So This Is Love: A 2010 Princess Half Marathon Trip Report!

Hi everyone! We returned almost two weeks ago from a quick weekend stay at Disney’s Pop Century resort, March 5-8. I swear, I finish one trip report and it’s time to turn around and start another one. :D Seeing that my last report hasn’t moved down the page too far, I’m going to be brief with the introductions, as I think many of you might “know” us by now!

I’m Holly, and traveling with me is my love, Brett. Here we are ringing in 2010 from sea:

IMG_2234.jpg

That picture was taken approximately 4 days after we signed up for the 2010 Princess Half Marathon! Now, I’m not a very princess-y girl and tiaras and sparkle really aren’t my thing. But after seeing the character pictures from last year’s inaugural event, the thought of meeting Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy, Pluto, Chip and Dale in their royal attire had me sold. Therefore, we’d been talking about this as a possibility since sometime last summer; however, we didn’t actually pull the trigger and make it happen until the end of December. Mostly this is because the first week of March is one of the two absolute busiest weeks of my entire year at work. Pretty much everything I do leads up to a week long event and then tapers off from it twice a year. Because of this I knew the only way to make it happen would be to leave after work on Friday and come home Monday (taking only one day off). When we got home from our cruise we made resort reservations, secured some ADRs, and started setting the plan in motion. Oh yeah… and we talked about a training schedule. Can’t forget that! :lol:

Speaking of training… :lookaroun Does anyone remember how well prepared we were for the 2009 Marathon?!? I’m not going to go back and count, but I’m sure there were numerous times throughout that trip report that I swore I’d never go into another one of these events under trained… yada, yada, yada. Yeah… about that. :rolleyes: The motivation to train in the cold weather we’ve been having just wasn’t there. I know, I know, we live in South Carolina... hardly the harsh weather many others have been dealing with. Plus, I’ll admit, neither one of us was truly respecting the distance, considering we’d already conquered a full 26.2 miles, it wasn’t hard for us to tell ourselves we’d be okay pushing through a “measly” 13.1. I’m sitting here shaking my head at myself as I type this.

Anywhoo… enough about our pathetic attempts at training, let’s get on to the good stuff. One thing is for sure, Brett was a real sport about it all. From the beginning, months ago, when I asked him if he’d be willing to run a race geared towards women all the way to the finish line where he’d endured my countless references to him as Princess Brett.

So this is love!!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Holly as always, awesome report!!! Thank you for sharing... Glad to see that you started to feel better as the trip went on!

Thanks, Reese!! I think running knocked the cold right out of me. :lol: Maybe we'll cross paths in December... have fun surprising your son!!

popsicletrees

I am just now getting to read your trip report! Let me first say that I love this shot of you and Minnie! Again, another great report, Holly! You've definitely inspired me to try a marathon at Disney at some point. I'm really interested in doing the Wine & Dine Half. I know that I could talk Jordan into going again if it meant that he would have a running partner for awhile. I don't know if you mentioned this already or not, but how do they determine what running block you are in before the race starts?

sleepybear

OK, Holly, not only do you take photos that are a gazillion times better than mine, but you and Brett get to go to the World so much more than me. I can live with that. But what you did in this trip report is simply unacceptable: You made it look incredibly fun to run in a Disney event. Like, so much fun that it would be a shame to miss out on doing it at least once. Which means that I'm going to have to try it at some point. Which means running much further than the three miles I can do now. Which means a lot of time on the treadmill. Curse you!

In all seriousness, though, great report as usual. It's easy to see how much fun you two have there because it comes out in your photos. (Loving the Fozzie ones, by the way.) Well done! Maybe I'll see you at a half-marathon when I actually have the stamina to run one. That should be in about, oh, 2015.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Holly, as always great trip report!!!! I also completed the princess marathon and it was a complete blast.......:)

Thanks, Disney29! Was this your first race? If so, are you in the "one and done" camp or are you totally hooked?!

You're really good at this. If I sent you my pics, would you do trippies for me?

Hmmm... can I actually go on the trip with you?!? :lol: Thanks!

Fantastic report. You take such brilliant photo's. Congratulations on completing the Marathon!

Thank you, Princess Clayre!

I am just now getting to read your trip report! Let me first say that I love this shot of you and Minnie! Again, another great report, Holly! You've definitely inspired me to try a marathon at Disney at some point. I'm really interested in doing the Wine & Dine Half. I know that I could talk Jordan into going again if it meant that he would have a running partner for awhile. I don't know if you mentioned this already or not, but how do they determine what running block you are in before the race starts?

Thanks, Rachel! You should totally sign up for a Disney race. I recommend everyone at least try it once if they can. They're so much fun, and quite addicting, actually.

As for the running blocks (corrals), you're assigned to them based on your projected finish time (which has to be confirmed by a former race). Therefore, to get in the earlier corrals you have to submit a "proof of time" from a previous race (10K or longer I believe). Even though we didn't do well "time-wise" in the 2009 marathon, I think Brett and I could have submitted that time to move up to at least the D corral. Anyone who registers but doesn't submit a proof of time is, from my understanding, automatically placed in the last start corral. If maintaining a certain pace is important to you throughout the entirety of the race, it's definitely worth it to complete a local 10K or something else so you can submit a time and move up. Starting in the last corral makes it nearly impossible to maintain pace due to all the walkers and folks doing a run/walk pattern. We were undertrained and perfectly okay with being in the back of this one because I was more comfortable with having to work my way around people than I would have been if I was the one more serious runners were trying to get around.

OK, Holly, not only do you take photos that are a gazillion times better than mine, but you and Brett get to go to the World so much more than me. I can live with that. But what you did in this trip report is simply unacceptable: You made it look incredibly fun to run in a Disney event. Like, so much fun that it would be a shame to miss out on doing it at least once. Which means that I'm going to have to try it at some point. Which means running much further than the three miles I can do now. Which means a lot of time on the treadmill. Curse you!

In all seriousness, though, great report as usual. It's easy to see how much fun you two have there because it comes out in your photos. (Loving the Fozzie ones, by the way.) Well done! Maybe I'll see you at a half-marathon when I actually have the stamina to run one. That should be in about, oh, 2015.

I must admit I really can't apologize for making you want to do a Disney race, Todd. They're so totally worth all the pain and agony! And hey, if you can already complete 3 miles without stopping to walk you are lightyears ahead of where I was when I started "training."

2015 is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too far off! You know, with a solid 3 mile base already, you could totally be ready for the Wine and Dine Half this October... and I know you're a Food and Wine guy. :D Have I got you fully talked into it yet?!

And thanks for the compliments on my pictures and reporting style.

lbrad

We busted into Epcot near the Art of Disney store… woohooo, Future World! We’re in the homestretch now. We saw Suzy and Perla as we hit the out-and-back turning point where World Showcase and Future World converge. I’ll admit these weren't the mice I was looking for, and I was a little disappointed as this location was my “last hope” for a large group of characters. And hopefully, the classics. But it looks like this wasn’t the day.

P3070061.jpg

We made our way back past SSE and out into the parking lot, where mile marker 13 and a gospel choir were waiting for us:

P3070062.jpg

P3070063.jpg

We picked it up to a run as we came into the finish chute, where we saw Donald and Goofy up ahead. They were clapping and waving to all the runners passing by. Brett and I, of course, stopped. Really, what’s the difference between a 3:06 finish time and 3:07?! Without further ado, I give you my favorite character picture from the race, Regal Donald and Jester Goofy… now this is what I'm talking about... and I just love that you can see the finish line in the background. :sohappy:

P3070064.jpg

Had we thought about it before moving on and crossing the finish line, Brett and I might have asked the CM if they were switching out with anyone and how long it’d be – I kid you not. Knowing us, we would’ve waited had we just thought to ask. :ROFLOL:

With that we took off and crossed the finish line at a run! That feeling of accomplishment really is exhilarating. Brett took a fun picture of me receiving my medal from one of the young volunteers.

P3070065.jpg

My legs were cramping up because we’d finally stopped, but we bypassed the med tent anyway in search of post race party characters. We grabbed some bottled water in the “food” tent and took off for the family reunion area. It was packed with people and the only characters we saw were Cinderella and Ariel (with feet not a fin). The lines were incredibly long, as family members were also in the area and the princesses were clearly taking their time with each family. Overall, I was really surprised because from what we saw, Jasmine, Aurora, and Snow White were nowhere to be found... not on the course, nor in the post race area. I know we had some really rotten luck with timing during this race, but I was quite surprised.

We took a quick self-portrait and made our way to the car.

P3070067.jpg

Next up... a full day. After all the day was just getting started seeing that it was only 9:30 am!!

CONGRATULATIONS to both of you!!!!!!
I have enjoyed your TR !!!!
I am hoping to do a Disney Half Marathon.
I'm not a "runner"; do excercise/walk regularly...I'm trying to pick up the pace...but I'm not getting any younger (44):shrug:
Thank You for sharing your TR...love lt & all the photos!!!:sohappy:

SamnDawn060304

You write the best trip reports I have ever read, they bring a little tear to my eye just like when I see the castle for the first time each trip. :wave:

Disneyfalcon

I'm so late seeing this one! It was awesome! Your pictures are wonderful! I still cringe when I remember your marathon experience and dreading the bus steps after you were done!:lol: I'm glad this one was better!

I'm sorry you didn't see all the characters, but you got some great ones!:sohappy:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
It's been awhile since I checked this thread... sorry for the late replies!

CONGRATULATIONS to both of you!!!!!!
I have enjoyed your TR !!!!
I am hoping to do a Disney Half Marathon.
I'm not a "runner"; do excercise/walk regularly...I'm trying to pick up the pace...but I'm not getting any younger (44):shrug:
Thank You for sharing your TR...love lt & all the photos!!!:sohappy:

Thanks, lbrad. I'm not a "runner" either. No, seriously, I mean that. So you can totally do it. The January half marathon, which usually fills up by April of the prior year, is still only 50% full... you should totally consider it!!

You write the best trip reports I have ever read, they bring a little tear to my eye just like when I see the castle for the first time each trip. :wave:

Awww, thanks Dawn. I appreciate the kind words, because I really do have just as much fun writing them!

I'm so late seeing this one! It was awesome! Your pictures are wonderful! I still cringe when I remember your marathon experience and dreading the bus steps after you were done!:lol: I'm glad this one was better!

I'm sorry you didn't see all the characters, but you got some great ones!:sohappy:

I still cringe over the bus steps myself. :ROFLOL:
Getting the shot of Donald and Goofy at the end made up for missing the mice in the MK.

tink65

Holly, I just read your trip report and am so inspired! Congrats on your success!!! I currently run about 2.7 miles (with hills) 5 days a week. I don't know if I could ever run 13 miles but I would love to train for next years Princess 1/2! Right now I'm nursing torn ligaments in my ankle. I've completed 3 weeks of physical therapy and have another week (hopefully just one more) with a brace on before I see Dr. again. Keep your fingers crossed that the ankle is healed and I can resume my routine! I totally miss running! Who knows, maybe I'll see you & Brett next year!

meeskamickey

As always, GREAT trip report!!! Your pictures are always amazing. Thanks for the wonderful report!! It's nice to be able to "live" through other people as I await my trip to DW (which isn't until next year:brick:)!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Holly, I just read your trip report and am so inspired! Congrats on your success!!! I currently run about 2.7 miles (with hills) 5 days a week. I don't know if I could ever run 13 miles but I would love to train for next years Princess 1/2! Right now I'm nursing torn ligaments in my ankle. I've completed 3 weeks of physical therapy and have another week (hopefully just one more) with a brace on before I see Dr. again. Keep your fingers crossed that the ankle is healed and I can resume my routine! I totally miss running! Who knows, maybe I'll see you & Brett next year!

Hi, tink65! :wave: I hope your PT is going well and you're back out there running again in no time. I must admit, I've only gotten out there myself a few times since March. I don't have a legitimate reason though, it's been pure laziness. :rolleyes: I need to pick it back up. You should totally do one of the Disney events!

As always, GREAT trip report!!! Your pictures are always amazing. Thanks for the wonderful report!! It's nice to be able to "live" through other people as I await my trip to DW (which isn't until next year:brick:)!

Thanks, meeskamickey! I love living vicariously through other people's reports myself. You'll be back at Disney World before you know it!

tink65

Hi, tink65! :wave: I hope your PT is going well and you're back out there running again in no time. I must admit, I've only gotten out there myself a few times since March. I don't have a legitimate reason though, it's been pure laziness. :rolleyes: I need to pick it back up. You should totally do one of the Disney events!

Thanks, meeskamickey! I love living vicariously through other people's reports myself. You'll be back at Disney World before you know it!

Hey HollyBelle, PT went great and I'm back to normal. At least my definition of normal! HA! Up to 3.5 miles now! Doesn't sound like alot but I'm getting there. Running my first 5K tomorrow June 5th! Wish me luck! I saw an ad for the Wine&Dine in October and I know you mentioned it in your TR....going for it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom