So Disney IS A Bargain?

Disneyhead'71

You know, you're right. I had this crazy notion that DHS opened a few years after USF. My mistake!

I just remember visiting USF after a few days at WDW back in '91, and being sort of taken aback by how dirty, junky, and falling-apart everything was, and how nasty the employees were. They've come a long way since Islands opened.
They have changed ownership 3 times. The new owners are committed to providing a quality product. Blackstone, the previous owners, not so much. Good riddance. They are busy now trying to kill SeaWorld Entertainment.

Disneyhead'71

I didn't say that the tickets were free. I said it becomes more economical.
The difference between, say, a 4-day ticket and a 5-day ticket is just $10 total. So buying a multi-day pass is a lot more economical than doing things piecemeal. That's all.
Right, and it's a smart practice for Disney.

Say, if Day 3 were also $100+ dollars, and USF costs the same, they stand a much larger chance of losing that day to Universal.

And that's was the choice people had to make pre-Potter. A cheaper day at Disney (day 3 on a Multiday Disney pass vs a one day ticket at Universal.) Now people are traveling to Orlando to see Potter. They will be buying Universal passes.

Now the question for a lot of people is "what are they going to do about Disney while they are down in Otown to see Potter?"

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Right, and it's a smart practice for Disney.

Say, if Day 3 were also $100+ dollars, and USF costs the same, they stand a much larger chance of losing that day to Universal.

And that's was the choice people had to make pre-Potter. A cheaper day at Disney (day 3 on a Multiday Disney pass vs a one day ticket at Universal.) Now people are traveling to Orlando to see Potter. They will be buying Universal passes. Now the question for a lot of people is "what are they going to do about Disney while they are down in Otown to see Potter?"

For some, the answer to that question is "nothing" and like me they'll bypass WDW altogether for the first time ever in favor of a UNI only trip. ;)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
When you boil it down to basics, I don't go on vacation to save money. That is ludicrous. If I'm going on vacation I figure out what I want to do, calculate the cost, make a personal decision, and either go or don't go. I may change plans based on total cost or what changing the plan adds to the cost, but I'm not looking at "It's going to cost me $x a minute so it's not worth it because it would cost me $y a minute somewhere else".

sjhym333

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. Several thing struck me about the article. The writer uses the example of POTC, an attraction that I think most of us consider one of Disney's best. The detail is amazing, but it is an attraction that opened in 1973 in Florida. WDW has had some great attractions built since then but I would be hard pressed to find an attraction over the past 10 or more years that comes anywhere close to the scope of an attraction like POTC. I like Soarin (which opened in 2005) and the Fantasyland Expansion is pretty to look at and the Little Mermaid attraction is cute but I don't think the attention to detail comes anywhere near something like POTC.

Are the parks a bargain? That is such a subjective question. What I think is a bargain is another mans expensive proposition. We are AP holders and have been for 20+ years. This year we will not be renewing. Not because of the price increase of the AP (though cost comes into play) but mainly because we no longer see the value of our AP's anymore. I know a lot of people see an AP as an amazing bargain and in some ways it is, but it is not just about actual cost but perceived value. I have friends who can stay in a suite in a deluxe resort and not blink an eye on the cost and I have other friends who see the value resorts as expensive. Each has a different view of Disney being a bargain. I think when you add up all the components of a vacation at WDW some can say it is a bargain and some can say it isn't. It is all in the eye of the person.

One of the things I do find interesting about us Disney fans is how much we have bought into the whole Disney experience. We are local and have done a lot of staycations, mostly at WDW resort hotels. We have stayed in every Disney resort except the Grand Floridian. We have had great experiences with the exception of a terrible stay at Wilderness Lodge. A couple of years back we had the opportunity to stay on Universal property at the Royal Pacific. Honestly it was one of the nicest resort stays we have had. The room was great and the service in the hotel surpassed anything we have had at a Disney resort and at a cheaper rate then many Disney resorts. The stay made us big Universal resort hotel fans and it is now our staycation of choice. But when I tell Disney friends and fans that you would think that I committed a sin. Just my 2 cents.

mnagel55

Fascinating thread. I guess value is in the eye of the beholder. I have wanted to start a thread with "How much are you willing to pay?" I LOVE WDW, but the trip this May is getting close to the cost of our week in Italy last year. Granted we rented a flat and cooked some of our own meals. Money will always go wherever its treated the best.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

When you boil it down to basics, I don't go on vacation to save money. That is ludicrous. If I'm going on vacation I figure out what I want to do, calculate the cost, make a personal decision, and either go or don't go. I may change plans based on total cost or what changing the plan adds to the cost, but I'm not looking at "It's going to cost me $x a minute so it's not worth it because it would cost me $y a minute somewhere else".
Right. It's about value, not cost. When I can fly to Bora Bora and stay at Le Meridian cheaper than I can drive the 12 miles and stay at the new Poly Bungalows, then I believe that you really just have to love Disney that much to where it just doesn't matter what you COULD be doing with that money.

Will your 900th trip to WDW make you a better person that international travel would?

BrianV

Thanks for posting this. I think it's a well written article.

It annoys me when people fixate on the $105 for a 1-day admission, and completely disregard the cost-per-day that most guests experience through park hoppers.

What do *most* people buy? I would guess a three day hopper pass is the most purchased ticket among the general public, not the people here.

And as a corollary. What price should people fixate on when discussing the price of disney? The one day MK is the easiest. But you could as easily look at a one day hopper. Or the price on a three day one park. Or three day hopper...

Disneyhead'71

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. Several thing struck me about the article. The writer uses the example of POTC, an attraction that I think most of us consider one of Disney's best. The detail is amazing, but it is an attraction that opened in 1973 in Florida. WDW has had some great attractions built since then but I would be hard pressed to find an attraction over the past 10 or more years that comes anywhere close to the scope of an attraction like POTC. I like Soarin (which opened in 2005) and the Fantasyland Expansion is pretty to look at and the Little Mermaid attraction is cute but I don't think the attention to detail comes anywhere near something like POTC.

Are the parks a bargain? That is such a subjective question. What I think is a bargain is another mans expensive proposition. We are AP holders and have been for 20+ years. This year we will not be renewing. Not because of the price increase of the AP (though cost comes into play) but mainly because we no longer see the value of our AP's anymore. I know a lot of people see an AP as an amazing bargain and in some ways it is, but it is not just about actual cost but perceived value. I have friends who can stay in a suite in a deluxe resort and not blink an eye on the cost and I have other friends who see the value resorts as expensive. Each has a different view of Disney being a bargain. I think when you add up all the components of a vacation at WDW some can say it is a bargain and some can say it isn't. It is all in the eye of the person.

One of the things I do find interesting about us Disney fans is how much we have bought into the whole Disney experience. We are local and have done a lot of staycations, mostly at WDW resort hotels. We have stayed in every Disney resort except the Grand Floridian. We have had great experiences with the exception of a terrible stay at Wilderness Lodge. A couple of years back we had the opportunity to stay on Universal property at the Royal Pacific. Honestly it was one of the nicest resort stays we have had. The room was great and the service in the hotel surpassed anything we have had at a Disney resort and at a cheaper rate then many Disney resorts. The stay made us big Universal resort hotel fans and it is now our staycation of choice. But when I tell Disney friends and fans that you would think that I committed a sin. Just my 2 cents.
Haha. My last 2 stay-cations. (The past 2 Aprils) were at Portofino Bay (I live in Metrowest, 3 miles from Universal). I haven't stayed at a Disney resort since 2006.

I have become a big fan of the Loews Resorts. The first week of Jan. we popped over to The Don CeSar for 2 nights. I have come to the conclusion that 3 Nights Portofino Bay/3 nights Don CeSar would be darned close to a perfect Central Florida Vacation.

2fb2ebfc19a1e149f41dde57dab81ddb.jpg

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Actually, Disney is only a good deal if all you look at is the one day ticket. As soon as you start throwing in nights at Disney Resorts and multiple days of food, it is no longer a bargain. Each additional day, in isolation, costs less. But I have NEVER seen the cost of a vacation go down by adding days.

I, personally, think Universal has top shelf attractions, very nice hotels, and some fantastic dining. But I'm sure that's just me.
A few of their attractions may be state of the art, but their content is bad. People crave Disney content which is good, but also allows them to be lazy on updates.

Again, Disney is #1 in attendance and every other measure for a reason. Six Flags has some good Rollercoasters but no one wants to go there.

BrianV

We love the royal pacific and have been three times in the last three years, most recently in January and going again in august. For the price, services, and proximity the RPR far exceeds any but the highest end wdw resorts. (You can often get a double room for <$200, kids suite for <$400).

Not bashing wdw. We love disney and will be there the end of this month. But universal has clearly stepped up its game.

Disneyhead'71

A few of their attractions may be state of the art, but their content is bad. People crave Disney content which is good, but also allows them to be lazy on updates.

Again, Disney is #1 in attendance and every other measure for a reason. Six Flags has some good Rollercoasters but no one wants to go there.
Ummmm.

54408252.jpg

It's pretty obvious no one goes to Universal parks for their content.

BrianV

The content is different and I agree disney has better content. But Simpsons, dr suess, Harry potter, marvel, Jurassic park are all premier content brands. Better to say that universal has good content and disney has better.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
No, adding days does not make it cheaper. A 3 day ticket costs more than a 2 day ticket. A 5 day ticket costs more than a 4 day ticket. Yes, each individual day costs less than the one before. But adding days still costs more.
Of course, it costs more for more days.

It does make it cheaper per day in the sense you aren't multiplying $105 times the days. That is relevant. Hardly anyone just stays 1 day, so hardly anyone "pats $105 per day."

Again, there are more expensive entertainment options. If I see a bad movie, they don't refund my money after I paid $22/ticket for 2hrs.

sjhym333

We love the royal pacific and have been three times in the last three years, most recently in January and going again in august. For the price, services, and proximity the RPR far exceeds any but the highest end wdw resorts. (You can often get a double room for <$200, kids suite for <$400).

Not bashing wdw. We love disney and will be there the end of this month. But universal has clearly stepped up its game.

I agree. The service has been amazing at the Royal Pacific. We were quite pleasantly surprised when laying around the pool during the day they kept bringing around free things from ice water, fruit, smoothies and ice cream.

Ariel1986

Right. It's about value, not cost. When I can fly to Bora Bora and stay at Le Meridian cheaper than I can drive the 12 miles and stay at the new Poly Bungalows, then I believe that you really just have to love Disney that much to where it just doesn't matter what you COULD be doing with that money.

Will your 900th trip to WDW make you a better person that international travel would?

But not everyone lives 12 miles from Disney. I live 35 miles from London, UK. That's like me saying "When I could fly to New York and stay in a 4 star hotel for the same price it would cost me to stay 35 miles away at The Savoy for 5 nights, then I believe you really have to love London and it's top hotels to justify it."

WDW to me is international travel (and no I don't just visit Florida, I've been to other states in the US and I've also been to other countries) and 2 weeks in WDW doesn't cost me any more than other international trips- in fact I've done a fortnight's trip to Orlando which cost less than a week's trip to Spain before.

Anyway one person's value of a product is always going to be different to another as it's subjective to an individuals personal wants, needs, tastes, vacation time available and wealth.

sjhym333

But not everyone lives 12 miles from Disney. I live 35 miles from London, UK. That's like me saying "When I could fly to New York and stay in a 4 star hotel for the same price it would cost me to stay 35 miles away at The Savoy for 5 nights, then I believe you really have to love London and it's top hotels to justify it."

WDW to me is international travel (and no I don't just visit Florida, I've been to other states in the US and I've also been to other countries) and 2 weeks in WDW doesn't cost me any more than other international trips- in fact I've done a fortnight's trip to Orlando which cost less than a week's trip to Spain before.

Anyway one person's value of a product is always going to be different to another as it's subjective to an individuals personal wants, needs, tastes, vacation time available and wealth.

I have had several friends from the UK tell me that for them it is cheaper to come to WDW then Disneyland Paris. Do you find that to be the case. I have been to Disneyland Paris and think it is a wonderful resort.

Disneyhead'71

Disney's content is pretty homogenous. If you're into children's animated movies, Disney's content is awesome.

If you are a 50 year old queen, princesses may not be your schtick.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom