So why weren't there many strollers back in the day?

Incomudro

Why more strollers today?
Well, more people means proportionally more strollers. (More of everything.)
Today, people are more likely to bring younger children (infants for example) than they would have in days of 'yore.
In the old days, proportionally more parents would have though "He or she isn't ready yet."
"We'll go when he or she reaches ___ years of age."
Also, kids stay in strollers to a later age nowadays.
So, you've got an age range of newborns in strollers, all the way up to oh, 8 year olds in strollers.

KBLovedDisney

From my own experience, at the time you were able to walk, you walked.

If your feet hurt? Too bad.

(This isn't me being condescending to stroller usage of the past and today. This was what was taught to me and family.:rolleyes:)

Yeah...that kind of mindset wouldn't pass today...

In all honesty, I think they were a lot more of an inconvenience back then whereas now, you can use them to also store items. And cupholders. Those things are always lovely to have.

DisneyFreak

From my own experience, at the time you were able to walk, you walked.

If your feet hurt? Too bad.

(This isn't me being condescending to stroller usage of the past and today. This was what was taught to me and family.:rolleyes:)

Yeah...that kind of mindset wouldn't pass today...

In all honesty, I think they were a lot more of an inconvenience back then whereas now, you can use them to also store items. And cupholders. Those things are always lovely to have.

Yep, different times. Back in the 70's our first trip I was 8 and my sister 4 and we didn't have stollers.

NRL2003

My first trip was in 1972, a month shy of my 6th birthday. Back then the characters wandered the park. Well, every time one walked past I stopped dead in my tracks and stared. This went on all day until one time I stopped and no one noticed. I had 2 older brothers (10 and 12) and neither them nor my parents noticed me stopping. (my mother to this day can point the spot when she realized I was missing). Once they found me they made me get into a rented stroller (and those early ones were not particularly comfortable). I was miserable and hated feeling like a baby. My 10 year old brother on the other hand was jealous that he didn't fit:p To this day he is the lazy one in the family.

thomas998

It's a combination of things I think. More people now days. But also think it is because strollers are used as a storage space/moving locker now. Where as before they were pretty much just a way to secure a little kid. Strollers now days are like mini SUVs. lol

Also, I think a lot of parents now days are guilty of just putting there kids in strollers since it is easier for them. Don't have to keep an eye on them as much and don't have to make sure they are constantly holding your hand.

I also notice parents now days let kods use strollers til they are 5 or 6, even 7. When I was a kid, my mom & dad stopped bringing the stroller once we were about 3, maybe 4.

It's a sign of the times unfortunately. As a whole, society has become more lazy and self-centered since those pics were taken in 1991. Sad but true.
Makes me think the best solution for Disney would be to charge a stroller fee equal to the price of a child's ticket. It would make parents think twice about using a stroller for a 4 year old if it was going to cost and not be that big a deal for the 2 year old that was going to end up enjoying the parks as much as a paying guest. Reality is a stroller takes up as much space or more space as an adult should't the person that is taking up space pay something for doing it?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Makes me think the best solution for Disney would be to charge a stroller fee equal to the price of a child's ticket. It would make parents think twice about using a stroller for a 4 year old if it was going to cost and not be that big a deal for the 2 year old that was going to end up enjoying the parks as much as a paying guest. Reality is a stroller takes up as much space or more space as an adult should't the person that is taking up space pay something for doing it?
I honestly think if Disney wanted to make the “stroller situation” much less of a problem they could very prominently list size restrictions for strollers when booking and buying tickets and then actually enforce them. IMHO the volume of strollers isn’t as a big of an issue as the size of some of these things. To combine our plans maybe go the way of the airlines with an oversized bag. If you want to bring in a reasonable stroller it’s free but if you bring an oversized one there is a sizable upcharge (something well in excess of the rental cost should discourage almost anyone).

The real issue is I’m not sure Disney a) sees strollers as a problem and b) would ever consider confronting guests over it even if they did. On point A Disney has gone out of their way to widen paths and build larger stroller parking areas. They see strollers as allowing guests with really small children to visit and those with smaller children the opportunity to stay in the parks longer which of course leads to more spending. On point B Disney added chips to drink cups to avoid confronting guests who were committing a crime and stealing soda from machines at the resorts. They absolutely have no interest in empowering front line CMs to confront guests on pretty much anything that’s not directly related to safety so they will never regulate stroller size.

thomas998

I honestly think if Disney wanted to make the “stroller situation” much less of a problem they could very prominently list size restrictions for strollers when booking and buying tickets and then actually enforce them. IMHO the volume of strollers isn’t as a big of an issue as the size of some of these things. To combine our plans maybe go the way of the airlines with an oversized bag. If you want to bring in a reasonable stroller it’s free but if you bring an oversized one there is a sizable upcharge (something well in excess of the rental cost should discourage almost anyone).

The real issue is I’m not sure Disney a) sees strollers as a problem and b) would ever consider confronting guests over it even if they did. On point A Disney has gone out of their way to widen paths and build larger stroller parking areas. They see strollers as allowing guests with really small children to visit and those with smaller children the opportunity to stay in the parks longer which of course leads to more spending. On point B Disney added chips to drink cups to avoid confronting guests who were committing a crime and stealing soda from machines at the resorts. They absolutely have no interest in empowering front line CMs to confront guests on pretty much anything that’s not directly related to safety so they will never regulate stroller size.
I agree that Disney doesn't see the strollers as a problem... and unfortunately that is because the fire marshal setting the rules on capacity doesn't take into account strollers in their formula only the open space. And that isn't likely to ever change until such time as there is some big emergency that requires people to leave an area of Disney as quickly as possible and people die because of the large stroller fortresses that clog many areas of the park.

donaldtoo

This has probably already been posted here about 87 times, but, it bears repeating...!!!!! :hilarious:;)

AC8AAA62-F65A-4556-A90C-2B1DAFE8D7AA.png

pdiddy

I haven’t got an issue with prams(strollers) or scooters but I have an issue when you get hit by them or they block everywhere up.
Perhaps they should have an designated area where you could leave them get your children out for a bit then go back later if needed to collect it. So if nap needed etc. Those little ones and scooters that were needed would have more room as well as the walkers.
A bit like a parking area for prams away from the main thoroughfare.

Goofyernmost

I haven’t got an issue with prams(strollers) or scooters but I have an issue when you get hit by them or they block everywhere up.
Perhaps they should have an designated area where you could leave them get your children out for a bit then go back later if needed to collect it. So if nap needed etc. Those little ones and scooters that were needed would have more room as well as the walkers.
A bit like a parking area for prams away from the main thoroughfare.
I have a problem with people that are so entitled that they think that everyone else has to watch out for them instead of being proactive and making sure they don't put themselves in harms way. I have been going to WDW for over 35 years. Never have I been run into by a stroller or scooter. I have been hit by more then one of those 'I brought my whole household with me' backpacks though. The reason why I have never been hit by the others is that I know where I am walking and what is behind me. To me it is the same as crossing the street without looking to see if someone is coming or not. You step in the way and then complain that they ran into you when in reality YOU ran into them. I've seen it over and over. They may have a stroller or whatever, but, they, like you are still pedestrians and there is no such thing as automatic right of way. Look where you are going, check for danger and avoid ever getting hit by anything other then pivoting brain dead backpackers.

KBLovedDisney

Darned right, when we crashed we just broke a bone, got a cast and skated some more... God forbid a kid scrapes his knee today the poor kid will be in the intensive care unit for weeks until the scab falls off.
There was one point in time that my siblings decided my kid-size short stature was good usage in being something they could rollerblade jump over. Lo and behold, I was used as a rollerblading prop. Apparently, no one else saw the harm in that.
:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom