So how is the Gulf Oil Spill going to affect Disney's Summer Numbers?

IndyDisney

Original Poster
Just a thought I've had recently. My family has a tripped planned to Hilton Head Island at the end of July, and there's a good chance that it's going to be interrupted by that oil dealie in the gulf. So we're talking about what "plan B" should be. Obviously I'm saying Disney, which I still feel should be "plan A", but am out voted.

I'm just wondering if the possibility of severely diminished crowds at the East Coast beaches translates into more $$$$ for Disney.

Thoughts?

-Dave

brent2124

Isnt Hilton Head in South Carolina? Anyway it will only increase Disney's attendence. The entire Tampa Bay area has still had no oil or tar balls anywhere near our beaches. The past two days have been pretty busy at the parks.

Dragonrider1227

This is exactly where my mind went too. Kinda sad really. Worst environmental disaster in history and my thoughts are "Bet this'll be good for Disney World!" :lookaroun

IndyDisney

Original Poster
Isnt Hilton Head in South Carolina? Anyway it will only increase Disney's attendence. The entire Tampa Bay area has still had no oil or tar balls anywhere near our beaches. The past two days have been pretty busy at the parks.

Yes, it's in SC. They are predicting that if the spill continues, it could be up the East Coast by mid July. We're just trying to hedge our bets and don't want to be stuck at a beach that we can't use.

TakeMeThere81

It has been a huge tragedy. I wouldn't let it worry you about your vacation though. Just plan on large crowds, since that can happpen year around anyway. Just plan for the worst, but hope for the best, that's what I'd say.

EpcotServo

It will now be called "Disney's Spilltastic!" featuring the all new Main Street Oil Slick Parade, a dazzling parade of sound and light generated by the glowing toxic mutants from the bottom of the sea. Then to top off the evening is Petroleum Funtime Fireworks spectacular, in which a single lit match creates a spectacular gassy explosion of fun all around you!

Uncle Lupe

I don't think that you have much to worry about. That's a long way from the spill. It will be no worse then the residue that comes of South beach and heads up the east coast.

TP2000

If it's just tar balls, it's really no big deal. Many beaches have those tar balls naturally, as oil seeps up from out of the seabed just offshore. That happens in Santa Barbara a lot, and has been happening for millions of years. The average suntanned college student at UC Santa Barbara has tar on their feet and flip flops all the time, from surfing at Tar Beach before and after classes.

University of California at Santa Barbara with Tar Beach just south of campus
UCSB-AERIAL.gif

Now if it's a thick sheen of oil across the water, that is something else and can ruin wildlife and water quality. But a bunch of tar balls washing ashore? Those may be a new phenomenon to someone in Florida, and a New York newsman will sound the alarm about something he knows nothing about :rolleyes: . But tar balls are a natural occurrence at beaches in many other parts of the world and pose no real threat aside from feet aesthetics.

UrbanDonovan

It will now be called "Disney's Spilltastic!" featuring the all new Main Street Oil Slick Parade, a dazzling parade of sound and light generated by the glowing toxic mutants from the bottom of the sea. Then to top off the evening is Petroleum Funtime Fireworks spectacular, in which a single lit match creates a spectacular gassy explosion of fun all around you!

Seriously?!? Is this really something to make the butt of a joke?

Maybe I'm just being too sensitive.

Optimus Mouse

Too soon....too soon.

joe80x86

It is a rather interesting question which only time will tell. Though I think it could help the summer numbers and depending on the cleanup possibly through next summer.

On a side note, we were on the monorail heading for the MK yesterday morning and a young child spotted a section of boom in one of the lakes (not sure which one) and pointed to it and said to his dad "look Disney is trying to keep the oil out" :)

Mick G.

The oil spill is a tragedy, but the secondary tragedy is when the news guys hype the spill to the point where people think the oil is everywhere, and cancel trips to beaches that are still clean. I feel for the fishermen, but also for the condo owners, the restaurant folks, all the people who make their living from tourists.

And it probably will benefit WDW in the end. On a WDW webboard, that's a perfectly reasonable question.

Mick

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom