So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 15: Uniting Universal (Official Hub Thread)

D Hulk

That's why I was saying it might be a stretch haha. The contract (I believe) is specifically for Orlando. Marvel can't be used within 60 miles of Universal Orlando...however Disney can use it at their other theme parks. I don't know where that leaves Universal Japan/Hollywood (Uni still owns the distribution rights for Hulk films and such) but maybe it's too complicated for what it's worth.

Hobbit would definitely be my backup choice! While skewing a bit more teenage...it's hard to find an unused Uni IP that appeals to children and fits within the park. Of course a Kid Zone or a Toon Lagoon could be installed...but it might stick out like a sore thumb in the park.
True, Universal Parks have struggled to find a good children's IP before, and plenty which they have would seem too garish for this particular setting.

How about something else from children's illustrated literature, somewhat like Dr. Seuss? My first thought is Where the Wild Things Are. It's maybe a little narrow for a whole land, but the wild and surreal visuals would work well, and licensing it might be a breeze.

spacemt354

Chili's
True, Universal Parks have struggled to find a good children's IP before, and plenty which they have would seem too garish for this particular setting.

How about something else from children's illustrated literature, somewhat like Dr. Seuss? My first thought is Where the Wild Things Are. It's maybe a little narrow for a whole land, but the wild and surreal visuals would work well, and licensing it might be a breeze.
That's a good option! Just as long as we are throwing out ideas...I remember this one being thrown around..would Pokemon work?

spacemt354

Chili's
Tagging over some of the Nintendo experts @kmbmw777 @Brer Oswald and back to Douglas -- would Pokemon grant enough diversity where it feels different than the Zelda and Super Mario/old school Nintendo inspired lands?

I guess the only drawback I would see would be a lack of diversity (if so) having 3 out of 14ish lands combined from the two parks be based on Nintendo....(which isn't a lot when you actually look at it that way ...7/14 or something would be excessive:p)

D Hulk

Here are some new attractions for UniSea, filling in the empty spaces from last night's park lineup:

For Transylvania, where was a TBD Wolf-Man slot, which for balance would be better as a non-ride. Thinking of going ExtraTERRORestrial with it. A live SFX show, with guests as researchers into lycanthropy watching Larry Talbot transform live before them...before he rampages!

For Skull Island, it needed a C-ticket ride. I'm currently considering a Madhouse (they're like a rotating room you sit within, great for surreal special effects). Guests are riding in the cargo hull of a ship transporting Kong (hidden in another chamber), when he escapes and starts to dismantle the ship during a raging storm. (With the Skull Island setting, I've found it hard trying to justify a NY-set Kong attraction.)

Most importantly, Hyrule has many more details now! Its layout and visuals are still primarily from Ocarina of Time - Hyrule Field as a hub leading to Hyrule Castle Town, Kakariko Village, Death Mountain, and maybe other locales. Other Zelda games will inform the details and attractions, particularly Breath of the Wild, Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker. There are now 3 rides and 3 non-ride attractions.

First is a land-wide interactive attraction akin to Sorcerers of the Kingdom at MK. Learn through a show in the Temple of Time of your quest for the Triforce shards (or some other set of MacGuffins), then explore the entire land collecting them. Using magical items such as a souvenir ocarina, guests can trigger effects and open passages and even chat/LARP with cast members. (The ocarina can be a lot like the wands in WWOHP!)

Another non-ride is an epic escape room in a Zelda dungeon. They're all about puzzle solving and other brain teasers, so it's a good fit. Would need to improve an escape room's capacity for a theme park setting...I think it can be done.

Last non-ride, village games in Kakariko, like the arrow shooting and treasure chest guessing games and bomb stuff, etc, as in the Nintendo games. It's all like boardwalk games Zelda-style.

Rides - The shooter dark ride would have guests riding either Epona (the horse) or Link's wolf form from Twilight Princess, through perhaps another dungeon (or a TBD setting). Ride vehicles would "breathe" like the Pandora banshees, and are ridden similarly, with swiveling mounted crossbows (think Toy Story Mania with triggers) to shoot at screen/set hybrid stuff. Very battle based.

A paraglider simulator ride inspired by Breath of the Wild, the newest (and by some reviews the best) Zelda game. Picture hang-gliding done to the immersive quality of Flights of Passage, with ride seats like B&M's flying coasters (like Uni's Flying Dinosaur at USJ) but done individually like on FOP. Queue and loading amidst the Gorons in Death Mountain, gliders lift up on the volcano's thermal vents. Then guests enjoy a glorious breathtaking flight over the entirety of Hyrule!

Lastly, a C-ticket water ride (more details TBD) based on The Wind Waker's sailboats. Mostly something to add some movement to the land.

With Hyrule getting an E-ticket flight sim, I wonder if it's redundant doing a similar sim over at Hogsmeade with either Quidditch or Hippogriffs. If so, there are other Potter rides we can always consider, like a Quidditch coaster, or a ride through the Forbidden Forest on carriages pulled by quasi-invisible thestrals, or a ride in the Weasleys' flying car.

To be determined what happens with the children's area formerly based on Dr. Seuss.

Thoughts?

D Hulk

@themazethinker, the second gate UniSea has an entire Transylvania land based on the classic Universal Monsters, which you might enjoy helping with. There will be lots of rides and shows, but the possibilities for mazes and scarezones remain endless.

There's also a permanent scare maze in the H.G. Wells land based on The Island of Dr. Moreau, something else you could play with.

And the entry land is Victorian London. Come Halloween Horror Nights, you could do a lot with that setting I imagine!

themazethinker

@themazethinker, the second gate UniSea has an entire Transylvania land based on the classic Universal Monsters, which you might enjoy helping with. There will be lots of rides and shows, but the possibilities for mazes and scarezones remain endless.

There's also a permanent scare maze in the H.G. Wells land based on The Island of Dr. Moreau, something else you could play with.

And the entry land is Victorian London. Come Halloween Horror Nights, you could do a lot with that setting I imagine!
maybe for Victorian London you can have some walk around characters like Mr Hyde, Sherlock Holmes, Dr Frankenstein etc etc
the Transylvania land i have some ideas for, i like your alien encounter idea for the wolfman, maybe like this scene and a walk around Draculas castle or Frankenstein laboratory.

D Hulk

maybe for Victorian London you can have some walk around characters like Mr Hyde, Sherlock Holmes, Dr Frankenstein etc etc
the Transylvania land i have some ideas for, i like your alien encounter idea for the wolfman, maybe like this scene and a walk around Draculas castle or Frankenstein laboratory.

Yes, that scene!

Dracula and Frankenstein each get rides, but let's treat their queues like permanent haunted mazes, complete with scareactors (I think the Kong queue at IOA uses them). Go nuts with those!

Love the other suggestions too! For HHN, let's add the Ripper to London.

themazethinker

Yes, that scene!

Dracula and Frankenstein each get rides, but let's treat their queues like permanent haunted mazes, complete with scareactors (I think the Kong queue at IOA uses them). Go nuts with those!

Love the other suggestions too! For HHN, let's add the Ripper to London.
i think the alien encounter idea could work for mr hyde too, but let's be honest dr jekylls a british man and hydes a drunken irish man, the wolfmans feral though and just hunts for sport, so im with more of the wolfman idea

MonorailRed

Applebees
Hmm, Pokemon, Kirby, Donkey Kong. There's plenty from Nintendo which has the feel I'm going for (which is basically naturalistic).

I think Pokemon would be a good move!

I think it has so much of a fanbase it'd go incredibly well.... Plus imagine the opportunity for Pokemon encounters like the encounters at Jurassic Park :D

There was think game on the Nintendo 64.... Kind go like a shooter style game where you get points for the pictures you take in a boat.... with Pokemon. Maybe something like that would work in area? :bookworm: Skip to 0:55 in the video... it should explain kind of what I'm taking about.

spacemt354

Chili's
I feel like we should save toon lagoon for a Toontown-y area of the main park. If the main park is built on Universal classics, I think it totally makes sense to put Popeye, Dudley Do Right, Betty Boop and Woody Woodpecker together.
Agreed

So with all this said...perhaps we could move a land from (or expand) UniMK...to add in more kid friendly content.

Nintendo I would say is kid friendly, however I'm sure a ton of teens and adults will visit. Illumination Station I'd view a lot like Fantasyland...mostly kids, but you'll have families there. Kid Zone/Toon Lagoon -- would be the 'Toontown' of this park...which can either mean that New York Harbor or Hong Kong Harbor could possibly head over into UniSEA as an additional port?

This then frees up Dr. Suess for the water park too. Thoughts?

spacemt354

Chili's
I think Pokemon would be a good move!

I think it has so much of a fanbase it'd go incredibly well.... Plus imagine the opportunity for Pokemon encounters like the encounters at Jurassic Park :D

There was think game on the Nintendo 64.... Kind go like a shooter style game where you get points for the pictures you take in a boat.... with Pokemon. Maybe something like that would work in area? :bookworm: Skip to 0:55 in the video... it should explain kind of what I'm taking about.

Pokemon does sound fun especially as a compliment to the other Nintendo Lands!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom