So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 15: Uniting Universal (Official Hub Thread)

spacemt354

Chili's
Definitely Transylvania should boast some mazes. We have the opportunity here to do something even grander with the Universal Monsters!

For Frankenstein, I've pictured a drop Tower set in Victor's fortress. The good Doctor straps guests into a gurney to serve as his creation's life force. Guests lift upwards during a storm to behold the Monster as it comes to life, then a lightning bolt sends them plummeting down and ending the experiment.

For Dracula, I'm keen on an all-access boat dark ride so that more guests can enjoy this land. (Currently UniSEA is a little light on rides without height requirements, which is a common Universal issue.) Drift through flooded catacombs - actually somewhat inspired by the Phantom's flooded crypt - and witness both Dracula and all the other Monsters in their lairs. This could even be guided like the old Jaws ride. (An alternative for Dracula is a thrilling motion base dark ride like Spider-Man upon the Count's haunted carriage.)

Currently UniSEA has the indoors Mummy coaster, plus an outdoors War of the Worlds coaster likely with a layout similar to Cedar Point's Maverick (tracks and trained themed to the London Underground dangerously twisted by the Martians). Hopefully Pokémon Land can host a family-friendly coaster too (themed to the Legendaries?).

DisneySea has no exposed ride systems except for when they're 100% thematically appropriate, and I'm trying for something similar with UniSEA. It makes coasters harder to create, but I agree the park needs a few. Any coaster ideas which can meet those needs?
The only one in DisneySea that I can think of is Raging Spirits and Journey to the Center of the Earth? I don't even think Tower of Terror opens up to the outside? But I could be wrong on that. So yeah - it should definitely be kept to a minimum in terms of exposed track...I think the Pokemon family coaster could be one that is exposed similar to Slinky Dog Dash for Toy Story Land.

D Hulk

The only one in DisneySea that I can think of is Raging Spirits and Journey to the Center of the Earth? I don't even think Tower of Terror opens up to the outside? But I could be wrong on that. So yeah - it should definitely be kept to a minimum in terms of exposed track...I think the Pokemon family coaster could be one that is exposed similar to Slinky Dog Dash for Toy Story Land.
I agree the Pokémon coaster could be exposed; junior coasters are less visually intrusive. DisneySea actually has a similar Little Mermaid coaster, and unless you go over to ride it, you'll never even see the thing.

Since @themazethinker points it out, some rethinking on Transylvania occurs. Lose the Dracula dark ride (there are 4 other dark rides in the park currently) and instead give Dracula the world's greatest permanent walkthrough scare maze! Keep the Mummy coaster and the Frankenstein drop tower.

For one additional ride, how about rafts like Bilgerat Barges traveling the whole land? They would fit Creature from the Black Lagoon, certainly, but I think we could toss in all the additional Universal Monsters here - through village canals, haunted rivers, flooded catacombs, jungles, etc.

The land also has its monster "shriek & greet," plus a comical Abbott & Costello stage show. Add in roaming characters and village performers to interact with like Knott's Ghost Town Live (like for when the pitchfork mob storms the castle, led by Van Helsing), and hopefully we've got a more well-rounded and distinctive land.

spacemt354

Chili's
I agree the Pokémon coaster could be exposed; junior coasters are less visually intrusive. DisneySea actually has a similar Little Mermaid coaster, and unless you go over to ride it, you'll never even see the thing.

Since @themazethinker points it out, some rethinking on Transylvania occurs. Lose the Dracula dark ride (there are 4 other dark rides in the park currently) and instead give Dracula the world's greatest permanent walkthrough scare maze! Keep the Mummy coaster and the Frankenstein drop tower.

For one additional ride, how about rafts like Bilgerat Barges traveling the whole land? They would fit Creature from the Black Lagoon, certainly, but I think we could toss in all the additional Universal Monsters here - through village canals, haunted rivers, flooded catacombs, jungles, etc.

The land also has its monster "shriek & greet," plus a comical Abbott & Costello stage show. Add in roaming characters and village performers to interact with like Knott's Ghost Town Live (like for when the pitchfork mob storms the castle, led by Van Helsing), and hopefully we've got a more well-rounded and distinctive land.
I'm actually in favor of all of this -- sounds like some great adjustments!

Suchomimus

What are the other 3 dark rides? (I know Forbidden Journey is one of them)

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Working on a fun attraction -- will report back soon:bookworm: (a brief hint)
ster-kinekor-the-shining-600-17891.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
Wondering if I could get an opinion on the facade for The Shining

I'm leaning towards using the facade for the Overlook used in Kubrick's film - which is actually in Oregon -- however the actual Stanley Hotel that the book is based on is so much more elegant and regal on the outside
stanley1.jpg

investigation_stanleyhotel_photo1_large.gif

I'm debating which to go with and wanted to get some feedback

(from the film)
overlook1.jpg

D Hulk

Wondering if I could get an opinion on the facade for The Shining

I'm leaning towards using the facade for the Overlook used in Kubrick's film - which is actually in Oregon -- however the actual Stanley Hotel that the book is based on is so much more elegant and regal on the outside
stanley1.jpg

investigation_stanleyhotel_photo1_large.gif

I'm debating which to go with and wanted to get some feedback

(from the film)
overlook1.jpg
My vote is for the movie facade, particularly if the interior is also inspired by Kubrick. It's not as lovely, but it fits that spooky overbearing tone oh so well!

Disney Dad 3000

A few pics I was working on

Canal between Hong Kong and American mystery lands

Lagoon view of American mystery land just started with shining, bates motel and It (if that remains the lineup). @spacemt354 I took some liberties and put the monorail here through a tunnel instead of over water. Thought it if you had a stop here would help with the vibe for a dark, creepy station and not seeing it through the trees from the land.

Edit: think I may like your choice for the shining facade better

spacemt354

Chili's
My vote is for the movie facade, particularly if the interior is also inspired by Kubrick. It's not as lovely, but it fits that spooky overbearing tone oh so well!
Thanks! I think I'll go with that...and maybe include a subtle easter egg to Estes Park Stanley as a picture on a wall or something.

And definitely want to use the lobby interior! That is an amazing set piece.

spacemt354

Chili's
A few pics I was working on

Canal between Hong Kong and American mystery lands

Lagoon view of American mystery land just started with shining, bates motel and It (if that remains the lineup). @spacemt354 I took some liberties and put the monorail here through a tunnel instead of over water. Thought it if you had a stop here would help with the vibe for a dark, creepy station and not seeing it through the trees from the land.

Edit: think I msy like your choice for the shoning facade better
full

This is a great image Disney Dad!

Totally get the monorail going through a tunnel (actually that would be a neat 'show scene' on the monorail) -- and like the transitions between attractions. Ironically I was just debating which version of the Overlook to use haha (the real or film) :joyfull:

See what @D Hindley thinks about it -- but the facade in this image actually looks pretty cool nestled up an a hill looming over the other areas.

brb1006

Universal Resort Complex - Recap and Summary

With the many ideas floating around - I thought it would be a good time to bring together the ideas we have so far - along with the amendments to concept art and content over the last few days of brainstorming since the initial idea.

Universal Resort Sketch
5988254726357765056%253Faccount_id%253D9

A rough draft of a possible layout of the resort. A resort that features 2 theme parks (temporarily named) UniMK and UniSEA

With the objective of the project to bring a more naturalistic and immersive atmosphere to the Uni parks as a whole, we've titled the original park UniMK in order to keep us on track with a goal similar to that of the Magic Kingdom, having guests be immersed in varied lands that aren't all exclusive to one IP.

UniMK Rough Map
Universal%2Btheme%2Bpark%2Bmap.jpg

*Amendments*
- Paris will no longer be the entrance, instead, it will be a New York entrance with Fantastic Beasts, Men in Black, among a variety of Universal owned New York IPs.
- Cartoon Corner will take the place of New York, where it stands on the map above, and be home to a variety of Cartoon Network IPs including Steven Universe among others. This will transition into Illumination Station.

Concept art for Hong Kong land in UniMK
by @Disney Dad 3000
full

--------------------------------------------------------------
UniSEA
UniSEA is inspired mostly by Tokyo DisneySEA in Tokyo Disneyland Resort. Given its reputation for being one of if not the most immersive theme park on earth, UniSEA will attempt to replicate the singular IP unique lands that all are assimilated through water elements such as lakes and streams, that tie each eclectic landscape together.

An overview map will be coming soon - but for now here's @D Hindley 's thoughts - as he is the main guiding voice for the land.
*Two things that were amended recently is the possibly removal of Amity and Suess Landing
*Pokemon might be added in as a possible replacement for Suess Landing.​

Suess Landing Water Park
8750283279840939884%253Faccount_id%253D9

Rather than have a smaller land in UniSEA - Suess Landing has been transformed into a fully fleshed out water park at the Universal Resort. (Detailed attractions were posted before, however a completed list of attractions will arrive soon.

Resort Hotels and Entertainment Options
Universal separates their resorts into Premier Hotels, Preferred Hotels, and Prime Value Hotels (comparable to Deluxe, Moderate, Value in WDW)

For Premier Hotels -- one of the ideas so far is an Italian and Greek themed Mediterranean area, connected via walking bridges over a lagoon that separates the two resorts.
1108072525873837488%253Faccount_id%253D9

Another Premier hotel idea is the Hilton Isla Nublar - from Jurassic World.

For Preferred Hotels, the possibilities are still far and wide

For Prime Value hotels - a Despicable Me resort has been tossed around, with the various landscapes from the film series acting as the guest building locations in the resort.

CityWalk and other amenities - Brainstorming is still open and well for the possibilities here. Any suggestions are welcome!​
3729-killed-moving-rabbit.jpg

brb1006

Glad to see you! Haven't forgotten about the facade for Hop! It's on my list right after this next piece of concept art I'm working on for The Shining (talk about tonal transition:hilarious:)
Speaking of which, ever since the Chocolate Emporium opened. I felt like that would make a perfect area for guests to meet the Pink Berets more easily since they came from a movie where chocolate is involved and maybe doing character dinings there. Especially since Universal doesn't have that many character dinings there besides a few hotel and could draw more children there.

D Hulk

Thanks! I think I'll go with that...and maybe include a subtle easter egg to Estes Park Stanley as a picture on a wall or something.

And definitely want to use the lobby interior! That is an amazing set piece.
While you're playing in the Overlook, for ever and ever and ever, another thought: Have you ever seen the layout maps for Kubrick's sets? They're utterly illogical, which is a great source of horror and would play wonderfully in a dark ride. There's even a map tracking Danny's climatic path through the hedge maze. If the ride's trackless, imagine getting the vehicles lost in there!
IMG_5943.JPG

Disney Dad 3000

full

This is a great image Disney Dad!

Totally get the monorail going through a tunnel (actually that would be a neat 'show scene' on the monorail) -- and like the transitions between attractions. Ironically I was just debating which version of the Overlook to use haha (the real or film) :joyfull:

See what @D Hindley thinks about it -- but the facade in this image actually looks pretty cool nestled up an a hill looming over the other areas.

Haha. I know. Kind of creepy. I saw yours immediately after and went back and edited my post.
Really interested to see what you do with it. Even if you use the other, we can just say this was an early concept piece and stick it in a coffee table book somewhere. Ha.

spacemt354

Chili's
While you're playing in the Overlook, for ever and ever and ever, another thought: Have you ever seen the layout maps for Kubrick's sets? They're utterly illogical, which is a great source of horror and would play wonderfully in a dark ride. There's even a map tracking Danny's climatic path through the hedge maze. If the ride's trackless, imagine getting the vehicles lost in there!
View attachment 233016
Haha -- this is exactly what I'm working on...:bookworm: Had the exact same thought!

Personally The Shining is one of my favorite horror movies because of what Kubrick does with the cinematography of the hotel itself...and the set design, panning shots, etc...and I was messing around with ways to bring that cinematography to life with a trackless dark ride!:geek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom