So What's The Mysterious "Third IP" Coming to DHS?

ToTBellHop

I hope the DHS Tower of Terror also gets the Guardians treatment. I think it will fit much better and the 5th Dimension room adds the possibility for a show scene with animatronics and effects happening on all sides. Then you have Toy Story Land, Muppet Plaza, Star Wars Land, Marvel Universe, and the entry Hollywood area. Sounds almost too perfect.
Delete your account.

Professortango1

And why is that, pray? Do tell us before you delete your account.

Horror works best when peering through something with limited visibility. We see this in horror films, Haunted Mansion takes advantage of this, it's pretty standard. Being a horror attraction, both versions of TOT work. You are trapped, backed in a corner, and the doors keep opening on spooky tableaus. There's a stillness to them, that's why they are small by design. It's a creepy vignette where we see unusual things before the doors close on us wondering what we just saw and experienced. Each time the doors open there is fear. This fear eventually pays off with the view of the heights you have ascended.

Guardians is not horror based, but action based. It puts the guests into a high energy prison break with blasters and such. With DCA's limited design, our experience will be limited to having the doors open and seeing mayhem on the floor. We aren't amongst the mayhem, we're just seeing it unfold. With WDW's attraction, the 5th Dimension Room gives us the chance to be in the cross fire. We need to escape the current shaft while the Guardians provide cover and we make our way to the escape hatch. The trackless design also means that we can face to our right watching a scene unfold and then the car reacts by turning and seeing the 2nd half of the scene on the left. This allows for two different coordinated show scenes to unfold around the guests. The bottom of the drop shaft also has the space to feature a Groot and Rocket AA if wanted whereas the DCA version is boxed in with the car occupying all of the space.

DCA offers a limited retheme reliant on projection and sound whereas the WDW Tower can expand that into a full attraction because they have the room for Animatronics, an exit scene, and vehicle movement to put guests in the middle of the action rather than watching from the corner.

I also think WDW's biggest problem right now is the lack of rides that appeal to teens and young adults. I spoke with many Florida residents upset with the new Mine Train coaster because they thought Disney was finally going to give them a reason to revisit them instead of Universal. While I love TOT, I do think an explosion filled superhero attraction would appeal to them more. Also, a Guardians ride seems to fall right in line with the revamp of the Studio park. Star Wars, Toy Story, Muppets...90% of the park will be based upon IP based lands. It seems odd to have the Hollywood themed entry area expand to also feature 2 attractions. I'd much rather see Disney use the area surrounding TOT as a Superhero based area that outshines Universal. With Disney California Adventure being so tied to California imagery and settings, such a large Studio park style attraction seems out of place.

FigmentForver96

Horror works best when peering through something with limited visibility. We see this in horror films, Haunted Mansion takes advantage of this, it's pretty standard. Being a horror attraction, both versions of TOT work. You are trapped, backed in a corner, and the doors keep opening on spooky tableaus. There's a stillness to them, that's why they are small by design. It's a creepy vignette where we see unusual things before the doors close on us wondering what we just saw and experienced. Each time the doors open there is fear. This fear eventually pays off with the view of the heights you have ascended.

Guardians is not horror based, but action based. It puts the guests into a high energy prison break with blasters and such. With DCA's limited design, our experience will be limited to having the doors open and seeing mayhem on the floor. We aren't amongst the mayhem, we're just seeing it unfold. With WDW's attraction, the 5th Dimension Room gives us the chance to be in the cross fire. We need to escape the current shaft while the Guardians provide cover and we make our way to the escape hatch. The trackless design also means that we can face to our right watching a scene unfold and then the car reacts by turning and seeing the 2nd half of the scene on the left. This allows for two different coordinated show scenes to unfold around the guests. The bottom of the drop shaft also has the space to feature a Groot and Rocket AA if wanted whereas the DCA version is boxed in with the car occupying all of the space.

DCA offers a limited retheme reliant on projection and sound whereas the WDW Tower can expand that into a full attraction because they have the room for Animatronics, an exit scene, and vehicle movement to put guests in the middle of the action rather than watching from the corner.

I also think WDW's biggest problem right now is the lack of rides that appeal to teens and young adults. I spoke with many Florida residents upset with the new Mine Train coaster because they thought Disney was finally going to give them a reason to revisit them instead of Universal. While I love TOT, I do think an explosion filled superhero attraction would appeal to them more. Also, a Guardians ride seems to fall right in line with the revamp of the Studio park. Star Wars, Toy Story, Muppets...90% of the park will be based upon IP based lands. It seems odd to have the Hollywood themed entry area expand to also feature 2 attractions. I'd much rather see Disney use the area surrounding TOT as a Superhero based area that outshines Universal. With Disney California Adventure being so tied to California imagery and settings, such a large Studio park style attraction seems out of place.
So we should SLOWLY progress through an action scene before the drop and having the cars just turn left and right isn't a simple matter. That would take some major reworking actually and defeating the entire reason they wanted to throw it on the tower to begin with.

Professortango1

While I appreciate and support the idea of a superhero attraction that appeals to thrill seekers, I would propose that that need can be satisfied w/o replacing one of WDI's better efforts at WDW.

There's plenty of space at DHS to build multiple new attractions. That park needs a net gain in rides.

I agree. I was just thinking that Disney is looking to reskin rather than rebuild to save time and money, plus it balances out DHS. It also eliminates the Twilight Zone licencing and boosts Disney sales just like Disney wants. And it fits here better than Epcot.

Professortango1

Where do these people come from? I truly believe this must be one man with multiple accounts.

DHS tower is safe for now. Hate to burst the bubble.....I actually enjoy busting it.

I know it's safe, just saying it would be a better fit than California's Tower and fits in DHS much better than Epcot. I'm just hoping DHS gives Tower a lengthy refurbishment to update the attraction after Star Wars Land opens. The ride feels dated already, and with brand new cutting edge attractions in the same park, it isn't going to help that fact.

Professortango1

So we should SLOWLY progress through an action scene before the drop and having the cars just turn left and right isn't a simple matter. That would take some major reworking actually and defeating the entire reason they wanted to throw it on the tower to begin with.

The reason was functional as well as thematic. It was a great way to increase capacity on a standard drop ride. I'm not saying a retheme is perfect, I'm saying the Guardians attraction seems to fit the original Tower much better than DCA's limited design. I understand it not being a popular opinion as many don't want to lose the original Tower and close their ears, I'm just saying it would be a better fit.

Goofyernmost

I agree. I was just thinking that Disney is looking to reskin rather than rebuild to save time and money, plus it balances out DHS. It also eliminates the Twilight Zone licencing and boosts Disney sales just like Disney wants. And it fits here better than Epcot.
Yup, that would be a wise business move. Tear out a known winner like ToT for a possible good attraction when there is a huge building with massive room for some very creative things that could be established in an existing attraction that long since has stopped being a major draw. That's not to say it isn't still liked, because I still love Ellens Adventure (so much better then the original and I don't care how fancy the preshow was, it was still nothing more then an Exxon Commercial). However, something new and creative in that place with some type of environmental theme would work in Epcot and work very well. I know nothing about Guardians and I don't care enough about it to even look it up, but, as I have seen many times, I don't have to know the history, but, if it is done well I will enjoy it.

FigmentForver96

I know it's safe, just saying it would be a better fit than California's Tower and fits in DHS much better than Epcot. I'm just hoping DHS gives Tower a lengthy refurbishment to update the attraction after Star Wars Land opens. The ride feels dated already, and with brand new cutting edge attractions in the same park, it isn't going to help that fact.
How is Tower dated? I'm sorry but there is nothing major you can change that would alter it. It doesn't need large doses of 21 century tech because that wouldn't be fitting. The biggest thing is maybe some updates to the 5th dimension scenes but even those are not just awful and it still stands as the crowning jewel of what the company can truly accomplish.

Professortango1

How is Tower dated? I'm sorry but there is nothing major you can change that would alter it. It doesn't need large doses of 21 century tech because that wouldn't be fitting. The biggest thing is maybe some updates to the 5th dimension scenes but even those are not just awful and it still stands as the crowning jewel of what the company can truly accomplish.

I'd just like to see updates to the 5th Dimension Room, add an ending moment for the hallway scene, and a better effect to end on than the silent projection. The bones are great, the 5th dimension room just didn't work with the static plastic figures, the hanging signs bobbing in the breeze, and funky projection had no energy to me.

Of course, that was just our personal experience with our group.

Rteetz

I'd just like to see updates to the 5th Dimension Room, add an ending moment for the hallway scene, and a better effect to end on than the silent projection. The bones are great, the 5th dimension room just didn't work with the static plastic figures, the hanging signs bobbing in the breeze, and funky projection had no energy to me.

Of course, that was just our personal experience with our group.
I went on ToT for the first time in 2015. For an attraction that opened 22 years ago I thought it was fantastic.

Professortango1

Yup, that would be a wise business move. Tear out a known winner like ToT for a possible good attraction when there is a huge building with massive room for some very creative things that could be established in an existing attraction that long since has stopped being a major draw. That's not to say it isn't still liked, because I still love Ellens Adventure (so much better then the original and I don't care how fancy the preshow was, it was still nothing more then an Exxon Commercial). However, something new and creative in that place with some type of environmental theme would work in Epcot and work very well. I know nothing about Guardians and I don't care enough about it to even look it up, but, as I have seen many times, I don't have to know the history, but, if it is done well I will enjoy it.

That's the current plan for Anaheim. There's plenty of room for a Guardians attraction, but instead they are removing DCA's most popular Disney level E-ticket.

Professortango1

I went on ToT for the first time in 2015. For an attraction that opened 22 years ago I thought it was fantastic.

Oh yeah, it's still a great attraction and very fun. Amongst the WDW line up, it fits in very well as one of their ambitious attractions. We're just used to a lot of the updated version of WDW attractions at DLR, so the differences between the newer effects and soundtrack at DCA stood out to us.

Goofyernmost

That's the current plan for Anaheim. There's plenty of room for a Guardians attraction, but instead they are removing DCA's most popular Disney level E-ticket.
Always remember and don't ever forget... WDW and DCA are not even close to being the same thing, same management and same need to fix other places before building something new. I know that there is a lot of talk about adding attractions for crowd control, but, first fix what is there and then worry about changing things that don't need to be changed. That is pretty much what they did with DCA.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Haha. Sorry, but I find the WDW version is much better suited to becoming an action adventure attraction such as Guardians than the limited design of the DCA version. Plus, the WDW version could definitely use an update regardless.
What about a radical idea of building something new for GotG? Or have things got so bad we expect a makeover now ??

The IP does not belong on Sunset.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom