So I cant visit the resorts now unless I have a dining reservation?

Jon81uk

How are they going to prevent a guest from getting on a bus at any park and going to whatever resort they want? Is disney going to go back to the 90s where you had to show the bus driver your resort specific ID? This is just silly. No way is Disney going to prevent guests from resort hopping among the resorts that are open.

While there is a pandemic on they may have checks at the resort entrance, so you might be able to board the bus, but can't enter the resort without a reservation. What happens in a years time, who knows, but while Covid is a concern nowhere is going to be normal.

epcotisbest

To the great annoyance of the people who paid to stay in those resorts.

That is an interesting take on the matter. Here is my take and I hope you won't find it offensive.
When I resort hop, I really don't care one bit if my presence annoys you. Seems that is your issue, not mine. It is a public space and I do enjoy visiting other resorts, trying the different restaurants and lounges, shopping at the resort gift shops and just viewing the grounds, partly to determine if I might like to stay there in the future. (Of course that only takes one visit, not multiple visits.)
Here is the flip side...if you visit a resort I am staying at, your visit does not annoy me at all. Actually never gave it a second thought.

eliza61nyc

How are they going to prevent a guest from getting on a bus at any park and going to whatever resort they want? Is disney going to go back to the 90s where you had to show the bus driver your resort specific ID? This is just silly. No way is Disney going to prevent guests from resort hopping among the resorts that are open.
They might not prevent all guest but they can do their best. There is a global pandemic going on and everyone is operating under restrictions.

I am amazed at folks who think that for some reason every thing is going to be the same as before. If bus drivers have to request ID then that is what has to be done. Heck in real life you can't go willy nilly where ever you want anymore.

RaveOnEd

I hope that won't always be the case. At some point, I'd love to see the Carolwood Pacific room in the Boulder Ridge Villas lobby. Didn't get to last time we went, and would really love to see the cars from Walt's railroad.

epcotisbest

They might not prevent all guest but they can do their best. There is a global pandemic going on and everyone is operating under restrictions.

I am amazed at folks who think that for some reason every thing is going to be the same as before. If bus drivers have to request ID then that is what has to be done. Heck in real life you can't go willy nilly where ever you want anymore.

Right, and that is a good point. They can easily restrict access if it becomes necessary. ID or Magic Band scans before boarding the bus or after getting off, or just closer monitoring of who comes and goes would be easy to implement, and understandable during these uncertain times. Restricting access from now own might be a bad business decision though.

epcotisbest

I hope that won't always be the case. At some point, I'd love to see the Carolwood Pacific room in the Boulder Ridge Villas lobby. Didn't get to last time we went, and would really love to see the cars from Walt's railroad.

Certainly worth seeing. There is also a nice sitting area there that makes for a quiet escape with a good book, something we have done a couple of times.

RaveOnEd

Certainly worth seeing. There is also a nice sitting area there that makes for a quiet escape with a good book, something we have done a couple of times.
That sounds fantastic! I understand the reason for not allowing people to visit the lobbies for now. At some point I'll get to see that room.

epcotisbest

That sounds fantastic! I understand the reason for not allowing people to visit the lobbies for now. At some point I'll get to see that room.

Here is a pic I took of that room. Have some more somewhere:

image.jpeg

Jon81uk

That is an interesting take on the matter. Here is my take and I hope you won't find it offensive.
When I resort hop, I really don't care one bit if my presence annoys you. Seems that is your issue, not mine. It is a public space and I do enjoy visiting other resorts, trying the different restaurants and lounges, shopping at the resort gift shops and just viewing the grounds, partly to determine if I might like to stay there in the future. (Of course that only takes one visit, not multiple visits.)
Here is the flip side...if you visit a resort I am staying at, your visit does not annoy me at all. Actually never gave it a second thought.

Of course nothing at Disney is really a public space and they can put whatever restrictions on whatever space they wish to. Non-residents visiting other hotels can of course be an inconvenience such as taking up parking spaces (this is why many of the deluxe resorts at Disney check for reservations at peak times) or taking up seats on the bus. These might only seem like small issues, but combine them with all the hotel guests and the people with dining reservations and a resort can quickly have more people than it was really designed for and it starts then feeling much busier and you aren't getting the relaxed resort experience you were looking for.

As I said before the only time I've gone to a different resort without a dining reservation was to visit Trader Sam's. If I was there at Christmas I may also wish to see the gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian. But I've got no great need to go wander round many other resorts.

durangojim

For the same reason they restrict pool hopping. There's nothing about a pool that makes it fundamentally different than a lobby or the Animal Kingdom Lodge savannas.
Except that a lobby has more places to spend money - shops, bars, restaurants. Pools may have a bar, but that's about it. I guess we'll see in 1 month.

epcotisbest

Of course nothing at Disney is really a public space and they can put whatever restrictions on whatever space they wish to. Non-residents visiting other hotels can of course be an inconvenience such as taking up parking spaces (this is why many of the deluxe resorts at Disney check for reservations at peak times) or taking up seats on the bus. These might only seem like small issues, but combine them with all the hotel guests and the people with dining reservations and a resort can quickly have more people than it was really designed for and it starts then feeling much busier and you aren't getting the relaxed resort experience you were looking for.

As I said before the only time I've gone to a different resort without a dining reservation was to visit Trader Sam's. If I was there at Christmas I may also wish to see the gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian. But I've got no great need to go wander round many other resorts.

OK, private space that is accessible to the public.

durangojim

Let's think this through - if a group of guests is able to go to a theme park and mingle with other guests from other resorts, and they are all able to eat at various restaurants where they are also coming in contact from other resorts please explain how preventing guests from coming into a lobby will prevent the spread of disease? If attendance will be so limited already then the amount of resort hopping will also be limited. I'll bet just about anything that there will be no restrictions on visiting resorts IF you are already a Disney guest staying on property.

ppete1975

Yes, this is the case for now and I hope they consider making it permanent (with the exception of the Boardwalk, which is intended to be a public guest area.)
While I agree that right now this is totally the right thing to do, to limit people in the hotels. I think normally places like the Polynesian with its gift shops is a prime example of anyone being able to go shopping.

epcotisbest

While I agree that right now this is totally the right thing to do, to limit people in the hotels. I think normally places like the Polynesian with its gift shops is a prime example of anyone being able to go shopping.

And, in the future, when things return to normal, it would be a terrible business decision to say to customers, "We don't want your money unless you are staying here, so go shop somewhere else."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom