a great simulation of actually hang-gliding over exemplary scenery showcasing the beauty and diversity of California landscapes. What could be more appropriate for DCA?

SOTW, with it's meh motion-programming, and it's inherent implausibility, and the extreme screen distortion of the architectural geometry of those various unnecessarily-included human monuments that result in an extreme strain on our ability to suspend the old disbelief ... well, there is a strong subjective argument to be made that SOC>SOTW. By a long shot. SOC just feels much more authentic.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

So glad that the original film is back!
:)

Far superior effort context wise, and that glorious musical score by Jerry Goldsmith...blasting full on from the theater sound system....as the Gods intended.

I am told the original scents are also back, as is the original motion programming.
Yeessss....!!!

Really hoping that this STAYS PUT for a while.
I'd love to see it again on a future visit.

I've said it before...I will say it again -

'Soarin Over California' plays at DCA.
'Soarin Around The World' plays at Epcot.

-

Last edited:

oo_nrb

I got to experience Soarin' Over California today, and it was amazing! A few technical items I noticed, for the detail-oriented in the crowd:

* The film has been cleaned up and digitized for the new projectors, and looks very crisp. The colors got a bit saturated in the conversion process, so it's a bit bright (most noticeable in the rafting scene and the desert).

* During the digitization process, they seemed to have zoomed and cropped a bit, as the action is a bit "closer" to you than it previously was.

* The digitization also resulted in the scene shifting back and forth a LOT. Think the jittering of the camera during the LA traffic scene, but in every scene. The result is the film isn't quite as smooth as it originally was. It was honestly distracting and jittery enough to give me a headache.

* The score and soundtrack were also remixed and boosted for the new audio system and it sounds PHENOMENAL. Hearing the Goldsmith score in this new mix was amazing.

* The orange scent smells like a different one than they previously used. This is a lot stronger. We noticed the scent as soon as we walked in the theatre.

* Having little things back like the load music, Patrick welcoming you back, the original safety video which says "over California"... it all just fits DCA and Grizzly Peak so much better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom