So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HUB THREAD

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Kirby's Dream Lanes feedback

This was probably the most deceptively simple prompt of the season, and if I'm being honest I'm a bit let-down that in many ways this team didn't get past the initial simplicity of the concept. Let's first talk the positives. I LOVE the actual IP choice. While I think Pee Wee's Playhouse would have offered up more creative potential overall, there's something very "cozy" feeling about a Kirby bowling alley that really works well and brings back some nostalgia to things like Kirby's Tilt N' Tumble and Kirby's Air Ride. My favorite Kirby games are always the weird experimental side games so this felt right in line with that.

Right off the bat, the castle theme and vivid colors work really well, both in a presentation point of view and from a kinetic standpoint when it comes to the actual write up. There's definitely a lot of clever touches. Kudos to the animations, the different bowling balls, the music, and the general layout. Where my problem with this project comes in, however, is the fact that there's no real stand-out features here that beyond ascetics you couldn't get at a regular bowling alley. I was really hoping for creative, different variations on the bowling game and it simply didn't happen. I understand there's less you could do with bowling than say mini-golf, but I'd still like to have seen at least an attempt to slightly spice up the main game.

Where the real disappointment comes in is the side stuff. The arcade, frankly, is nothing that can't be found at your average Disney resort arcade. HUGE missed opportunity to design a bunch of original Kirby themed off-shoots of classic arcade games. Kawasaki's was an inspired idea for the main dining, but the actual presentation it felt like a bit of an afterthought. Overall this whole project had a bit of a "filler" vibe to it OUTSIDE of the fantastic presentation. I'll admit team work has never been stronger and this was a very challenging prompt overall, but it's far from the best that Team Prospero has come up with.

Creativity: 8/10 - Great IP choice, but I wanted more done with it

Realism: 9/10

Detail: 8/10 - I feel like stuff like Kawasaki's and the arcade would have shined a lot more with more thought put into them as individual components.

Presentation: 10/10

Group Work: 9/10 - calling out @AceAstro for not putting his all into this because he knew @Outbound would use the Diamond PoMVP on him. Don't think I didn't notice :p

Total: 44/50

Sharon&Susan

Every member of Team Propero all did a good job on the last project, but I have one question:
Kirby.jpg

Last edited:

mickeyfan5534

Small feedback this week because I'm busy okay?

I liked it. It was fun and charming and well organized with some flaws like the lack of detail in the arcade and Chef Kawasaki's. Overall, a good project that was just a bit of filler before the semis.

Creativity - 9/10 - Kirby was inspired! Everyone's favorite friend shaped video game icon just makes sense for a bowling alley and the delightfully charming world is one you feel safe but adventurous in exploring.
Realism - 9/10 - I can really see something like this in CityWalk.
Detail - 8/10 - The real mood killer of the project. I wanted more on those extra elements like Chef Kawasaki's and the arcade.
Presentation - 10/10 - This team almost always kills it in the presentation area.
Team Work - 9/10 - @AceAstro you rested on your laurels and you're lucky @Outbound saved you but this brought you down.
Total - 45/50 - A nice, pleasant project between the absolutely killer Legends of Literature and the big One-Two Punch of Semis and Finals.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Small feedback this week because I'm busy okay?

I liked it. It was fun and charming and well organized with some flaws like the lack of detail in the arcade and Chef Kawasaki's. Overall, a good project that was just a bit of filler before the semis.

Creativity - 9/10 - Kirby was inspired! Everyone's favorite friend shaped video game icon just makes sense for a bowling alley and the delightfully charming world is one you feel safe but adventurous in exploring.
Realism - 9/10 - I can really see something like this in CityWalk.
Detail - 8/10 - The real mood killer of the project. I wanted more on those extra elements like Chef Kawasaki's and the arcade.
Presentation - 10/10 - This team almost always kills it in the presentation area.
Team Work - 9/10 - @AceAstro you rested on your laurels and you're lucky @Outbound saved you but this brought you down.
Total - 45/50 - A nice, pleasant project between the absolutely killer Legends of Literature and the big One-Two Punch of Semis and Finals.

Laaaaaaaaame! :p

Tux

TEAM PROSPERO

>
As for the creativity in this project, the choice of Kirby as the main focus piece for the project was absolutely excellent, even if some of the other IPs would have allowed for a bit more of a branch outwards creativity wise, but gosh, I really love the usage of Kirby in this project especially with the Nintendo deal being, well, a big deal, and I really do think it does live up to the spirit of Kirby as a franchise with the color palette really fitting in with most of the colors used in the actual games, and most of the theming throughout the facility being rather unique, like the themed bowling balls could be considered a small thing in the scale of the project, but it's just such a cool concept in my mind. The theming of the settings for the alley are all really fitting and are a perfect mix of fitting and fun. I love the references sprinkled throughout to certain games within the franchise which adds some extra flavor to the project overall. However, like everyone else has said, I do feel like this project could have been more creative in the end. For example, the arcade could have really been something special, but it just feels like mostly the standard bowling arcade with the exception of the VR which is unique, which while in concept is understandable, but I feel like this is just one of those things where it would be fairly realistic if you did go a bit crazier with it and it would still be worth what is being set up here.

> However, I will give you that the project is fairly realistic, especially with the main bowling parts as all of that does feel like parts of a bowling alley Universal would probably construct for Nintendo, especially with how it's all themed after Kirby and with all of the consideration put in towards the animations and all the little details, like the shoes, the lane designs, the screens, and the likes, as well as the exterior and it's theming. However, once again, due to the other areas of the project feeling more underwhelming, points are detracted. The arcade's most standout feature seems to be the VR Kirby interactions, which is fine, there's nothing wrong with that, but outside of that, there's not really much there, which doesn't feel like something Universal would just leave like that on a design standpoint because not only would a larger arcade leave a larger draw in the end, but they could also charge extra for it. Meanwhile, there's only one dining area, which don't get me wrong, for what it is, Chef Kawasaki's Hot Pot is great for what it's worth, it's very simple yet charming, but at the same time, the lack of any other dining options makes the place feel oddly empty in a way. It feels incomplete in a way simple because it just kind of feels empty, and I feel that if Universal were to build a Bowling Alley, while I don't expect them to make something extremely over-the-top amazing and complex in terms of design decisions, I feel like they would've added more content in the end simply because:
1597277221378.png

> As for the detail, I do wish the Arcade and Dining areas also got more detail to them in the end, as I definitely do feel as if both of them are lacking in certain areas. They don't really seem to feel rather connected with the rest of the prompt and it feels like most of the focus went straight to the Bowling Alley itself rather than to what makes up of a bowling alley. Like @TheOriginalTiki said, they just kind of feel like filler and as a result feel kind of unfinished/disconnected in some sort of way. There was a lot more that could have been done to make the bowling alley truly pop out, and it would've been fun to see more of a focus on some other details, like the construction and the 'why?'. The arcade could've definitely been stylized more to Kirby in the end, and by that I don't mean the theming of the room, the theming of the room was perfect, but, what I do mean are the games. Even just overlaying the games to feel more unique to Kirby would've gone a long way. Meanwhile, Chef Kawasaki's Hot Pot is fine, but I do wish that you guys would've gone more in-depth into it in the end. However, I will say, the bowling section was absolutely beautiful and there was a great amount of attention to detail in all the right places to kind of make it stand out more in the end which I loved. I loved minor things like the shoes and balls being Kirby themed, or the variations between the levels, or how they tied into the games.

> The presentation for this project was by far one of my favorite things about it. I love the usage of Wix as the website of choice, simply due to it's customizability and it's flexibility design wise. The website itself is very realistic looking and could easily pass for a real website for a large attraction at Universal. I loved the color palette used throughout the website due to how well it blends into said IP, and because said colors are just so pretty to look at. I love how the website is structured out so all areas of the project are easy to access to read through. I also really loved the opening paragraph to the presentation along with the video that came along with it all. All of the photos went along very nicely with the text while adding space between each paragraph and definitely helped to give an overall image to what everyone was going for. I also loved the ads scattered throughout the website as they're nice little tributes towards past projects and they make the website feel more alive in a way. The presentations are almost always consistently good throughout all of this team's projects and I hope that it stays this way!

> The group work for this round was also absolutely lovely as always, I loved reading through all of the pitches that were produced for the Bowling Alley concept since they were all so good and they all had equal amounts of potential. Group work has been something very consistent among this team also, which is something I'm quite happy with since communication is pretty huge thing when trying to finish said projects. Even if I do agree that this team should have stepped out of their comfort zone a bit more, I do think everyone did an excellent job contributing to this project. Once again, mostly everyone had a big hand in the final product of this project, and I did like most of the concepts that did come up in relation to the bowling alley segment of the, well, bowling alley. I'm excited to see what comes from everyone next, seeing how great everyone in this round was even with some of the other parts of the project not really being up to expectations, after all, it's not like the end results weren't delivered. Overall, great job working together on this one as I really loved most of your contributions even if some of them had some pretty glaring flaws IMO.

Creativity: 8/10
Realism: 8/10
Detail: 9/10
Group Work: 10/10

Total Score - 45/50

NateD1226

TEAM PROSPERO

>
As for the creativity in this project, the choice of Kirby as the main focus piece for the project was absolutely excellent, even if some of the other IPs would have allowed for a bit more of a branch outwards creativity wise, but gosh, I really love the usage of Kirby in this project especially with the Nintendo deal being, well, a big deal, and I really do think it does live up to the spirit of Kirby as a franchise with the color palette really fitting in with most of the colors used in the actual games, and most of the theming throughout the facility being rather unique, like the themed bowling balls could be considered a small thing in the scale of the project, but it's just such a cool concept in my mind. The theming of the settings for the alley are all really fitting and are a perfect mix of fitting and fun. I love the references sprinkled throughout to certain games within the franchise which adds some extra flavor to the project overall. However, like everyone else has said, I do feel like this project could have been more creative in the end. For example, the arcade could have really been something special, but it just feels like mostly the standard bowling arcade with the exception of the VR which is unique, which while in concept is understandable, but I feel like this is just one of those things where it would be fairly realistic if you did go a bit crazier with it and it would still be worth what is being set up here.

> However, I will give you that the project is fairly realistic, especially with the main bowling parts as all of that does feel like parts of a bowling alley Universal would probably construct for Nintendo, especially with how it's all themed after Kirby and with all of the consideration put in towards the animations and all the little details, like the shoes, the lane designs, the screens, and the likes, as well as the exterior and it's theming. However, once again, due to the other areas of the project feeling more underwhelming, points are detracted. The arcade's most standout feature seems to be the VR Kirby interactions, which is fine, there's nothing wrong with that, but outside of that, there's not really much there, which doesn't feel like something Universal would just leave like that on a design standpoint because not only would a larger arcade leave a larger draw in the end, but they could also charge extra for it. Meanwhile, there's only one dining area, which don't get me wrong, for what it is, Chef Kawasaki's Hot Pot is great for what it's worth, it's very simple yet charming, but at the same time, the lack of any other dining options makes the place feel oddly empty in a way. It feels incomplete in a way simple because it just kind of feels empty, and I feel that if Universal were to build a Bowling Alley, while I don't expect them to make something extremely over-the-top amazing and complex in terms of design decisions, I feel like they would've added more content in the end simply because:
View attachment 490451

> As for the detail, I do wish the Arcade and Dining areas also got more detail to them in the end, as I definitely do feel as if both of them are lacking in certain areas. They don't really seem to feel rather connected with the rest of the prompt and it feels like most of the focus went straight to the Bowling Alley itself rather than to what makes up of a bowling alley. Like @TheOriginalTiki said, they just kind of feel like filler and as a result feel kind of unfinished/disconnected in some sort of way. There was a lot more that could have been done to make the bowling alley truly pop out, and it would've been fun to see more of a focus on some other details, like the construction and the 'why?'. The arcade could've definitely been stylized more to Kirby in the end, and by that I don't mean the theming of the room, the theming of the room was perfect, but, what I do mean are the games. Even just overlaying the games to feel more unique to Kirby would've gone a long way. Meanwhile, Chef Kawasaki's Hot Pot is fine, but I do wish that you guys would've gone more in-depth into it in the end. However, I will say, the bowling section was absolutely beautiful and there was a great amount of attention to detail in all the right places to kind of make it stand out more in the end which I loved. I loved minor things like the shoes and balls being Kirby themed, or the variations between the levels, or how they tied into the games.

> The presentation for this project was by far one of my favorite things about it. I love the usage of Wix as the website of choice, simply due to it's customizability and it's flexibility design wise. The website itself is very realistic looking and could easily pass for a real website for a large attraction at Universal. I loved the color palette used throughout the website due to how well it blends into said IP, and because said colors are just so pretty to look at. I love how the website is structured out so all areas of the project are easy to access to read through. I also really loved the opening paragraph to the presentation along with the video that came along with it all. All of the photos went along very nicely with the text while adding space between each paragraph and definitely helped to give an overall image to what everyone was going for. I also loved the ads scattered throughout the website as they're nice little tributes towards past projects and they make the website feel more alive in a way. The presentations are almost always consistently good throughout all of this team's projects and I hope that it stays this way!

> The group work for this round was also absolutely lovely as always, I loved reading through all of the pitches that were produced for the Bowling Alley concept since they were all so good and they all had equal amounts of potential. Group work has been something very consistent among this team also, which is something I'm quite happy with since communication is pretty huge thing when trying to finish said projects. Even if I do agree that this team should have stepped out of their comfort zone a bit more, I do think everyone did an excellent job contributing to this project. Once again, mostly everyone had a big hand in the final product of this project, and I did like most of the concepts that did come up in relation to the bowling alley segment of the, well, bowling alley. I'm excited to see what comes from everyone next, seeing how great everyone in this round was even with some of the other parts of the project not really being up to expectations, after all, it's not like the end results weren't delivered. Overall, great job working together on this one as I really loved most of your contributions even if some of them had some pretty glaring flaws IMO.

Creativity: 8/10
Realism: 8/10
Group Work: 10/10

Total Score - 45/50
Great timing! ;)

spacemt354

Chili's
The Artist Review

Bold choice in The Artist by all that actually fits perfectly into DHS and Paris. DCA I can see as well but the two former locations I think are home runs for the IP chosen. I probably wouldn't have gone so niche, but I do recall the IP choice being a key factor for the main judges. I can't see The Artist not being a home run in that department and tying it again with the park choices was very impressive.

As for the attraction itself I like how everyone divided up the work (but from a selfish standpoint makes it even more difficult to choose someone to advance 😉 ) but the format and style of the presentation was great. The maps of the different locations was also a nice touch, especially the Sunset Blvd location, definitely could use an attraction there, especially one that calls back to the feel of The Great Movie Ride in a way which this attraction did for me.

Queue was very well done and especially the tech talk as well - It's nice to see how well things were thought out individually and as a group for this attraction. The ride through was concise yet detailed enough to get the full view. The ride-through video I think should have been placed either at the beginning or a separate link while reading. Putting it at the end I think would be the one improvement I'd make on this presentation, to me it felt like a tag on when the work and effort put into it should have been on prominent display. If I didn't see the video first in the brainstorming thread I would have thought it was merely a tack on element to the presentation rather than a stand-out nuanced piece.

In the end, this was a strong team finale to what has been a brilliant season (and year) so far of armchair imagineering on the forums. Congrats to all for the hard work and effort you've all put into this season. Your passion and fun is the main catalyst for why this season has been one of if not the best yet. Good luck to everyone in the finale!

Creativity: 10/10
Realism: 9/10
Presentation: 9.5/10
Teamwork: 10/10
-------------------------------
Total: 47.5/50

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom