So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 15: Uniting Universal (Official Hub Thread)

spacemt354

Chili's
I agree with @D Hindley I think option A with the point to point works best. It definitely does save on track cost plus you don't have to worry about theming where the backstage/cast area is for riders. I think it's also better for in park resort guests and their park access. I think you want park access at a premium for those folks and option A achieves that. In most cases it looks like the ride is the same or shorter to different aspects of the complex. While I think a long leisurely ride on B would be nice, A seems the way to go, to me.
I'm leaning towards A as well, for a variety of reasons, and I agree with what your points are too. At first I wanted to see some sort of full loop around the resort with transport...like in TDR

But I think we can accomplish that more effectively and keep everything closer together with something more similar to the Las Vegas Monorail which goes North to South.

Poe Dameron

Good morning everyone!

Based on our discussions last night - I have a question to propose today before we continue on with the resort construction. We're trying to decide how to arrange everything within the resort complex. The resort is currently going in Australia (in a patch of land approximately the size of Universal Orlando Resort)

We have 3 drafts of maps for our parks, the original Universal opening day park (temporarily named UniMK)
updated%2Bmap.jpg

The resort's second park (temporarily named UniSEA)
download

And the resort's water park - named Suess Landing.
8750283279840939884%253Faccount_id%253D9

----------------------------------

The question is - how to arrange it. Taking influence from both the Tokyo Disney Resort and the Universal Orlando Resort, we have two options for layouts as of now, with the additional areas such as resort hotels, CityWalk, and a rapid transit system (the black line in the designs) included in the layouts

The Question is -- which design would you prefer and why? Design A? Design B? Or Neither (your own suggestion)

Any and all responses would be appreciated! Thanks!

Design A
242343.jpg

Design B
242343.jpg
Design A would be my preference. I think it offers the best of both worlds where you have a bit of Tokyo with a monorail system but also the two parks near each other attached by CityWalk

spacemt354

Chili's
Universal CityWalk Rough Draft

Architectural Influences/Design (Spanish/European seaside aesthetic)
download

12112671714_a09474722f_b.jpg

lrz_002a-bm-15-17.jpg

Port_de_soller_to_soller_tram_arp.jpg

img_5937-jpg.232866

img_5938-jpg.232867

For the attraction list I researched some of the more common Australian chain restaurants, shops, and more to fill the CityWalk, to give it more of a realistic vibe for an international destination. Some American brands are seen, but they are large ones with international locations in Australia -- such as Starbucks.

Thoughts/feedback welcome!

Casual Dining
- Pancake Parlour
- Zarraffas Coffee
- Outback Steakhouse
- Bakers Delight
- Sizzler
- Shingle Inn
- Karl Strauss Brewing Company
- Hard Rock Cafe
- La Porchetta
- Nando's
- Zambrero

Quick Service Eateries
- Noodle Box
- Mad Mex Fresh Mexican Grill
- Krispy Kreme
- Cold Rock Ice Creamery
- Oporto

Snacks & Refreshments
- Starbucks Coffee
- The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
- Spudbar
- Baskin-Robbins Australia

Apparel & Accessories
- Ally Fashion
- Angus & Coote
- Brooks Brothers
- Fame and Partners
- Golds World of Judaica
- Jay Jays
- Lowes Menswear
- Sass & Bide
- Wallace Bishop

Collectibles, Games, & Novelties
- EB Games Australia
- Marshall & Sons
- Tandy Electronics
- Watson, Ferguson, and Company

Food Specialties, Home, Health, & Beauty
- Amcal
- Bunnings Warehouse
- Howard Smith Limited

Night Spots
- Hard Rock Cafe

Cinemas
- Universal Cinema

Experiences
- Lagoon Show
- iFly Indoor Skydiving

MonorailRed

Applebees
242343.jpg

Rough idea of what I'm thinking

Opening Day
UniMK
Isla Nublar Resort
French Resort
City Walk
Boat Canals

5 years in
UniMK Nintendo Expansion (in anticipation for UniSEA)
Italy Resort
Minion Family Resort
Suess Landing construction begins

10 years in
UniMK Nicktoons Expansion
UniSEA construction
Rapid Transit construction
Suess Landing opens

12 years in
UniSEA opens
Hogwarts Resort opens
Rapid Transit opens

Thoughts?

(Very) Rough Draft for Minion Family Resort

Despicable Me! Resort

Lobby/Cafeteria/Gift Shop Themed to Super Silly Funland Boardwalk
o.jpg

minion-games-universal-studios-minionride.jpg

latest

Dru's Mansion - Rooms are more luxurious with an upscale feel.

latest

The Suburbs - Family Suites
latest

Gru's House - Minion Arcade

Pool - Similar to this...
nickhotel_2.jpg

I'll elaborate more after school today! The goal is to finish this tonight!

D Hulk

Pondering ride tech...

Forbidden Journey's KUKA arm ride system (the Robocoaster G2) was unprecedented, and really elevated Universal's standings. Been looking into next-gen ride types for our resort to continue this trend.

IMG_5965.JPG

IMG_5967.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

Robocoaster G3
The first obvious thought is Robocoaster's next idea, which moves the KUKA arm from a flat dark ride track onto a simple roller coaster track. Could be fun for stuff like jetpacks. I once designed a BTTF hoverboard ride using the G3. The Robocoaster website no longer features this 10-year-old ride concept, so it might not be feasible, but it's still something to ponder.

IMG_5969.JPG

Robocoaster AGV
Robocoaster still features their Automated Guide Vehicle, which applies LPS trackless technology to actual cars and similar vehicles. Allows for faster acceleration than existing trackless systems, and even permits skids and drifting. Fast and Furious ride, anyone? Top speeds remain only a meter or two per second, but that's where screen assistance comes in!

IMG_5970.JPG

Intamin's Ultra Tower
Lastly, while nearly every company has some sort of flight simulator concept (including Robocoaster), the most intriguing is Intamin's Ultra Tower, which combines motion base vehicles with a drop tower (accelerated rises and falls!), all with a vertical wraparound screen. Plus four towers back-to-back for good hourly capacity around 1,800, which could even be doubled on a small footprint. Could be a neat system for simulating flying cars.

There are other neat conceptual ride systems like the cantilevered coaster (Uni's Donkey Kong coaster is a simplified version), the SFX coaster (like Gringott's), and Vekoma's unlikely Pandora's Box.

Altogether, just some tech to consider for our assorted ride concepts. Because Universal is always pursuing cutting edge ideas!

spacemt354

Chili's
Early elevated railway from Vienna:
View attachment 233738
Something in this vein could fit our CityWalk perhaps. And the stone viaduct structures they travel upon can contain simple restaurants and shops below.
I really like that for CityWalk -- though I do question how an old steam railway will look counter to Isla Nublar, and Suess....though granted an old steam engine goes through Tomorrowland in the MK so I guess it isn't that bad. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom