So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HUB THREAD

AceAstro

Team Prospero Presents...

1595822474991.png

The Story's Just Begin

Theme Song:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
BIG thanks to everyone in the final nine for their contributions this time around. It's been a bit of a crazy week on my end so I haven't been following as much as I'd like to be. I'll definitely make a point to read through the entire brainstorming thread tomorrow. Expect feedback either VERY late tonight or early tomorrow morning on my end for the project itself. Podcast with @mickeyfan5534 featuring another LIVE elimination will be happening at 9PM Eastern/6PM Pacific tomorrow. You guys all ROCK and it's going to be another brutal one.

mickeyfan5534

Review time!

This project was an amazing steak slathered in ketchup. There's a lot I love here: The Story's Just Begun, the new parades, the new shows. That's the baseline of what I wanted out of this project. Honestly, it upset me that so many of you really didn't try stepping out of your comfort zone to attempt some entertainment writing and as a result, the new additions really felt like they overpowered what should have been the actual meat of the project: entertainment. I encouraged research into what Disneyland Paris has been doing lately with their entertainment and while I can see a bit of it, there wasn't a ton shown. I asked for a blowout and, yes there is some of it, but I wanted so much more. I think Toontown is the biggest culprit here. It's a fantastic project, but it felt far more in focus than it should have been in terms of detail and the rest of the project somewhat suffers for it. Discoveryland I will give some leniency to because it did feel less in focus. What I really wanted to see was how you could tie in classic events like Halloween and Christmas and create new ones of the likes of Festival of Pirates and Princesses and Festival of the Jungle. How much of this had to do with time, how much had to with comfort, and how much had to do with whatever else, I don't know.
Additionally, I felt like the little things weren't present at all! The PlayDisney app was a nice touch but why not touch on the decorations and the food of the celebration? Or any of the other little extra things you could have done here to add that nice icing to the celebration cake.
Ultimately: this is a hard prompt, one that you need to get a gameplan in place and run with it. I feel like had you decided on your theme a bit sooner and were a bit more willing to step out of your comfort zone as a group (I personally find that a lot of armchair Imagineers quake in their boots at the idea of creating entertainment), this all could have come together much nicer.

Creativity: 7/10 - Some things brought this down like just bringing back Dreams, the lack of new events, and other things but your score was brought up by the double celebration aspect and the theme.
Presentation: 9/10 - Kind of the perfect style to go for with this project. Some small errors brought it down for me but it's probably the best aspect of the entire project.
Detail: 7/10 - There actually was a lot of detail here, unfortunately, it wasn't directed in the right place. I wanted to know more about what would happen at Disneyland. I wanted to hear more about Halloween and Christmas.
Realism: 8/10 - Honestly, I don't see anything wrong here. The fact this is set in a COVID free universe frees you up for something different.
Group Work: 8/10 - This team just gets on so well. Chemistry is off the charts. I just wish there was more of a push here to stretch out of the comfort zone.
Total: 39/50 - Ultimately, this project was an amazing steak slathered in ketchup.

EDIT: I had a spark of inspiration a couple days ago so stay tuned through the day for my own take on this prompt.​

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
My feedback is going to be pretty limited this time around because I'll admit I don't have nearly as much passion for this kind of stuff as Mickeyfan does. As stated earlier, I tend to be the guy marathoning the rides when parades and fireworks are going down. That being said, I think the parades are easily the strongest part of this project. Lots of creativity with the floats, a good amount of variety in size and scale, and themes that flowed together really well. My biggest disappointment was the "extra" stuff.

I mentioned in a Question of the Day how much I loved Disneyland's 50th for the small things they did like the mosaics, golden ride vehicles, Hidden Mickeys, Class of 1955 dedications etc. There was really none of that here. In fact, this whole project felt fairly disorganized and really just a bullet point list of random additions that to me didn't share any sort of a cohesive theme. Stuff like the Frozen land and Avengers Campus...if I'm being frank...feels like filler since it's basically concepts we already know are coming to other parks, and the additions have little to nothing to do with the anniversary element.

Stuff like the holiday overlays and Toon Town are nice additions but feel like they could be part of entirely different prompts. Generally speaking I think this team did a good job leaning away from the obvious option of doing WDW and celebrating two parks at the same time worked really well, but there was a lack of substance to many of the additions that made the whole thing feel like a collection of good but disjointed ideas. The entertainment definitely was the strongest connection to the anniversary theme, so props there.

Creativity: 7/10 - Some good ideas and solid entertainment offerings, but stuff like Avengers and Frozen REALLY drag this score down
Realism: 9/10 - Almost a little too realistic with the cloned Frozen and Avengers stuff, haha
Presentation: 8/10 - Would have liked to have seen a bit more personalized art, but the organization here was top tier with the mini documents branching out. Great idea to not make the master document too overwhelming and led to a really smooth reading.
Detail: 8/10 - There's a ton here, but I would have liked to have seen more about the overall theme/vibe of the anniversary
Group Work: 9/10 - This merge team is definitely a force when it comes to each person having something valuable to contribute and working together well. It's DEFINITELY going to make eliminations difficult
Total: 41/50

AceAstro

Some good ideas and solid entertainment offerings, but stuff like Avengers and Frozen REALLY drag this score down
To defend why Avengers and Frozen are in there: they aren’t supposed to be new creative things. But you also can’t talk about an anniversary celebration without talking about other experiences that were already being worked on.

Same reason GOTG and Tron would’ve been included if we did MK or Zootopia if we did Shanghai. They’re still opening with the anniversary and, in my opinion, would feel weird if left out more than putting in something that’s not 100% our ideas

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Going to go ahead and get the elimination out of the way now since the next project is a big one. Once again and most likely for the rest of the competition, it needs to be stated that at this point NOBODY truly deserves to go home. The fact that everyone left in the game is such a strong player is going to make the end-game of this season fascinating to see play out. With all that said, let's get to the nominations.

The first nomination for elimination is...
@gam3rprincess. This was really unfortunate timing to get sick on your part because I feel like last project was one of your strongest yet. That being said, the reason for elimination is pretty obvious. Because of your health issues you easily had the least to contribute to the finished product.

The second nomination for elimination is...
@DashHaber. This isn't a "you did something wrong" nomination, more of one that indicates that maybe you're not doing enough. While your Space Mountain refurb was very solid, it was really the only major thing you contributed to the project. Generally speaking, you're a really solid player but haven't had a big "WOW!" moment yet. You are more consistent than Gamer is, but frankly Gamer has shown a lot more passion for the game in the projects they have shined in. Needless to say, this is going to make for a difficult elimination...

And after a messy and NOT unanimous bout of decision making on Team TMNT's end, the person eliminated in 9th place is...
@gam3rprincess. Let the record show that I did NOT agree with this decision but got out-voted by the other three TMNT members. The fact of the matter is, this isn't the first time something from your personal life has hindered your ability to pariticipate. When you're on, you're really ON and one of the strongest in the cast. Unfortunately you're also the least consistent person in the cast in spite of being among the most passionate. Dash, it's not that you're a bad player or I think ill of your gameplay, but in the entire season you've yet to wow me in any way while Gamer has several times. At this stage in the game, it's not enough to just be consistently "there". You need to find a niche that makes you stand out in this cast, because with a group this strong you're definitely running the risk of blending into the crowd. Gamer, I'm really sorry to see you go and hope you don't take this too hard. As with every elimination, please let me know if you see a project in the future you'd like to guest judge on.

With that, let's get to the next prompt...the one I've been looking forward to more than any other!

Project Ten: The Great Literature Ride
1595872896568.png

In season ten, we did a Great Broadway Ride prompt that ended up being one of my all time favorite projects. The Great ____ Ride formula is a wonderful thing to use for Armchair Imagineering as it allows for a research intensive project that's fun and easy to put together with scenes that don't have to have any sort of real connection to each other other than being from the same medium. As you can probably guess with the title of the prompt, this time around you're making a Great Literature Ride to be placed in a park of your choice. The park doesn't have to be Disney, but the ride itself should follow the Great Movie Ride formula of many different scenes of the greatest moments in the history of the medium. As far as timeline is concerned, I'll entirely leave it up to the team to determine when the cut-off for "Great Literature" should be. @goofyyukyukyuk17 has been awarded last round's PoMVP and cannot be nominated for elimination. Speaking of elimination, this round will be the dreaded second DOUBLE ELIMINATION. The Project Leader must nominate three people for elimination this time around, and only one will continue on to the next round. Big project, big stakes. As Doctor Strange would say, were in the Endgame now...

Good luck team. This project is due Tuesday, August 4th at 11:59PM Eastern.

NateD1226

NateD1226’s Reviews

Team Prospero - The Story’s Just Begun
  • I absolutely loved the logo. It is so pretty
  • The Space Mountain was very nice and has been needed for years. Although, I don't think it needed that much detail for a new ride overlay.
  • La Voyage de Notre Recit Parade was so imaginative. It brought new and old IP to blend into this beautiful parade. I also really liked the idea of the blackbox parade float. Very cool!
  • Bringing back an old firework show was not the best idea imo. You could have made this huge new show with much more diversity and whole new story
  • Adding Frozen and Avengers felt unnecessary as they both are already happening with details already posted to the public.
  • Disney’s Wonder by Wonder looks nice. Maybe a little more detail on the theme.
  • World of Movies was really nice and had a great lineup of music. It felt like a successor of Philharmagic.
  • Magic at the Movies felt a little underwhelming as it didn’t really have a cohesive theme. The flow of it all just felt off.
  • Seasonal Additions were nice. Not much to say about it
  • The app was nice and tied into the theme well
  • Overall, I think you guys missed the mark with this one. A lot was missing like food, merchandise designs, and just more detail overall. I would’ve loved to see some art and a playlist of music for the parades. Plus, the overall theme was just not conveyed in the components very well.
Creativity: 7/10
Realism: 8/10
Detail: 7/10
Presentation: 9/10
Group Work: 9/10
Total: 40/50

mickeyfan5534

Going to go ahead and get the elimination out of the way now since the next project is a big one. Once again and most likely for the rest of the competition, it needs to be stated that at this point NOBODY truly deserves to go home. The fact that everyone left in the game is such a strong player is going to make the end-game of this season fascinating to see play out. With all that said, let's get to the nominations.

The first nomination for elimination is...
@gam3rprincess. This was really unfortunate timing to get sick on your part because I feel like last project was one of your strongest yet. That being said, the reason for elimination is pretty obvious. Because of your health issues you easily had the least to contribute to the finished product.

The second nomination for elimination is...
@DashHaber. This isn't a "you did something wrong" nomination, more of one that indicates that maybe you're not doing enough. While your Space Mountain refurb was very solid, it was really the only major thing you contributed to the project. Generally speaking, you're a really solid player but haven't had a big "WOW!" moment yet. You are more consistent than Gamer is, but frankly Gamer has shown a lot more passion for the game in the projects they have shined in. Needless to say, this is going to make for a difficult elimination...

And after a messy and NOT unanimous bout of decision making on Team TMNT's end, the person eliminated in 9th place is...
@gam3rprincess. Let the record show that I did NOT agree with this decision but got out-voted by the other three TMNT members. The fact of the matter is, this isn't the first time something from your personal life has hindered your ability to pariticipate. When you're on, you're really ON and one of the strongest in the cast. Unfortunately you're also the least consistent person in the cast in spite of being among the most passionate. Dash, it's not that you're a bad player or I think ill of your gameplay, but in the entire season you've yet to wow me in any way while Gamer has several times. At this stage in the game, it's not enough to just be consistently "there". You need to find a niche that makes you stand out in this cast, because with a group this strong you're definitely running the risk of blending into the crowd. Gamer, I'm really sorry to see you go and hope you don't take this too hard. As with every elimination, please let me know if you see a project in the future you'd like to guest judge on.

With that, let's get to the next prompt...the one I've been looking forward to more than any other!
@gam3rprincess I genuinely hope you have no hard feelings. Unfortunately, for me, it all fell to track records and how many saves you had previously. You've been up for elimination several times already when this was Dash's first. As Tiki said, when you are on, you are absolutely on. And let me say, it has been an absolute pleasure to see your work in this competition.

@DashHaber, consider this a call out. This is not the time to be playing a safe game. You make yourself known or you fade to the background and fading to the background is not a good thing to happen to a contestant in this round.

Tux

ROUND/PROJECT NINE - THE STORY'S JUST BEGUN

TEAM PROSPERO

> As for the creativity in this project, I would have to say that it's good enough even if it could've been more creative, given that it's understandable seeing as the focus was primarily focused on other things throughout the project, mainly since it was focused more on thematic elements throughout the park, and there's a good amount of new content that was added to the park , like the parades, the additions to Space Mountain, most of the entertainment, and the addition of World Of Movies. I do feel like adding a old show instead of something entirely new in the case of Dreams wasn't the best choice, and I do wish that an original show was done instead. The WDSP Parade was amazing in terms of how well thought out it was and how everything felt like it fit right at home at the park while using some IP that hasn't been used in the parks before and while balancing between a collection of properties that Disney owns, and while I do feel like more could have been done to really make this feel more like a 30th celebration, I appreciate how heavily everyone focused on the Movie theme throughout.

> Realism wise, I think that this project was extremely accurate in terms of how Disney would probably actually pull it off given the amount of focus that was put on the IP the company currently has in it's possession which is something the company would probably actually do during a 30th anniversary celebration, especially with how it fits with how the CEOs keep pushing for more IP based areas in the parks. The addition of overlays, focus on entertainment, and the focus on making their apps more relevant feels like something the company would actually focus on and strive to do during such updates. I also feel like the focus on one theme regarding film and media feels like a real decision that Disney would take to justify their creative choices in the parks if they were to ever make a celebration like this in real life. Even then, most of the attraction additions do feel like actual creative choices the company would make, along with the entertainment and dining choices. The usage of cloned attractions being brought over also feels like a fitting creative decision since it isn't very uncommon to see in renovations and celebrations also. Overall, this project is extremely realistic in how it reflects current design decisions in the company and what the announcements usually consist of to a scarily accurate degree.

> I feel like the detail within this project was a little lackluster compared to usual, not because there was so much a lack of it, so much as there was too little focus on some of the bigger parts of the project compared to the others. I feel like some of land additions should have been emphasized a bit more considering how big it would actually be in reality, although I do understand that there were bigger priorities elsewhere with the focus on the parades. I do think the project would have benefitted more from a section dedicated to the theme rather than it having it been explained halfway through the project. Some of the more important parts of Disney Celebrations like merchandise, food, and I think it would have benefitted more from more focus on the overlays of certain parts of the lands during certain times and during holidays. I also feel like there was a little too much detail on Space Mountain although I do appreciate that you've given it the attention that it deserves given it's current state. Also, some of the flow during the parades felt a little bumpy at times but it was consistently good for the most part, and otherwise the detail during the parades and the parades in general were the best part of the project as a whole.

> The presentation of this project was excellent this round, with the project being hosted on the old reliable google docs, with an extra google document for an extra part of the project. The text and it's coloring fit in pretty well with the rest of the document. The reference images definitely help with imagining the document and how everything would theoretically look. The logos for the celebration were absolutely gorgeous to look at and looked beautiful aesthetically. I also loved the closing of the project, and how it all consisted of French, and how it properly summarized what exactly was in mind when creating the project. The organization this round was excellent except for one little missing tab, but that's just a tiny nitpick in the grand scheme of things. I also would have liked some more individual artwork, but what was already there during the project is good enough, plus the paragraphs are indented with images well enough that I don't really mind in the end. Overall, great work with the presentation!

> As for the Group Work, everyone did extremely well to help bring this project together and did great at having consistent communication throughout. I loved seeing the pitches all coming together in the beginning to help create the core of the project. Mostly everyone did excellent in contributing in there own ways and I appreciate how the work all came together towards the end to create something that was generally very consistent. The chemistry everyone forms together is excellent and y'all make a great team together! I liked seeing everyone be enthusiastic about creating the final product this round, and I'm glad that everyone mostly seemed to be having fun. I hope to see everyone work to continue to keep up the good work in terms of team work!

Creativity - 8/10
Realism - 10/10
Detail - 8/10
Presentation - 9/10
Group Work - 9/10

Total Score - 44/50

pix

@TheOriginalTiki @mickeyfan5534 Absolutely no hard feelings! I had an amazing time in this competition and made it farther than I expected. I know life got in the way a lot for me this season and I thoroughly made peace knowing any of those times I could of been cut. I am super thankful for the chances I had to keep going and keep growing and I wish @DashHaber the best in the rest of the competition.

Sorry team TMNT for making it so difficult to choose but you have not seen the last of me one bit. Would love to guest judge and have plans to keep more active here than I have before. You guys did a wonderful job hosting and I am glad to of been a part of it.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Here's the two pieces of concept art I could find for The Great Broadway Ride. Unfortunately both of them are for side attractions within the "Little Broadway" land as a whole (which meant to replace Hollywood Pictures Backlot at DCA)
403937_313073405454511_974992806_n.jpg

Ink and Paint Club Interactive Dining Experience featuring a headlining piano duel between AAs of Donald and Daffy

396897_311329448962240_1529969407_n.jpg

New Broadway theater exterior for MuppetVision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom