So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 20: The Final Frontier(Land) - An Invite Only All Stars Event!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Metroid Phobia
Naturally you can tell the spirit and love that comes from the writer for this franchise. While this aspect of the project has been hyped up for the last few rounds, while the scale of the Metroid infusion perhaps was reduced based on the restrictions of the prompt, this still delivered in a way that would blow the current version of the attraction out of the water.

Much of the ride embodies a more ominous tone compared to some of the other components of the land, and it's great to see that variety. Having never played the game (I know, I know) I don't have much to say about the accuracy other than I assume based on the writer this might as well be canon to the video game series. Nonetheless, solid effort all around!
Thank you!!

As far as accuracy goes this story is non-canon but is loosely based on different events. The Galactic Federation are definitely shady and have actualized the engineering of bio-weapons, including the cloning of Metroids, on multiple occasions.

In actuality, the Federation are the true villains of the saga; the Metroids are the real victims. They were created to be weapons, became sentient, then were perceived as a universal threat, and then exterminated.

Going back to the attraction, I took three “bosses” who never appear in the same game together, Flaahgra, Phantoon, and Omega Metroids, and placed them into the ride roughly where they also appear chronologically in their respective games. (Phantoon is the secret final boss in another game as well).

The ultra aggressive orange colored Metroids were my own creation for this attraction but Metroid species have been known to mutate under certain conditions. So the idea is not without precedent.

That was a very long winded way to say thank you! I’m really glad you enjoyed it and I hope it lived up to the hype!!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Having never played the game (I know, I know)
Metroid Fusion (Metroid 4) just launched for Nintendo Switch Online. It was originally a GameBoy Advance title, and can be completed in roughly 4-6 hours. The game also summarizes a lot of previous events in the main storyline so you can sort of get the gist of it without having played the first three titles. So if you wanted to try out a Metroid game before life gets way too busy, I recommend Fusion.

Plus Fusion is just amazing!! The atmosphere is genuinely unsettling and often terrifying.

PerGron

Super Smash Bros: Invasion
Creating an air-conditioned enclosed space was a smart move. As for the show itself, it felt like it captured the spirit of the game well. While I haven't really played a lot of these games myself, I have played Super Smash Bros and seen others do it as well. Having a variety of acrobatics, lasers, and pyrotechnics, combined with a multiverse spanning villain to control it all I think was a great way to encapsulate it.

And perhaps this goes back to the aesthetic choice for the font color, but reading these paragraphs was a chore on the eyes. I'm always a fan of detailed description, however I do feel that this one could have used a few images to support it, and thus much of the descriptive text could have been reduced in the process.
That’s totally fair, it was a concern that I had, but in the end I decided I wanted to go the more descriptive route to push myself in the writing department, especially where I knew it wasn’t going to be detailing each individual punch thrown and I wanted more of a write up.

It’s a bold strategy though, so we’ll see how it pays off

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay folks. I woke up with a migraine, so unfortunately I'm going to have to delay written feedback on my end. The results show will be going live tonight at 9:15PM Eastern/6:15 PM Pacific.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Sorry for the delay folks. I woke up with a migraine, so unfortunately I'm going to have to delay written feedback on my end. The results show will be going live tonight at 9:15PM Eastern/6:15 PM Pacific.
Hope you’re feeling better soon!!!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Before we get into the semi finals, I want to do a write up on the two people we just lost as well as the five still left in the game. With the semi finals now on the horizon, I think now is a good time to reflect on just how far everyone has come even if project ten was the end of the road for them. Everyone should be proud of how they played this season, but this final seven truly went above and beyond through some VERY challenging real life circumstances and unconventional game mechanics.

7th Place: @Brer Panther
8_img_3155_large.jpg

I'm really sad to see you ultimately not make the semi finals, but I hope you still hold your head high with just how far you were able to go. You beat the odds every step of the way through the pre-merge and when it came time for the post merge you really kicked it into high gear and delivered some of the best output of your entire Armchair Imagineering career. At the end of the day I truly think this is a "Lord of the Rings'd" situation for you as Nintendo was basically a road block. While I do wish you would have perhaps done a bit more research on your own to familiarize yourself with the IP, at the end of the day hitting a brick wall with a source material that's hard to wrap your head around has happened to the best of us. While I'm not sure when or if SYWTBAI will continue on this board, I do hope the praise you've gotten this season motivates you to keep going forward with your creative writing endeavors.

6th Place: @Dark PerGron

GlenCanyon.CGuerrero-18.jpg

PerGron's story is a little bit more muddy than just hitting a brick wall because of the IP. While Nintendo didn't help, it ultimately came down to an overall output on his end that he was taken down. I really do respect PerGron's arc this season though, and it's kind of a mirror of Brer Panther's in a way. In my mind there's absolutely no doubt that PerGron's greatest accomplishment came in the very first project with the Sci-Fi Frontierland. After that, I think a combination of knowing the target was on his back and not having great luck on a prompt to prompt basis for personal interest level he turned into a more lowkey player for most of the game.

On that end I actually think it's really impressive that PerGron managed to come in with one of THE biggest targets on his back and also come out guns blazing in the first project, and still manage to essentially coast through most of the season in stealth mode. The "dark" turn in his character arc and the rock wall stuff definitely added to his presence, but ultimately I think it's the sneaky way he took the target completely off his back that became the most impressive part of PerGron's game even.

And now, the final five (In alphabetical order)

@AceAstro
6dccfc1fdaf3fd128dd9b6f5c61d3da0.jpg

The Dead Speak! Ace has gone from dead in the water and literally stranded to having a big comeback within this last project. Throughout the game Ace has played much in the same style as PerGron...going in with a big target but keeping his output relatively lowkey. With that said, there have definitely been some major highlights in his game throughout the season that have earned him this spot. Ultimately I think the "Zombie" resurrection mixed with his F-Zero coaster was the real one-two punch his narrative needed. Going into the final five even though he's the only one to taste the defeat of elimination, Ace has emerged as one of the true contenders.

@monkey92514
d8csy1s-3346b516-ab70-4233-9d48-e57cd207ee39.gif

I think now that Brer Panther is gone, Monkey has inherited the underdog role. Throughout this season he's absolutely had some highs and lows. Some prompts have been roadblocks, others have been completely on his level and he's been able to really shine. Through everything though, one thing is clear with Monkey...he always puts in the effort. His concept art might not be the most flashy, his attraction write ups might not be the most hyper detailed, but on a project by project activity level Monkey has EASILY been one of the most consistent people in the brainstorming of the season.

Another cool thing about Monkey's game is that I feel like throughout the season he's managed to work one on one with more people than anyone else. Shannon on the Taylor Swift project, Brer Panther on Muppet Mountain, and the recent OSU team up on Star Fox are three big ones that come to mind. While I feel like most people have actively tried to outshine their teammates to a certain extent, I think Monkey has exhibited an innate ability to collaborate. Having conquered an illness and survived more nominations than anyone else, I definitely think Monkey now has a true shot at the crown if he can make it through one more round.

@Pi on my Cake
How-to-recognize-gaslighting.jpg

The man, the myth, the legend. Pi has truly played one of the most solid games of the season and in the process given us perhaps THE funniest moment the game has ever seen. On a social level I also think Pi has been a major force to be reckoned with all season long, and for my money has become the person at the very center of the game's social dynamics. I think Pi's mix of strong project output, light-hearted social moments, and active strategic positioning has built him up into the "Super Mario" of the final five. I don't think Pi is THE best at any of the categories it takes to win the game, but he might have the most balanced skillset of the final five.

@OSUPhantom
star-wars-meme.jpg

Coming into the season, OSU was definitely THE biggest question mark in my mind as well as the person I was straight up the most surprised that I was able to even cast to begin with. As has already been discussed, OSU has roots in the competitive Armchair Imagineering community that even predate this game, and he should truly be regarded as one of the forefathers of the genre. In this season, OSU put his reputation to the test and came out as perhaps an all time Legend within the game with this performance, no matter where he ultimately places. I think OSU has displayed a tremendous amount of skill at the brainstorming, has made social in-roads with pretty much everyone in the cast, and has come up with some of the most creative output of the game.

Heading into the final five, I definitely think OSU has the biggest "Legacy" factor out of anyone still in the game, and with his absolutely rock solid path to get to the semi finals I think he's going to be a hard one to beat if he does get to the end.

@Tegan pilots a chicken
original-660-1622662669-34.jpg

Tegan. Tegan, Tegan, Tegan. I honestly think throughout the season you've probably played THE most active and dominant game in its history. You've truly had your fingerprints all over each and every prompt, and have pretty much steamrolled through never getting nominated and earning the most PoMVPs of the season. I think it's safe to say that if this were Vegas, you would be the odds on favorite to take the crown. Having said that, I definitely am curious to see if just how dominant you were in the brainstorming, as well as some key strategic parts of your game you've yet to reveal are going to play a role in the final outcome. I absolutely think you should be looked at in the "Hero" category, but I think your presence was so larger than life that your win feeling like a foregone conclusion might actually be the only thing you have going against you on any kind of social level.

And now, let's move on to the penultimate project!

Season Twenty Semi Finals: Epcot's Magical Merry Nights
x720

For the semi finals, our focus once again shifts to Universal. Halloween Horror Nights has without a doubt defined themed entertainment for the holidays in a big, bold way. Disney, realizing that they can never truly compete with HHN due to their more family friend nature, has decided to go in another direction. For this project, you will be responsible for designing one component of an EPCOT Christmas celebration that will rival Halloween Horror Nights for immersive experiences.

The format will be a little different this time around. While brainstorming is still encouraged, this is also your chance to shine on an individual level as the people moving on to the final project will be hand picked based on their contributions. There will be no Project Leader, instead each of the final five will assume one role and one role only, with no collaboration allowed beyond brainstorming for how the individual parts will fit together as a whole. If your project feels out of place with the rest of the contributions, that is up to you to communicate to your team and get on the same page. Here are the following roles that are up for grabs.

Here's how the parts will be assigned. In your diary room, you must rank the assignments in order from most to least preferred. We'll do our best to give everyone their biggest priorities as we can, but I'm going to go ahead and assume the mazes will be the more popular things to work on so in the event of ties COIN FLIPS will be used. The Merry Meeting Place will essentially act as the "Scare Zone" of the event only filled with holiday cheer and character interactions instead of jumpscares. While the last category will likely be the least prefered, I will stress that it might give you the most impact over the flow of the rest of the project.

@Tegan pilots a chicken - Future World Maze
@Pi on my Cake - World Showcase Maze #1
@OSUPhantom - World Showcase Maze #2
@monkey92514 - The Merry Meeting Place
@AceAstro - Shopping/Dining/Entertainment/Marketing

All of these components should be compiled into a finalized project, and it is the responsibility of the team as a whole to make that happen. After everything is turned in the jury will each vote for the person they want to see move on to the final three and the majority vote will move on. Myself and Goofy will then make our selections live on the podcast. Good luck to all of the final five. It's been an amazing season so far, let's end it out with a bang! This project is due Wednesday, March 15th at 11:59PM Eastern/8:59PM Pacific.​

JokersWild

OK. I'm at work and waiting patiently for the Oscars to start, so I guess now is a good time to write this review. First and foremost I'd like to apologize for not posting any reviews past the first few rounds. I've been absent for a variety of reasons both involving and separate from the forum, but for simplicity we can just say that I was at the store.

UPDATE: Lol nevermind about those Oscars. Apparently the only way to watch it online is to either be home (missing the entire point of watching it online) or paying $70 to watch it on Hulu. So recaps it is!

Now. Onto the project. Before I get into the specifics, you guys came together really well to get this project done. Teamwork was great, and I think each of you landed on the IP that best suited your abilities and interests, even if you weren't all familiar with your IP. Presentation was fine. A google doc, while perhaps a bit too simple, was a perfectly fine way to present your project. I know some people had issues with your font and background color choice, but I don't have any issues with it.

I like the thematic through-line your land has. The land getting progressively darker is a pretty cool concept and I think you conveyed it really well. The only thing that sticks out to me is F-Zero's layout. It's not really your fault since @TheOriginalTiki and @goofyyukyuk forced you to include it, but it takes over a bit too much of the skyline for me. I love the idea of it going over the lagoon, but the lagoon is just a bit too small for the coaster to not overtake it. Anyway, onto the attractions.

Super Smash Bros.: Invasion was a lot of fun, but suffers from a bit of an identity problem. It was a great idea to convert the theater into an indoor one, especially for such an effects-heavy show. The story was a little bloated and complicated. I liked the concept, but find it largely unnecessary. It's fun, but I don't think a Smash Bros show really needs a villain outside of Master Hand, or maybe the enemies used in Brawl's story mode, though I totally understand that you're not super familiar with the IP. The show starts out with a really interesting, oppressive atmosphere that I feel just doesn't quite fit the property or the characters. All I could think of when reading the reveal of the crated Mario Kart items was Mario being added to the 1984 Apple commercial.

What you did do well was capture the feeling of a dramatized round of Smash Bros. The fights feel like Smash Bros. and I love how dangerous the Smash Ball feels. I love the number of worlds we visit. Practically I'm not sure how that would be achieved in such a short amount of time, but it seems like it would be a great sequence, especially with the addition of live puppetry. I also love the final fight and the focus on the original Smash Bros. characters. The idea of incorporating multiple endings is fantastic and a great way to get people to see the show multiple times. The sequel sting is a bit weird for a stage show. I like it as a way to incorporate some villains, but it's still a bit weird to me.

All in all I think the good outweighs the bad. The feeling of Smash Bros. is absolutely present and conveyed very well, and I love the characters you chose to feature. I just think it got bogged down by your story. And totally a personal thing, but I would have loved to have seen a giant Master Hand puppet during the climax. The show already has puppetry and theres precedence for large-scale stage puppetry that it's realistic enough. Despite my problems with the story this was a fantastic show and a pretty great project to go out on.

Metroid: Phobia was a fantastic passion project. I was very excited to read it when seeing how excited Tegan about it. While not your best attraction, your passion and knowledge for the IP absolutely shows. When reading the brainstorming I was a little concerned that you'd get caught up in canon and timelines. While I think you did get a stuck in the story, the overall attraction is still great and a fantastic introduction to Metroid.

I think my biggest, and really only, issue with this attraction is the overly plausible story. I'm sure that sounds weird but hear me out. I don't think a Metroid ride needs this much story. As a Metroid fan, but not one that knows every story beat, I don't want to see the Galactic Federation - I want to see the iconic characters like Samus (obviously lol) Ridley, Kraid, and Mother Brain. I don't think we need an explanation as to why we're a part of the story. A simpler story would have been more effective here, I think. Get in an elevator (if you wanted to keep that effect it totally could have been rethemed to look like the ones in Prime) and open up into a cave system on some strange planet. Bring the intense danger and oppressive atmosphere of the ride to the queue, y'know? One more sidenote - I could be wrong since it's been a few days since I read your portion of the project, but not featuring Samus' ship was a HUGE missed opportunity. The sunken area in the queue (the current MIB reception room) would have been a perfect place to feature that.

Story issues aside, I love the focus on horror here. Metroid is one of those properties that could absolutely be scarier than it normally is. When playing the game you constantly feel in danger, lost and weak while trying to make just that little bit of progress. You captured that spirit flawlessly. That being said, I think you it went a bit too dark at some points. Colonel Wilson's death specifically comes to mind. It's a cool visual, but I don't think it would fly in a theme park. Assuming Nintendo would even approve it in the first place haha. Despite that, of all the attractions this project, I think you captured the spirit of your property the best. This really feels like Metroid, and seems like it'd be a fantastic way to introduce some of the characters and get people into the franchise. I think Goofy mentioned being disappointed at the lack of dueling, but I personally prefer it. It's great for MIB, but i think Metroid is stronger if you feel alone in the world, especially to sell the horror of it.

All in all, another great attraction flawed only really because of its story. I think if you focused more on the world and the "gameplay" of the attraction you could have knocked it out of the park.

Star Fox: Defense of Lylat was a lot of fun. This ride seems the closest to the source material, however I don't think it feels quite like Star Fox as much as the other attractions feel like their property. The tone is there, and it was great seeing, like, every Star Fox character, and the actual ride is a lot of fun, but I was left wanting a little more.

First and foremost, I was a little confused about the queue. Is it the same as The Simpsons Ride's current queue? There's mention of preshows, but the actual queue is kind of glossed over. I was also a little confused about the ride vehicles. What do they look like? Are they the same as they are currently, but with a Star Fox design? I would have loved to have gotten some details in the practical setup outside of the story exposition.

The actual ride is great. I love the randomized scenes - it mimics the games and entices people to ride multiple times. The visuals are all great and the sequences all seem like a lot of fun. Honestly, I wonder if this attraction could benefit from AR. I think the thing really missing for me is the iconic Star Fox HUD and some sort of interactivity. Adapting the attraction to be a bit more personal (perhaps by getting rid of the Omnimax screen and using AR and some light shooting elements could help set it over the edge. You guys were allowed to change anything from the current attraction - I would have loved to see you do something with that power.

Really, I had a lot of fun reading this. You guys captured the tone very well and it's a great Star Fox adaptation. I think I just wanted a little bit more to make this truly great. Corneria Confections was a really fun addition as well. Great job!

Luma Lookaround is a really charming flatride. You captured the serenity and beauty of Super Mario Galaxy really well, and this seems like a great addition for families. I don't have too much else to say about it, but really great job adapting such a simple attraction. Also, great art, @monkey92514. Please make more art.

Pikmin Treasure Collector was fine. I don't have a ton to say about this either. I wish there was more thought given to it, and that the game felt more Pikmin...y but what you have sounds fine.

Earthbound: Super Saturn Rescue was real good. As I mentioned in your team PM, I am a huge Mother/ Earthbound fan, and apparently the resident Mother/ Earthbound fan on the board. At the beginning of the project, the first person who came to my mind to write it was @Pi on my Cake so I was very happy to see you step up to the challenge. The Mother games have a very distinct style of writing and humor that I think is write up Pi's alley and pretty similar to your comedic voice.

Saturn Valley was absolutely the right choice for the facade and surrounding area. It perfectly encapsulates the vibe of Earthbound, and is probably the most accessibly Sci-Fi setting in the game. And you captured it really well. The ladders, the buildings, everything worked so well to really sell the weirdness of Saturn Valley. Of course, there are a few inaccuracies, but I can't fault you since you were so unfamiliar with the property. Starmen for example, despite their design, are living beings so it's kind of like putting a skeleton or a corpse at the entrance to your attraction.

Everything else is perfect. I love the inclusion of Milky Well, the integration of the Earthbound party is great, and the story is perfectly low stakes for such a small attraction. I'm going to stop because I'm just going to start dissecting details and I don't want to do that, just as I'm sure you all don't want to read that. Point being, I really enjoyed this ride. It captures the spirit of the IP really well, even more impressive when remembering that you came into this with no real knowledge of the Earthbound. Great job!

Last one. Please give me your strength.

F-Zero: GX Racers is a fantastic Universal coaster. While I don't like the footprint and placement, I still really like the ride as a ride. Just like the games, the set up is short and simple, putting guests right into the world and ready to race. I love the ride system you chose. I've never heard of it, but it fits F-Zero like a glove and seems almost tailor made to it. I'm not sure the testing section of the attraction was really necessary, but I understand it from the perspective of trying to make the attraction longer or more than just an outdoor launch coaster. The surprise dueling element is a fantastic wow moment, and I could see it quickly becoming an iconic moment.

The actual coaster looks great. I don't have a ton to say about it, but it looks like a great dueling coaster with some fun elements. Really captures the spirit of F-Zero well. I like the idea of AR integration, but I'm not sure how necessary it is. I don't think motion sickness would be too much of a problem, but I'm not sure if it really needs another immersive element when you already have the F-Zero cars and track featured and visible throughout the ride. if any ride here should get AR, I'd give it to Star Fox.

Falcon House is another great dining option. Since they were all separate, I didn't realize your shops and restaurants were in the same complex until I saw the map. Not a huge deal, but worth mentioning.

I'm gonna make this quick because I've already written a book of a review, but really great job, guys. Each one of you came out with some great attractions and shows that captured the feeling of each game exceptionally well. To @Dark PerGron and @Brer Panther I'm sorry to see you both go. To @Brer Panther specifically, this season was seriously the best game you've ever played. Keep it up!

Thanks for reading and I'm excited to see how the rest of the season plays out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom