So I cant visit the resorts now unless I have a dining reservation?

RaveOnEd

In this photo of a small model train set, in the photo above you can see a pic of Walt riding on the model railroad set at his home.

View attachment 475820
Thank you so much for posting these! We last went in 2018, 8 months after my Father passed. I got my love of trains as passed down from my Father's side of the family, with the Great Grandfather and Grandfather working on the Baltimore and Ohio, my Father collecting and running all scales. I did the Magic Behind The Steam Trains Tour then as well and wanted to get over to Boulder Ridge a little after that to see these, but met up with my wife and daughter in MK, never getting there.

One of our return trips I'll see these. But this works great for now, being able to see what's there, thank you!

CaptainAmerica

Except that a lobby has more places to spend money - shops, bars, restaurants. Pools may have a bar, but that's about it. I guess we'll see in 1 month.
I wasn't making a prediction. I said "I wish." I think there's zero chance of them actually doing it.

That is an interesting take on the matter. Here is my take and I hope you won't find it offensive.
When I resort hop, I really don't care one bit if my presence annoys you. Seems that is your issue, not mine. It is a public space and I do enjoy visiting other resorts, trying the different restaurants and lounges, shopping at the resort gift shops and just viewing the grounds, partly to determine if I might like to stay there in the future. (Of course that only takes one visit, not multiple visits.)
Here is the flip side...if you visit a resort I am staying at, your visit does not annoy me at all. Actually never gave it a second thought.
I never said I was offended by it, I just consider it gauche. It's the same reaction many people had when they'd see a family rolling a giant cooler through the Magic Kingdom before pulling out two pounds of lunch meat and a loaf of bread to make their own sandwiches for lunch.

Jon81uk

Let's think this through - if a group of guests is able to go to a theme park and mingle with other guests from other resorts, and they are all able to eat at various restaurants where they are also coming in contact from other resorts please explain how preventing guests from coming into a lobby will prevent the spread of disease? If attendance will be so limited already then the amount of resort hopping will also be limited. I'll bet just about anything that there will be no restrictions on visiting resorts IF you are already a Disney guest staying on property.

If person A visits Animal Kingdom and stays at Animal Kingdom Lodge, they won't see person B who went to the Magic Kingdom and stays at the Contempory, therefore limiting your exposure to strangers. If that person B then decides to go over to AKL for a wander round then they might get close to person A.

Generally the less travelling you do, the fewer strangers you will get close to.

Realistically, I guess 99% of people that visit other resorts have a dining reservation anyway so this is going to make little overall difference, but small differences can make a bigger effect on the spread of disease.

epcotisbest

I wasn't making a prediction. I said "I wish." I think there's zero chance of them actually doing it.

I never said I was offended by it, I just consider it gauche. It's the same reaction many people had when they'd see a family rolling a giant cooler through the Magic Kingdom before pulling out two pounds of lunch meat and a loaf of bread to make their own sandwiches for lunch.

Well, I meant I hoped you were not offended by my response.
Anyway, years ago, when we were young and broke, we used to bring a cooler and keep it in the trunk of the car and go to the parking lot and have lunch sitting in the car. This was much easier at Epcot than at MK, but again this was in the 80s when we could barely afford room and tickets and could not afford much more than PBandJ sandwiches out of the trunk of the car. Fun times.

CaptainAmerica

Well, I meant I hoped you were not offended by my response.
Anyway, years ago, when we were young and broke, we used to bring a cooler and keep it in the trunk of the car and go to the parking lot and have lunch sitting in the car. This was much easier at Epcot than at MK, but again this was in the 80s when we could barely afford room and tickets and could not afford much more than PBandJ sandwiches out of the trunk of the car. Fun times.
Been there. I remember very specifically sharing a large order of french fries from the old McDonald's stand near Splash Mountain for lunch and that was the only food we had that day.

Disstevefan1

To the great annoyance of the people who paid to stay in those resorts.

Yes, it is very annoying for the common folks from the value and moderate resorts to pollute the the deluxe resorts with their visit. And let’s not forget the lowest form of life on earth, the annual pass holders. “Get the pitch forks and torches, defend the resort, the APers are coming!”

Yes, I was just commenting to my wife Lovie, I’de rather be back on the Island with Gillian and the skipper rather than having to mix with the non paying visitors at the deluxe resort we are staying at.

epcotisbest

Been there. I remember very specifically sharing a large order of french fries from the old McDonald's stand near Splash Mountain for lunch and that was the only food we had that day.

Back when packs were a thing we would both wear one and fill them with crackers and peanuts and eat on that all day if we did not want to go back to the car for lunch. Wow, I am really reaching back a long time ago now.

epcotisbest

Yes, it is very annoying for the common folks from the value and moderate resorts to pollute the the deluxe resorts with their visit. And let’s not forget the lowest form of life on earth, the annual pass holders. “Get the pitch forks and torches, defend the resort, the APers are coming!”

Yes, I was just commenting to my wife Lovie, I’de rather be back on the Island with Gillian and the skipper rather than having to mix with the non paying visitors at the deluxe resort we are staying at.

If they would only allow us unwashed to use the pool, then we could at least clean up a bit before wandering alongside the elites. :joyfull:

DisDadWoz

While it is noted you need a reservation they don't have any reservations available at this time. I assume that will need to be updated soon as the resorts open in a couple of weeks. Also, as they list the tennis courts as open I'm expecting that I can enter the resort to play while we are there since it's first come first served to get a court.

CaptainAmerica

Right, that's what I said. :rolleyes:

If you notice in my signature, my last four trips to WDW have been at a Deluxe, a Moderate, a Value, and off-site.

OneofThree

Wow -no need to jump off of the deep end with this. In theory, I really don't care whether someone not staying at my resort visits. In reality though, part of the price of a vacation for some is the relaxation factor. A mobbed lobby and common areas isn't all that relaxing, IMO. In truth, these are not public spaces. They are private spaces that guests are paying to access.

Disstevefan1

Right, that's what I said. :rolleyes:

If you notice in my signature, my last four trips to WDW have been at a Deluxe, a Moderate, a Value, and off-site.

Well then I am not sure what you meant when you said, “To the great annoyance of the people who paid to stay in those resorts.”

I will continue to visit the resorts at Christmastime while I still can...

slappy magoo

I don't think Disney ever have particularly encouraged day guest visits with the exception of table service dining. I've certainly never seen any Disney-led communication around this, its mainly fan-sites that seem to encourage resort-hopping. The only exception is of course the outdoor area of boardwalk.

I think that if you are coming to dine then taking a look around makes sense, but if they did try to restrict access to non-residents further at some resorts I personally don't see it as a major issue. The only place I've been other than table service is Trader Sam's.

In Disney's opinion, and in "normal times," the ability to let people who aren't staying in a particular resort to go explore a resort has historically been one of the best forms of free advertising. You know how in old anti-drug educational films the dealer usually gives the first "taste" for free? Same deal. If you're staying offsite or in a value or moderate resort, the ability to walk the grounds of a monorail resort is an effective way to make you be all "I want to go to there." Meanwhile, if you go to the restaurants or lounges or gift shops, you're still putting money in their pocket. And if you just walk around spending no money at all? Looky-loos are part of the cost of doing business, just like you can walk into a Best Buy and not buy a TV.

CaptainAmerica

Well then I am not sure what you meant when you said, “To the great annoyance of the people who paid to stay in those resorts.”
...those resorts in particular, not Deluxe-versus-other.

If you're an Animal Kingdom Lodge guest, it doesn't matter to you if the people clogging up the lobby are from All Star Music, the Grand Floridian, or Kissimmee.

JIMINYCR

From both authorized Disney sites these
I don't think Disney ever have particularly encouraged day guest visits with the exception of table service dining. I've certainly never seen any Disney-led communication around this, its mainly fan-sites that seem to encourage resort-hopping.

Dads’s Walt Disney World Hotels page
So, anyone can show up at any Disney hotel and take a peek around, have a bite to eat, and get on with their day. Parking is limited to a couple of hours though, so that there is minimal risk of day-trip guests overstaying their welcome. Disney has had problems over the years with non-hotel guests using the pools as a mid-afternoon break spot – a service they didn’t pay for and which interfered with resort guests enjoying the amenities they paid for.

Disney Moms Panel
You may absolutely visit the other Disney Resorts during your stay. In fact, my family and I do this every single time we vacation at Walt Disney World. Whether we have a dining reservation at one of the resorts or we just want to check out the resort itself to perhaps stay there the next time, it's a lot of fun to do so!

Jon81uk

In Disney's opinion, and in "normal times," the ability to let people who aren't staying in a particular resort to go explore a resort has historically been one of the best forms of free advertising. You know how in old anti-drug educational films the dealer usually gives the first "taste" for free? Same deal. If you're staying offsite or in a value or moderate resort, the ability to walk the grounds of a monorail resort is an effective way to make you be all "I want to go to there." Meanwhile, if you go to the restaurants or lounges or gift shops, you're still putting money in their pocket. And if you just walk around spending no money at all? Looky-loos are part of the cost of doing business, just like you can walk into a Best Buy and not buy a TV.
Oh I agree it’s free advertising, but except for things like the gingerbread house at grand Floridian and some similar activities Disney don’t really push out that you can. That was the point, that Disney don’t particularly encourage resort-hopping even though it’s always an option.

Dads’s Walt Disney World Hotels page
So, anyone can show up at any Disney hotel and take a peek around, have a bite to eat, and get on with their day. Parking is limited to a couple of hours though, so that there is minimal risk of day-trip guests overstaying their welcome. Disney has had problems over the years with non-hotel guests using the pools as a mid-afternoon break spot – a service they didn’t pay for and which interfered with resort guests enjoying the amenities they paid for.

Disney Moms Panel
You may absolutely visit the other Disney Resorts during your stay. In fact, my family and I do this every single time we vacation at Walt Disney World. Whether we have a dining reservation at one of the resorts or we just want to check out the resort itself to perhaps stay there the next time, it's a lot of fun to do so!

That first link is a fan site, same as this one hosting this forum.
The Moms panel is an official q&a but it’s an answer to a question rather than active encouragement to explore other resorts.

Again my original response was that although it’s not normally a problem to look round other resorts, it’s not actively encouraged. Disney don’t list it as something to do while on site, except for some seasonal activity.

nickys

Premium Member
This is the actual wording on the Dine page of the WDW site (bolded parts are mine):

• Planning to dine at a table-service restaurant in a Disney Resort hotel? A confirmed dining reservation is required for day Guests (those not staying overnight) and is highly recommended for Guests staying overnight at a DIsney Resort hotel.
So to my mind what they are saying is:

If you’re staying anywhere onsite we still recommend you have a dining reservation

If you’re not an onsite guest you must have a dining reservation

This is the actual page, it defaults to the U.K. site for me, but the info is the same (or was two days ago).

crawale

How are they going to prevent a guest from getting on a bus at any park and going to whatever resort they want? Is disney going to go back to the 90s where you had to show the bus driver your resort specific ID? This is just silly. No way is Disney going to prevent guests from resort hopping among the resorts that are open.
You can walk between some hotels - BC/YC and Boardwalk. Will they have CM at every entrance to the hotel checking on you? Will they have CMs checking between BC and YC? Seems like they will have to majorly increase the number of staff to 'guard' all these places. It all sounds ridiculous to me especially as in Florida we are opening up and by July 11th we will probably be fully open.

nickys

Premium Member
You can walk between some hotels - BC/YC and Boardwalk. Will they have CM at every entrance to the hotel checking on you? Will they have CMs checking between BC and YC? Seems like they will have to majorly increase the number of staff to 'guard' all these places. It all sounds ridiculous to me especially as in Florida we are opening up and by July 11th we will probably be fully open.

Bear in mind some resorts (the DVC ones and FW) will be open for three weeks before the parks. All this info is for the initial,phase, it will likely be updated by the time other resorts start opening up.

BigDlover

Yes, this is the case for now and I hope they consider making it permanent (with the exception of the Boardwalk, which is intended to be a public guest area.)
I really hope not. They never would, unless it continues to be a huge safety threat in the future. They want people to explore the resorts in hopes of them booking future trips there. Also they want people eating at the restaurants.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom