So why weren't there many strollers back in the day?

jaklgreen

-
Do you actually have data to back this up -Yet we still see an increase in strollers and also the age the people are putting their children in strollers has also increased. -
Or is it an observation?

Why on earth would you change your "lifestyle" just for a trip to Disney?
Children have never wanted to sit still - in any decade - unless they are sleeping.
Children need frequent breaks - but not standing or sitting still. They still want to move and see different things - strollers provide them with this opportunity.

-Kids that have a normal healthy lifestyle and eat good food should have no issue walking for most of the day - There is so much wrong and judgmental with this statement I won't even bother.

Ok I will - Disney is not the same as playing in the street for a few hours...... In WDW you have massive crowds that most kids never really experience, noise and music all the time, rides, screaming, yelling, crying, laughing, ect, ect........ From the moment you park your car its 100% sensory explosion and immersion. Even without all the miles upon miles of walking, their minds are being exhausted at a rate you do not really experience anywhere else.

Come on people - 100% of the strollers you see for babies, todlers and children of all ages are 100% necessary, especially in WDW!

Not to mention the fact that children have many different issues that may not be observable to you watching them for 1-2 mins as you pass by.

Cut these little people and their families some slack - WDW hopping is not a stroll in the local park, by any means!

LOL Are you saying that kids are so fragile now that the rides and music and your "sensory explosion" is too much for them? So much so that an older child that is perfectly able to walk now has to be pushed in a stroller just to get through the day? Again, I absolutely think stroller are great for little ones. But once you reach the age of 5-6, there is no physical need then a healthy child should not have to use one. There is a reason why these strollers have maximum weight limit and why they don't make strollers for kids that age.

jaklgreen

---- Older kids, barring a medical issue - - -
My point was - how do you know the kids over 5 do not have medical issues?

People assume that all parents that shove their 6+ year old into a stroller are doing it because they want to make everything easy, or some other convoluted notion.
Where has the world's empathy gone - especially concerning kids. Stop focusing on the parent's and being quick to throw out judgement - think about the kids, maybe just maybe there is a reason for the stroller beyond what you can see.

We are not talking about a child with a physical need. How many times have people posted here that they put their child that has no medical issues in a stroller for their own convenience. Or because their supposedly healthy child is too tired to walk. That is when it is unnecessary. That is why I said a healthy child.

DisneyFreak

While it is a lot of walking in the theme parks, it has been this way for many many years.

I would argue there is more walking more recently based on what Fast Passes and dining reservations you may have. I would bet there is way more backtracking through the parks then there were years ago.

jaklgreen

-Kids that have a normal healthy lifestyle and eat good food should have no issue walking for most of the day - There is so much wrong and judgmental with this statement I won't even bother.

Since when is stating the fact that a healthy diet and lifestyle making a difference in a person's stamina a "judgement"? That is a known fact that everyone knows. The only people that get all PO'd about it are those who in fact do know this but want to justify not doing it. We all know you are what you eat. You can eat what you want and feed your kids what you want IDC, but don't pretend that a healthy diet makes no difference in a child's health and stamina.

jaklgreen

I would argue there is more walking more recently based on what Fast Passes and dining reservations you may have. I would bet there is way more backtracking through the parks then there were years ago.

Well then we can all just take a bit more breaks instead of running our kids to the ground so much that a 8-9-10 year old is so exhausted that they need to be pushed in a stroller. What kind of vacation is that? Wouldn't you rather have a nice family vacation where maybe you don't do as much but everyone is having fun and is relaxed over one that you have to do every single dang thing Disney has to offer and have the kids be tired and cranky and miserable? What are the kids going to remember about that trip? Ask yourself that.

BoarderPhreak

Having just come back from The Bubble™ I have to say... The strollers really are taking over. Holy moly. Dedicated "Stroller Parking" areas are filled to capacity most of the time; so much so that they're spreading beyond. There are even CMs dedicated to managing these parking areas. It's crazy.

OneofThree

Since when is stating the fact that a healthy diet and lifestyle making a difference in a person's stamina a "judgement"? That is a known fact that everyone knows. The only people that get all PO'd about it are those who in fact do know this but want to justify not doing it. We all know you are what you eat. You can eat what you want and feed your kids what you want IDC, but don't pretend that a healthy diet makes no difference in a child's health and stamina.

The sad part is, being stuffed into a stroller at Disney might be the least of the repercussions of this sort of ignorance and neglect. If you think the US suffers from all sorts of preventable disease now -just wait until these kids are adults.

DisneyFreak

Well then we can all just take a bit more breaks instead of running our kids to the ground so much that a 8-9-10 year old is so exhausted that they need to be pushed in a stroller. What kind of vacation is that? Wouldn't you rather have a nice family vacation where maybe you don't do as much but everyone is having fun and is relaxed over one that you have to do every single dang thing Disney has to offer and have the kids be tired and cranky and miserable? What are the kids going to remember about that trip? Ask yourself that.

I completely agree. I was just making an observation.

WDWFan2018

I don't want it to be a big argument as there are people on either side of the debate who are strong willed about it. But we'll stick with strollers because in my opinion a lot of the debate about scooters is that we've gotten fatter and lazier over time and it has become normal (yes there are genuinely handicapped people who need it today and in 1971 of course). But let's keep it to strollers.

Old pictures pop up and just like today there were kids at WDW. I went in 1991 but was old enough to be out of a stroller (I was 10). I know full well there were kids when I went too. Families and such were all around us. But looking at old pictures not only is the park less busy, there are clearly tons of less strollers. So what do you think changed? To me it is kids being as lazy and obese as they have ever been and parents being as lenient as they've ever been. Which is a bad combo. We went in November 2017. My kids were 6, 3, 18 months. The only one who was in the stroller was the 18 month old. Our three year old is pretty light and at the end of the night she just slept in my arms for the final hour (even through Haunted Mansion). So if we didn't have our 18 month old there would be no stroller at all for us. Our kids can walk just fine. Plus it is a nuisance parking it and un-buckling a toddler over and over.

We probably are going in October of this year. This means my kids will be 7, 4 and 2 and a half years old. Chances are I am going to go without the stroller (there are other family members who will likely stay back at the resort and gladly take the youngest for the day). Even with her though, I am thinking of going without it. It likely won't be needed. She'll be bigger by then, that's 7 months. It was such a pain in the neck getting the stroller collapsed and up into the tram taking us back to our car.

Anyway, that is my take, so what is your take? Without getting into a battle with each other, what is the main cause for the spike in strollers in the parks? Is it just more families, lazier kids, enabling parents, a younger crowd than years gone by?

Kids use strollers because they're lazy and obese? Most kids aren't the ones bringing the strollers; it's the parents. And strollers are a lot more user friendly now than they were 35 years ago. It was more of a hassle to bring one back in the day than it is now. Plus, I don't remember whether they had stroller parking back then or not. If not, there's another hassle of trying to figure out where to park the darn thing. I don't fault people for using strollers. The parks are much busier than they used to be. It would be easy for a small child to get lost in a crowd. A stroller seems much safer to me.

Maccabee18

I have never felt this way or said anything to anyone about someone in a scooter. You just don't know. I have RA and am fine for now but some day you never know.

There was a guy on a bus who was apologizing for getting on first with his scooter and it was obvious he needed it.

I think the problem is that there are those who do need it, and those who don't and abuse the system. The same way before scooters that people got wheelchairs to get onto rides faster, less wait times etc etc. Its always the small bad apples that ruin the whole bunch and create the aura of sneers and judgement. People just need to be kind to one another, respect the rules in place, and live a positive and friendly life.

Alright. Let's do this.

Disney is expensive, no doubt. From 8 am to 9 pm, I want to do as much as possible to justify the cost of tickets. How am I going to do this? By telling little Timmy to hurry on his little 4 year old legs? By making him walk at 8 pm when he should be practically asleep? How about catching the bus when the fastest he can run at 9:30 pm is equal to a 100 year old tortoise?

We live in a dog-eat-dog world (Disney World, that is). I want to beat everyone to the Mine Train at Rope Drop. I want to walk quickly from Tomorrowland to Frontierland. I want to do 30 rides in a day because Gosh Darnit, I paid for it.

So, I'll take my stroller, thank you very much. I paid to be here. I don't want to spend 75% of my day in lines and walking between rides.

I can imagine that "back in the day" people were a little more relaxed at Disney World. They took their time between rides (which did NOT have 3 hour waits BTW). They let Little Timmy walk because they weren't in a hurry.

I want to make most of my day(s) at Disney. Sue me.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaklgreen

Alright. Let's do this.

Disney is expensive, no doubt. From 8 am to 9 pm, I want to do as much as possible to justify the cost of tickets. How am I going to do this? By telling little Timmy to hurry up on his little 4 year old legs? By making him walk at 8 pm when he should be practically asleep? How about catching the bus when the fastest he can run at 9:30 pm is equal to a 100 year old tortoise?

We live in a dog-eat-dog world (Disney World, that is). I want to beat everyone to the Mine Train at Rope Drop. I want to walk quickly from Tomorrowland to Frontierland. I want to do 30 rides in a day because Gosh Darnit, I paid for it.

So, I'll take my stroller, thank you very much. I paid to be here. I don't want to spend 75% of my day in lines and walking between rides.

I can imagine that "back in the day" people were a little more relaxed at Disney World. They took their time between rides (which did NOT have 3 hour waits BTW). They let Little Timmy walk because they weren't in a hurry.

I want to make most of my day(s) at Disney. Sue me.

You made me laugh out loud. LOL Have a great vacation!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Goofyernmost

I think the problem is that there are those who do need it, and those who don't and abuse the system. The same way before scooters that people got wheelchairs to get onto rides faster, less wait times etc etc. Its always the small bad apples that ruin the whole bunch and create the aura of sneers and judgement. People just need to be kind to one another, respect the rules in place, and live a positive and friendly life.
Except that wasn't true. The time waiting with a wheelchair was sometimes twice, or more, as long because there are only so many people needing assistance that can ride the rides at the same time in case of an emergency evacuation being necessary. I can vouch for the fact that sometimes those waits were very long. Now with the new system there is nothing to be gained by it, so if it happens, well those folks are in for a big surprise. Scooters took care of a different degree of need. If someone has a scooter it is automatically stating that they are, at least, temporarily mobile and can get from scooter to the ride, but, may have some limitations as to how long they can walk or stand. Big difference and one that allowed people to actually enjoy the parks until everyone decided that it was their job to determine who needs one and who doesn't. There is no gained ground any longer and all it did was cost them a lot of energy and money to use the scooter. I can also tell you, from experience that those things may seem like a fun thing to do, but, the fun wears off really quickly.

Rebel_

I have zero intention of taking any breaks in the parks. Time is money and I’m not touring at the smallest person’s pace. If I leave the park without having experienced something it won’t be because we couldn’t book it over there fast enough. (Test Track, I’m looking at you.)

Minnesota disney fan

While it is a lot of walking in the theme parks, it has been this way for many many years. Yet we still see an increase in strollers and also the age the people are putting their children in strollers has also increased. Are you saying that an 8 year old now is physically incapable of walking but 20 years ago they somehow had the skill to? I have kids that are teens now and have been going annually for since they were 1 and 2. We stopped using a stroller for them when they were 5. I think the bigger problem is that parents do not want to adjust to the walking style of their children. You need to take is slower, have more breaks, and eat more often as they burn through energy faster. But people don't want to change their "lifestyle" when they have kids. If you were travelling with a senior that could not walk as much, would you still push grandma to go go go just because you are physically able to? That is extremely selfish. The group is only as fast as it's slowest person. So what if some of your trips you do not get to do every single thing while the kids are young. In the past parents realized this and actually where more concerned with their child enjoying themselves then worried about "doing everything". Kids that have a normal healthy lifestyle and eat good food should have no issue walking for most of the day when given the right circumstances like more breaks and good energy foods. The kids have not changed, the parenting has.

Right! We first took our kids, age 5 and 7, in 1983. The youngest walked. When the kids or us(usually us), were tired, we just Sat Down and rested for a while. Then good to go. Nothing has changed since then, except what you are talking about. Now it's, go go go because we have those darn fp's and can't miss them and have to get to the adr's or the certain show so gogogo! Also, the cost of Disney is so much more now too. It's too bad, because healthy kids can walk, and I agree you don't need those enormous back packs for a day or half day in the parks. There is food and other amenities at the parks, and lockers for coats, etc you don't want to lug around. Just MHO.

Maccabee18

Except that wasn't true. The time waiting with a wheelchair was sometimes twice, or more, as long because there are only so many people needing assistance that can ride the rides at the same time in case of an emergency evacuation being necessary. I can vouch for the fact that sometimes those waits were very long. Now with the new system there is nothing to be gained by it, so if it happens, well those folks are in for a big surprise. Scooters took care of a different degree of need. If someone has a scooter it is automatically stating that they are, at least, temporarily mobile and can get from scooter to the ride, but, may have some limitations as to how long they can walk or stand. Big difference and one that allowed people to actually enjoy the parks until everyone decided that it was their job to determine who needs one and who doesn't. There is no gained ground any longer and all it did was cost them a lot of energy and money to use the scooter. I can also tell you, from experience that those things may seem like a fun thing to do, but, the fun wears off really quickly.

I can tell you unequivocally that you are incorrect. As someone who grew up in Florida and went to Disney on multiple school and youth group trips that other kids would abuse the system with Wheelchairs. It was the thing to do as teens back then and Disney let it happen often. This is why I made the comment in the first place. And wait times for them because they were "mobile" and could get up and get into the moving vehicles got on fast many times. This was in the 90s. It wasn't until fast pass came into play that it eliminated the wheel chair lines and the need to bypass it. I have many friends who could do the whole park back in the day when wait times for rides were always 45 minutes or more and they would be on in 10-15 minutes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom