so, which smell/sound

Rora

For me it's the smell of popcorn and the bakeries on Main Street as well. On an odd side note...I realized on my last visit that the monorail cars smell like the Elephant house at our local zoo. It kinda grossed me out but amused me at the same time.

RedBaron

Jason21783 said:
I also have to agree. I love those funky smells on Spaceship Earth.

Latley, its been our habit to get to Orlando mid afternoon. And I like to save the "first official morning" for the MK, so we head to Epcot that first day, and Spaceship Earth first. I love sitting in there, smelling those smells, thinking, "I was in Chicago this morning, and now I'm on SSE".

The sound that lets me know I've arrived has to be the background noise in Tommorrow Land: The TTA anouncements, the Space Mountain bg music. I love it.
You have read my mind (it must be a Chicago thing :wave: I always love the smell of Rome burning in SSE and it is also the first thing I go on the day we get there. It is almost a relief and always think the same thing "I was in Chicago this morning, and now I'm on SSE". I also love the smell of PotC/IASW. And it may sound silly but think Florida itself has a smell. Some warm mornings here sometimes I say "Oh, smells like Florida out today"?

DONALDisMYhero

I don't really have a smell/ sound... but I keep remembering just walking to EPCOT, getting off the bus and walking under the trees while it was raining to the ticket stands..:rolleyes:

Fantasmic!329

I love all the smells and sounds in WDW.
Some of fav. smells are:
[most have been noted before]
* Any attraction water (PotC, IASW, Maelstrom, etc.)
* Transportation vechiles (sp??)
* Hotel rooms
* Hotel pools (love that smell!!!!)
* Columbia Harbour House
* Pretty much anything else.
Some of my fav. sounds are:
[most have been noted before]
* Monorail horn
* Mariachis (sp??) in Mexico
* SpectroM
* "How Do You Do" song from SplM
* Monorail spiel (Please stand clear...)
* BTMRR spiel (...wildest ride in the wilderness!)
* CoP spiel (...You're in for a real treat...)
* Pretty much any ride spiel

*PlutoFan*

Smells would be:
~walking into the beach club lobby getting ready to check-in, it just has that fresh i'm here smell!
~monorail cars
~the water smell on all the water rides and the stinky handles on splash mountian

Sounds would be:
~walking into any of the parks on that first day and just hearing the background music
~screaming from ToT
~Tomorrowland music like the TTA announcements(now entering space mountain...love that) and the music in Space Mountain
~the monorail announcements!(please stand clear of the doors, one of my favorite things ever!)
~waking up that first morning and hearing the boat horn departing the dock, thats an i'm here sound!

i wish i was there now!

GSpiff

It's weird how many people have said the water from the rides, yet no one mentioned the water in the hotels. For me, that smell totally does it.
My favorite sound, that is unfortunately no longer there, the Zip oh dee do Dah tips for the day on Resort TV.

ruca

Favorite Smells:

I am with everyone else on the burning Rome ruins in SSE and the orange smell on Horizons. I miss that ride so much. I also love the smell of Splash Mountain and the smell of the fireworks during Illuminations.

My favorite sounds are the 'spooky sounds' coming from outside of the Haunted Mansion, SpectroMagic and Illuminations music, the music from the River of Time in the Mexican pavilion and the sounds of the roller coaster. In all honesty, I love it all-I need to get back there!

GolferQn

1. the smell of the lobby at the Boardwalk

2. the sound of the boat at typhoon lagoon, warning of the waves coming

3. the monorail announcement

4. the smell of popcorn in the parks

5. rome burning

6. the smell of the water rides

7. the sound of people screaming on Tower of Terror

DisneyNirvana

I definitely agree with Joey! The sulfur smell of the water at WDW does it for me, as well as the hotel rooms and also the lobby of Wilderness Lodge. This resort has become our "summer home". We always dreamed of living in a luxury log cabin and WL allows us to experience that theme. In about 9 weeks, we'll be back there again but this time.....we're staying in a 1 BR Villa at the Villas of Wilderness Lodge!!!

I can just imagine it.......walking up to the front entrance and the doors go "whoosh". Then it hits you....the cool air conditioned breeze and unmistakable fragrance of the lobby. I could be blind folded at that moment, yet I would know where I was.

The Polynesian's lobby has a very distinguishable fragrance, too. It is unmistakenly Disney.

tinkerbellish

The sign as you enter WDW Property is always the first adrenline rush for me- such a welcome sight that it never fails to bring tears to my eyes! :eek:

The waterfall in the lobby at the Polynesian, the monorail speil, the first look down Main Street USA at the Castle, coupled with the smell of popcorn, seeing all the wee ones wearing their brand-spanking new pairs of mouse ears- and the magical looks on their faces- that's when I truly know I am back at the happiest place on earth!

Laura

Premium Member
I'm just too overwhelmed with thoughts to reply to this. Too many awesome smells at Disney! Even the smells that would be gross to us at home (like burning Rome and stale chlorinated water) smell so good at Disneyworld.

Thunder5921

I also love the smell of popcorn and the bakeries. But I think my favorite sound would have to be the kids being so happy to see their favorite Disney character.

LMW

I love the smell of the roasted almonds cart in Epcot by the two souvenier shops in world showcase, and the smell of the water from the dancing fountain. The smell of the Japanese steakhouse is one that I can never forget. I also love hearing the music playing while you are entering the parks. And (I know its kind of wierd but...) I love hearing the sound of the buses stopping to pick people up when I wake up in my hotel room in the morning. Its then that I know I am in WDW. And I agree with the earlier post about the "Zip a dee do da... Tip for today" commercial that used to play over and over.... I could never get that out of my head!

astewart

Favorite smell - The smell of the Florida air when I walk off the plane into the catwalk thing that goes into the airport.

Favorite sound - The captian on the airplane telling us we are in florida, and it's hot and sunny!

Tom

Beta Return
As for Smells: someone mentioned the hotel room air conditioning, which really doesn't do it for me - however, the ONE smell that really tells me I'm in WDW is their building air conditioning. When we walk into the lobby of DIxie Landings and that Disney AC hits me, I know I'm there. It has the same smell all over property, in all the buildings. I could get technical and say it's really just a mixture of humid Florida air being cooled by a Central Cooling Tower system, but that's just not the same as saying its Disney AC! It never gets that humid in Indiana, and nowhere I go has that type of AC system here, so I only occasionally get a whif in my car when i first start it on a humid summer day - and just for a split second!!!

MK also has that specific popcorn smell that is unlike any other popcorn!

Also, the smell of the Diesel exhaust. We used to ride the trams a lot when i was younger, because we always drove in. Psychologically, I associated that diesel exhaust smell with being at WDW - and to this day, when I walk past a city bus or other large vehicle spewing exhaust, I get a flash vision of being there!

As for sounds, I think I'll have to go with general music loops. NO matter where you are, you are hearing a music loop of some sort. We don't get that here either, haha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom