So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

NateD1226

What do you guys think of this idea? Twitter user @FreddyFromBatuu came up with this idea for a re-theming of Disneyland's Splash Mountain into a ride based on The Princess and the Frog. The idea of having the focus of Splash Mountain shift from Song of the South to The Princess and the Frog is an idea that's been knocked around a few times, but I think it would be an incredible experience. And frankly, given what's been happening in this world, I think we can all agree that a ride based on a very problematic, racist film just doesn't have a place in the modern park experience anymore.

I love this idea so much. I may be a little biased since PATF is one of my favorite movies but I would totally want to see it. I even signed the petition that's going around lol.

Outbound

Question of the Day
What is your favorite adult joke in a kids cartoon show?

Not a show but Toy Story 1 is a gold mine for those.

B6A88322-941E-4260-8EBF-7CAABA159FF2.gif

Suchomimus

a ride based on a very problematic, racist film
I have a couple of rebuttals as for one; the character of Uncle Remus as well as the tales he told were published in the 1880s; and for another, the reason for the movie being labeled as racist is because it was said to portray "a fantasized version of African American slavery" but the movie is supposed to be set during Reconstruction and doesn't have a specific date mentioned. But then comes the problem of not having a specific date mentioned.

NigelChanning

J.K Rowling isn’t a stranger to coming up with characters and character traits to make her books seem more diverse. I guess making Hogwarts a primarily white school is coming back to bite her. I just find it funny that all of the white Harry Potter characters have such unique names (Hermione, Hagrid, Albus) and the best she could come up with for an Asian character is Cho Chang.

NigelChanning

I wonder how much Covid-19 will affect the opening of future attractions. I’m pretty sure that Ratatouille and Avengers Campus will still open in 2020 but I don’t know if Cosmic Rewind and Tron will still open by the 50th Anniversary.

Suchomimus

J.K Rowling isn’t a stranger to coming up with characters and character traits to make her books seem more diverse. I guess making Hogwarts a primarily white school is coming back to bite her. I just find it funny that all of the white Harry Potter characters have such unique names (Hermione, Hagrid, Albus) and the best she could come up with for an Asian character is Cho Chang.
That wasn’t what she wrote in her new piece. At all.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
As a fan of The Boy Who Lived, I keep expect her to come out with a camera and say "Gotcha bro" but she keeps making these comments.
We need a new J.K. Rowling.

Looks like it is time for another exciting round of "Where do we draw the line when it comes to ethically separating the art from the artist when the artist." I think Harry Potter as a franchise has grown well past the author, but she also refuses to let anything happen without her say so down to putting rules on what plastic silverware the theme parks can use. She is so tied to everything with the franchise, but the franchise has such a huge fanbase and love for it that I'd argue things completely detached from canon like Very Potter Musical or The Mysterious Ticking Noise are more important the Cursed Child or Fantastic Beasts in terms of the connection people have to this world. Heck, most people in their 20s treat their patronuses and Hogwarts Houses the way people in their 30s treated their Star Sign. In my brief time on Tinder I talked about those easily 80-90 percent of the time. It's all a tricky web to untangle and an interesting philospophical/pop culture debate.

NigelChanning

I’m a pretty big believer in the death of the author, so I’ll continue to enjoy everything created by her (not theme park related) before 2012. I refuse to consider her Twitter retcons canon.
I 100% agree. Some of the stuff that she tweeted was pretty weird. She once said that Hogwarts didn’t always have bathrooms and students just went to the bathroom and used magic to clean up the mess?!?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom