So, You Want to be an Imagineer - Season 19 Hype Thread

D Hulk

At least I got good material for if I ever go into stand-up.

Though speaking of bad trips:

Question of the Week
What was the worst trip/vacation that you ever did?
I used to run with this tight group of friends from work. We loved traveling the world together and getting into wild adventures. I think this all started with an outing in New York City, where everyone says I turned into this great big party animal and I pretty much singlehandedly saved the outing.

So we kept on assembling for trips like this for a while, with the whole squad enabling me to party as hard as possible. Things went too far on an excursion into Africa, where I totally lost control and caused a lot of damage. I wanted to go straight and set my life in order after that, but my so-called friends almost immediately organized another wild bender of a trip, this one to Eastern Europe. Reluctantly I went with them, hoping to get some quiet time alone to explore some beautiful old world churches. But my girlfriend at the time betrayed me, caused me to slip up, and I once again went into full party monster mode.

I have only the vaguest memories of what happened next. I think I got into some street brawls with the locals? I was so out-of-it, it felt like the whole city was floating! Eventually I stormed off in a rage - you wouldnā€™t like me when Iā€™m angry - and I stole my buddiesā€™ ride. This sounds so petty now! I drove as far as possible, abandoned the vehicle, and kept on going.

I mustā€™ve entered some sort of fugue state around this time. When I came to, I found myself working as some sort of underground MMA fighter in this lawless backcountry place. One of my former workplace friends - the really weak, pathetic one who no one much cared for - amazingly he managed to track me down and help me start to mentally recover from my rampage.

I donā€™t think he was really my friend though. He said heā€™d take me home, but instead we just went back to his familyā€™s place so he could pick a fight with his older sister. Thatā€™s so wrong on so many levels! His sister sicced her dog on me! Things then got out-of-control, and my friend wound up burning down his whole house!

Things got even worse after that, but I hate facing those memories. Letā€™s just say that Iā€™ve come to terms with the monster that I used to be.

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
I used to run with this tight group of friends from work. We loved traveling the world together and getting into wild adventures. I think this all started with an outing in New York City, where everyone says I turned into this great big party animal and I pretty much singlehandedly saved the outing.

So we kept on assembling for trips like this for a while, with the whole squad enabling me to party as hard as possible. Things went too far on an excursion into Africa, where I totally lost control and caused a lot of damage. I wanted to go straight and set my life in order after that, but my so-called friends almost immediately organized another wild bender of a trip, this one to Eastern Europe. Reluctantly I went with them, hoping to get some quiet time alone to explore some beautiful old world churches. But my girlfriend at the time betrayed me, caused me to slip up, and I once again went into full party monster mode.

I have only the vaguest memories of what happened next. I think I got into some street brawls with the locals? I was so out-of-it, it felt like the whole city was floating! Eventually I stormed off in a rage - you wouldnā€™t like me when Iā€™m angry - and I stole my buddiesā€™ ride. This sounds so petty now! I drove as far as possible, abandoned the vehicle, and kept on going.

I mustā€™ve entered some sort of fugue state around this time. When I came to, I found myself working as some sort of underground MMA fighter in this lawless backcountry place. One of my former workplace friends - the really weak, pathetic one who no one much cared for - amazingly he managed to track me down and help me start to mentally recover from my rampage.

I donā€™t think he was really my friend though. He said heā€™d take me home, but instead we just went back to his familyā€™s place so he could pick a fight with his older sister. Thatā€™s so wrong on so many levels! His sister sicced her dog on me! Things then got out-of-control, and my friend wound up burning down his whole house!

Things got even worse after that, but I hate facing those memories. Letā€™s just say that Iā€™ve come to terms with the monster that I used to be.
About halfway through reading this I went ā€œWait a secondā€¦.ā€

TwilightZone

This is like 4 movies in one story

TheOriginalTiki

Qu
Weekend road trip to Magic Mountain with my dad, brother, and ex-girlfriend. Totally a Murphy's Law sort of experience. long story short because of my girlfriend getting sick from the climate change, the exhausting heat, and the intense crowds, I was only ever able to get on Viper, Revolution, Colossus, Riddler's Revenger, and Batman the whole day. (Basically anything that didn't have a line, so none of the headliners) This was before stuff like Twisted Colossus and Full Throttle were around, but it was the first trip where I had worked up the nerve to ride Tatsu and alas it didn't happen. Pulling out of the parking lot seeing stuff like Tatsu and X2 just looming there without me having gotten on them was genuinely heartbreaking.

TheOriginalTiki

I also remember buying a ton of edibles for the trip I didn't get around to eating, which my ex later just completely scarfed down with a couple of her friends without me knowing. And my dad almost got us in a wreck due to road rage from taking a wrong turn. (His road rage is more at himself. He gets INCREDIBLY flustered the second he doesn't know exactly where he's going) And we stopped at Pea Soup Anderson's and I had an INTENSE alergic reaction to it for some reason. And my ex and I had a huge fight when we got back over me being "self centered" about the coasters I hadn't gotten on. It was NOT a great relationship, but that trip really was one of those horror story vacations that full on breaks up a couple haha.

JokersWild

Original Poster
I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve been on any ā€œbadā€ vacations. The only one that comes to mind is my familyā€™s cross country road trip to fabulous Murfreesboro, Arkansas, which is essentially a patch of dirt in the middle of the desert in which you can mine diamonds. It was hot and otherwise generally terrible. The rest of the trip was great though. We went to a few theme parks that technically donā€™t exist anymore (Paramountā€™s Kingā€™s Dominion and Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom specifically) and literally everywhere that wasnā€™t Murfreesboro, Arkansas was great.

TheOriginalTiki

I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve been on any ā€œbadā€ vacations. The only one that comes to mind is my familyā€™s cross country road trip to fabulous Murfreesboro, Arkansas, which is essentially a patch of dirt in the middle of the desert in which you can mine diamonds. It was hot and otherwise generally terrible. The rest of the trip was great though. We went to a few theme parks that technically donā€™t exist anymore (Paramountā€™s Kingā€™s Dominion and Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom specifically) and literally everywhere that wasnā€™t Murfreesboro, Arkansas was great.
I do remember our one IRL meet-up to be particularly wonky. It pretty much started with having to get evaced off of both Radiator Springs Racers and Pinocchio in the course of a couple hours. Not that I'm complaining about that haha. I was having a really hard time with the summer heat that trip so all I really remember about the whole time was the fact that I didn't get to spend nearly as much time with you as I would have wanted and I ended up crashing in my hotel for like a full half of one of my park days. I also remember this was the trip with the harrowing 4AM I-Hop excursion that devolved into a woman stumbling out of the bathroom and proceeding to sit at the table across from me and shoot DAGGERS my direction the whole time. One of the very few times I was actually worried about getting robbed on vacation since I typically stick to highly populated tourist-y areas. I think the first night at my hotel I just straight up didn't sleep at all because of the adreneline so that's why I ended up at an I-Hop at four in the morning. If you ever find yourself on Harbor Blvd and contemplating a pre-6AM I-Hop meal...just don't :p

JokersWild

Original Poster
I do remember our one IRL meet-up to be particularly wonky. It pretty much started with having to get evaced off of both Radiator Springs Racers and Pinocchio in the course of a couple hours. Not that I'm complaining about that haha. I was having a really hard time with the summer heat that trip so all I really remember about the whole time was the fact that I didn't get to spend nearly as much time with you as I would have wanted and I ended up crashing in my hotel for like a full half of one of my park days. I also remember this was the trip with the harrowing 4AM I-Hop excursion that devolved into a woman stumbling out of the bathroom and proceeding to sit at the table across from me and shoot DAGGERS my direction the whole time. One of the very few times I was actually worried about getting robbed on vacation since I typically stick to highly populated tourist-y areas. I think the first night at my hotel I just straight up didn't sleep at all because of the adreneline so that's why I ended up at an I-Hop at four in the morning. If you ever find yourself on Harbor Blvd and contemplating a pre-6AM I-Hop meal...just don't :p
That RSR/ Pinocchio evac situation was one of the highlights for that trip for me. To this day they were the only times Iā€™ve been evacuated from an attraction anywhere so to have both happen within like four hours of each other makes it even more bizarre. That and being able to walk the length of the outdoor section of RSR was a really unique experience. Pinocchio was just cool to see with the lights on.

PerGron

Question of the Week
My most recent trip to Chicago. Hands down.

Not only did I get my laptop, AirPods, all of my pictures from Brookfield Zoo (I left my SD card in the laptop accidentally) and car keys stolen (they were in my laptop case since my car was back at the airport in Maine), but I also spent 3/4 of a day in Chinatown at my friendā€™s fiancĆ©ā€™s behest because he wanted BBQ pork buns, causing us to get lost and late for visiting the museum. In the end we only got 2 hours at the Field Museum where I paid for a full day all for some pork buns that were just okay, not worth losing money over.

Then I went to Shedd Aquarium which honestly made me really sad to see. Obviously Iā€™m an unabashed apologist for the likes of SeaWorld, and while Shedd is a phenomenal aquarium when it comes to their fish and smaller exhibits, their exhibits for sea lions and belugas were way too small and was the first time in a long time Iā€™ve been disgusted by a zoo or aquarium (last one was ZooAmerica at Hershey Park back in 2012 or so).

Brookfield and Lincoln Park Zoo were phenomenal and I was happy to see my friend again and meet her fiancĆ©e finally after years of them dating, but it wasnā€™t worth getting robbed, having my views on aquariums challenged, and losing around $30 when you take away the time we missed. Plus, I got a 1 star passenger review from one of our Lyft drivers because our ā€œhotel was too far from where we were picked upā€ (about a 12 minute drive and I tip very very well)

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen šŸ’œ
Premium Member

Question of the Week
Not so much a vacation, but I used to do a lot of touring in a couple bands that I was in. Generally through the Great Lakes region, and the Northeastern US. Basically our territory was southern Michigan, down to Cincinnati, over to Virginia, up to Connecticut, and everything inside that rectangle of sorts, plus Chicago and the Twin Cities area.

Well one time we ventured out into the deep Midwest. We did this run that included Indianapolis, St Louis, Kansas City, Topeka, Tulsa, and Louisville,ā€¦.and it went TERRIBLY!!! Admittedly a lot of this was my fault because I really wanted to expand our touring territory further but we really werenā€™t quite ready for that yet, and meanwhile we had a seriously great thing going in the areas that we usually went to. Almost every show on this run was a dud, the venues were ranged from strange to scary, we barely sold any merch, we lost a ton of money, we got into a bunch of arguments, and eventually that band broke up.

This was the only tour I ever did that didnā€™t involve being able to go to Sheetz and I think that was the real problem.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen šŸ’œ
Premium Member

First Half GIF

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen šŸ’œ
Premium Member
Itā€™s Arkansas. What did they expect?! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen šŸ’œ
Premium Member
My most recent trip to Chicago. Hands down.

Not only did I get my laptop, AirPods, all of my pictures from Brookfield Zoo (I left my SD card in the laptop accidentally) and car keys stolen (they were in my laptop case since my car was back at the airport in Maine), but I also spent 3/4 of a day in Chinatown at my friendā€™s fiancĆ©ā€™s behest because he wanted BBQ pork buns, causing us to get lost and late for visiting the museum. In the end we only got 2 hours at the Field Museum where I paid for a full day all for some pork buns that were just okay, not worth losing money over.

Then I went to Shedd Aquarium which honestly made me really sad to see. Obviously Iā€™m an unabashed apologist for the likes of SeaWorld, and while Shedd is a phenomenal aquarium when it comes to their fish and smaller exhibits, their exhibits for sea lions and belugas were way too small and was the first time in a long time Iā€™ve been disgusted by a zoo or aquarium (last one was ZooAmerica at Hershey Park back in 2012 or so).

Brookfield and Lincoln Park Zoo were phenomenal and I was happy to see my friend again and meet her fiancĆ©e finally after years of them dating, but it wasnā€™t worth getting robbed, having my views on aquariums challenged, and losing around $30 when you take away the time we missed. Plus, I got a 1 star passenger review from one of our Lyft drivers because our ā€œhotel was too far from where we were picked upā€ (about a 12 minute drive and I tip very very well)
I want to hug you. Iā€™m so so sorry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom