So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

mickeyfan5534

It'll never happen, but I'd love to see what Disney could do with a Hobbit movie entirely disconnected from Jackson's cinematic universe. Not a fairy tale, but I honestly think an animated musical adaptation of The Great Gatsby would also be something I'd love to see them take on.
TBH, I think that The Great Gatsby is 100% a fairytale. So much of it screams a very subdued modernist version of one of those really weird fairytales from Eastern Europe where the protagonist journeys into a different world.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
TBH, I think that The Great Gatsby is 100% a fairytale. So much of it screams a very subdued modernist version of one of those really weird fairytales from Eastern Europe where the protagonist journeys into a different world.

You hit the nail on the head on why I think it would work as a more adult-orientated, "Up" style Disney movie. I think the story would be freaking perfect for that ever-elusive Paperman technology.

DisneyManOne

Question of the Day
What is a fairy tale Disney has yet to adapt that you'd like to see done?

EDIT: Also, next hint avi is up
Well, I already laid out a pitch for a potential Disney adaptation of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses", but as for a more off-the-wall type story...this is gonna sound crazy, but I'd love to see what they could do with Dracula. What caused me to think this? Well, when Neil Sharpson (aka the Unshaved Mouse) began his review of The Hunchback of Notre Dame II, he had this to say:

"It’s not what you do, it’s how you do it. Execution is more important than concept.​
Consider Disney’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Doing Victor Hugo’s classic melodrama as an animated Disney musical is an objectively terrible idea. Awful. Comedically bad. You would have to really sit down and think to come up with a classic novel less suited to the genre. Dracula has more potential as a Renaissance Disney movie than Hunchback (Magical villain with a cape and animal sidekicks, heroine who yearns for more than her safe, stale existence, funny comedy relief foreigner and a happy ending, what more do you want?)."​

This could easily be a really dark film, similar to Hunchback. If Disney really leans in to the whole horror aspect, yet still maintains some tone of lightness, it could be really cool. Like @TheOriginalTiki said about a Disney adaptation of The Great Gatsby being more for adults, a la Up, Dracula could be a unique change of pace for the Disney canon.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Finally, I’d love to see Disney do Anansi the Spider. American audiences get so little reference for African folktales and culture that I think taking their most iconic character and making a movie for him would help solve that problem and teach people about African cultures and show them there’s more to Sub-Saharan Africa than savannah and elephants
Teeeeccccchhhhhnnnnicalllyyyyyyyyy Disney kinda hassssss. Brer Rabbit has his roots in the tales of Anansi and might have been just an adaptation by slaves of the tales using local wildlife.

But an actual Anansi adaptation would be amazing! Or a better Brer adaptation that is based on the actual folklore and not The Harris novel.

an animated musical adaptation of The Great Gatsby would also be something I'd love to see them take on.

I never knew this was something I wanted and now it is all I want lol

Question of the Day

Icarus! I would love to see Disney take another stab at Greek myths. Hercules covered the Olympians and gods and all, but there is so much more to Greek myths than Zeus and Hades.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Teeeeccccchhhhhnnnnicalllyyyyyyyyy Disney kinda hassssss. Brer Rabbit has his roots in the tales of Anansi and might have been just an adaptation by slaves of the tales using local wildlife.

But an actual Anansi adaptation would be amazing! Or a better Brer adaptation that is based on the actual folklore and not The Harris novel.

I never knew this was something I wanted and now it is all I want lol

Icarus! I would love to see Disney take another stab at Greek myths. Hercules covered the Olympians and gods and all, but there is so much more to Greek myths than Zeus and Hades.

While it does involve Hades, Imma still drop this riiiiiiight here ;)

eva-noblezada-andre-de-shields-and-reeve-carney-star-in-143864.jpg

74849d9231ee90d346798856dca5d6c1.png

mickeyfan5534

This could easily be a really dark film, similar to Hunchback. If Disney really leans in to the whole horror aspect, yet still maintains some tone of lightness, it could be really cool. Like @TheOriginalTiki said about a Disney adaptation of The Great Gatsby being more for adults, a la Up, Dracula could be a unique change of pace for the Disney canon.
I'd love to see Disney's take on vampire folklore in general. Especially if they go somewhere really unique and different in the style choices. The perfect set up for a return to form for a classic villain, strong protagonists are inherent to the genre, and room for going much darker than you typically could.
Where is Disney's The Odyssey?

I've been following Hadestown since it was a pipe dream of a concept album so this? Yes. Not to mention the fact that Orpheus and Eurydice is easily one of the most grounded Greek myths to begin with despite having Hades and Persephone as major characters.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Hhhmmm...dare I suggest Jesus Christ Superstar? That has the benefit of being forever culturally relevant, with a built in amazing soundtrack and Hamilton upside when it comes to the dynamic between the two leads, and most importantly has been adapted in so many different ways that they can do pretty much anything with it visually.

mickeyfan5534

Hhhmmm...dare I suggest Jesus Christ Superstar? That has the benefit of being forever culturally relevant, with a built in amazing soundtrack and Hamilton upside when it comes to the dynamic between the two leads, and most importantly has been adapted in so many different ways that they can do pretty much anything with it visually.
Moving away from the fairytale prompt there lol

DisneyManOne

This. A hundred times this. I've always believed that if one was to adapt Hamilton or Hadestown to film, it needs to be animated.

Truth be told, I've actually been thinking of ways to adapt Hadestown to animation. The biggest thing I have right now is having a live-action framing sequence where the story is told around a campfire, and the storyteller becomes Hermes (I'm still torn on whether or not the listeners play the other characters, or having other people voice the characters). Just imagine the camera diving straight into the fire, transitioning into the animated story.

Plus, think of how effective the ending could be. After the storyteller reprises "Road to Hell (Reprise)", everyone is rather shaken by how sad the story has ended and trudge off. However, they are stopped by one of the female listeners, who has remained at the fire, and who starts to sing unaccompanied: "Pour the wine and raise the cup / Drink up, brothers, you know how..." Her song gradually spreads to the other listeners and the storyteller, who join her in a toast "to Orpheus and all of us." As the song grows, so too does the musical accompaniment. And I'm debating on whether or not it would be cheesy to see the animated faces of Orpheus, Eurydice, Persephone and Hades watching them sing with pride, but it would be a nice touch, wouldn't you say? And the film ends with the singer addressing her fellow listeners--and us--with "Goodnight, brothers, goodnight". The camera pans down, and the fire tapers out.

TwilightZone

Question of the Day

A proper retelling of chicken little or the nutcracker would be great, but if that doesn't count a story about the monkey's paw would be cool. Or you could use "boy who cried wolf" to cheat with chicken little. There's also one called the bird of truth that just sounds interesting by name alone.

DisneyManOne

Regarding this week's prompt, I wonder how you guys would personally handle the changes to the area surrounding a re-themed Splash Mountain. Being more familiar with WDW myself, I decided to offer thoughts on what I'd do with bringing New Orleans to the streets of Frontierland.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Question of the Day
What is the best parks commercial?
and why is it the DLP duckling commercial
Simply for nostalgia reasons, the one for the Year of a Million Dreams. That song was part of my childhood (not to mention, was also used for Disneyland Paris' 15th Anniversary):

I see the DLP Duckling commercial and raise you this. Speak-singing while staying on-beat? Come on.

mickeyfan5534

Simply for nostalgia reasons, the one for the Year of a Million Dreams. That song was part of my childhood (not to mention, was also used for Disneyland Paris' 15th Anniversary):

I see the DLP Duckling commercial and raise you this. Speak-singing while staying on-beat? Come on.

Are You Brave Enough, on top of being a bop, was an awesome commercial

DisneyManOne

Question of the Day
What is the best parks commercial?
and why is it the DLP duckling commercial
So many good candidates, in my opinion. Here's my Top 5.

5. "Walking"

4. "The Magic That Moves the World"

3. "The Little Duck"

2. "Share a Dream"

1. "Catch It"

Honorable Mentions: "Voice of Experience", "Anticipation", "Wake-Up Call", "50th Anniversary Homecoming" / "Toon Takeover", "Park Hopper", and the Buzz Lightyear commercials from when DCA first opened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom