So Disney IS A Bargain?

Disneyhead'71

But not everyone lives 12 miles from Disney. I live 35 miles from London, UK. That's like me saying "When I could fly to New York and stay in a 4 star hotel for the same price it would cost me to stay 35 miles away at The Savoy for 5 nights, then I believe you really have to love London and it's top hotels to justify it."

WDW to me is international travel (and no I don't just visit Florida, I've been to other states in the US and I've also been to other countries) and 2 weeks in WDW doesn't cost me any more than other international trips- in fact I've done a fortnight's trip to Orlando which cost less than a week's trip to Spain before.

Anyway one person's value of a product is always going to be different to another as it's subjective to an individuals personal wants, needs, tastes, vacation time available and wealth.
If you can fly to NYC, stay at a MUCH nicer less costly hotel ALL ( flight included) for less money than the lower quality hotel you can drive to 35 miles away then I do say, you really must just want to go to that hotel/city, value be ****ed.

Ariel1986

I have had several friends from the UK tell me that for them it is cheaper to come to WDW then Disneyland Paris. Do you find that to be the case. I have been to Disneyland Paris and think it is a wonderful resort.

Yes! For 3-4 nights at Disneyland Paris (not including travel or food) it costs very near or at least over half the cost of two weeks in Disney World! When you compare 2 parks against the 6 in WDW and the extras you get from being in Orlando and the US (Universal etc and the experience and fun of being in America), along with the much lower quality of the Disneyland Paris hotels and recreation, it's hard to justify the cost. Obviously you can just go to Disneyland Paris for the day and stay elsewhere, or make it an add on day to a Paris/France trip, but to compare an actual "vacation" of Disneyland Paris to WDW it's quite hard to choose to go to Paris.

I have been many times though, I grew up visiting Disneyland Paris. I did love visiting. However after visiting Disney World- well that's a whole different animal and made visiting Paris very different afterwards! And actually the last time I went to Paris in 2011, after an 8 year hiatus, it was quite saddening- the state of the parks had really gone downhill. It used to make me laugh reading the complaints about WDW- which were trivial compared to the run-down and ridiculously expensive Paris. It's supposedly been much improved over the past year or so and had some love so I may think about returning- but it would be a day visit on a trip to Paris rather than an actual stay there.

sjhym333

Yes! For 3-4 nights at Disneyland Paris (not including travel or food) it costs very near or at least over half the cost of two weeks in Disney World! When you compare 2 parks against the 6 in WDW and the extras you get from being in Orlando and the US (Universal etc and the experience and fun of being in America), along with the much lower quality of the Disneyland Paris hotels and recreation, it's hard to justify the cost. Obviously you can just go to Disneyland Paris for the day and stay elsewhere, or make it an add on day to a Paris/France trip, but to compare an actual "vacation" of Disneyland Paris to WDW it's quite hard to choose to go to Paris.

I have been many times though, I grew up visiting Disneyland Paris. I did love visiting. However after visiting Disney World- well that's a whole different animal and made visiting Paris very different afterwards! And actually the last time I went to Paris in 2011, after an 8 year hiatus, it was quite saddening- the state of the parks had really gone downhill. It used to make me laugh reading the complaints about WDW- which were trivial compared to the run-down and ridiculously expensive Paris. It's supposedly been much improved over the past year or so and had some love so I may think about returning- but it would be a day visit on a trip to Paris rather than an actual stay there.

And my experience is the opposite of yours which is I have been going to WDW since 1971 and visited Disneyland Paris and thought it a better experience at the time. It is all about experiences and perceptions isn't it. I have also heard about the issues at Disneyland Paris but I have also heard that things are getting better.

Ariel1986

If you can fly to NYC, stay at a MUCH nicer less costly hotel ALL ( flight included) for less money than the lower quality hotel you can drive to 35 miles away then I do say, you really must just want to go to that hotel/city, value be ****ed.

I recently looked up a 2 night stay in London due to an event I'm attending- the cost of a doubletree by hilton nearby (doubletree!) was £389 per night (almost $600). So £778 ($1200) for two nights in London. I can currently book a return flight to New York including a 4 star hotel for 4 nights for £722 ($1100). Or including a 5 star hotel for £812.

I can't compare that value though to someone who wants to come to London for a vacation, from afar or another country, to my perceived value of it as London is down the road from me, I've been many times and I could spend the same amount of money travelling much further elsewhere. Everyone's situation is different, creating different value.

Last edited:

Ariel1986

And my experience is the opposite of yours which is I have been going to WDW since 1971 and visited Disneyland Paris and thought it a better experience at the time. It is all about experiences and perceptions isn't it. I have also heard about the issues at Disneyland Paris but I have also heard that things are getting better.

Exactly, you can't compare one persons value of something to another as there's too many different personal factors that come in to play.
I hope Paris is getting better as obviously it is a lot closer! I do think I will return at some point in the near future.

BrianV

I can't speak for Matt, but disney now has Star Wars and Avatar. And both will have presence in the parks in the next few years.

I love Harry potter. And I love Harry potter land. But Star Wars >>> Harry Potter. Here's hoping Star Wars land is fantastic.

Disneyhead'71

I can't speak for Matt, but disney now has Star Wars and Avatar. And both will have presence in the parks in the next few years.

I love Harry potter. And I love Harry potter land. But Star Wars >>> Harry Potter. Here's hoping Star Wars land is fantastic.
Rumors abound that Uni has Star Trek and possibly an Avengers attraction coming.

I am just wondering who stateside will get BBC? Sherlock and Dr. Who would be cool additions.

mousehockey37

All this talk of how Disney IS a bargain, well, the admission fee to the park is just one small portion of everything, unless like others have stated, you live close by and lodging, food and travel isn't a big enough factor.

Look at how many people fly or drive in from out of state, let alone the country. Flights aren't getting any cheaper and the price of gas is starting to go back up again. So, everyone's story on this will be different.

Otterhead

If you're into children's animated movies, Disney's content is awesome.
Or Marvel, or Star Wars, or Indiana Jones... or Epcot.... or animals... or Hollywood... or original rides with no ties to "children's" animated movies... you do realize people besides kids watch animation, yes?

Saying that WDW is only for people who like kids' animation is the sort of thing people say who've never been to WDW.

mousehockey37

Or Marvel, or Star Wars, or Indiana Jones... or Epcot.... or animals... or Hollywood... or original rides with no ties to "children's" animated movies... you do realize people besides kids watch animation, yes?

Saying that WDW is only for people who like kids' animation is the sort of thing people say who've never been to WDW.

Take some time and look at some of @Disneyhead'71's other posts. You'll see that this person is someone that has local media experience in and around the parks.

Otterhead

Take some time and look at some of @Disneyhead'71's other posts. You'll see that this person is someone that has local media experience in and around the parks.
Sorry, I guess that was poorly phrased. I'm definitely aware that @Disneyhead'71 has plenty of WDW experience. What I mean is that the belief that WDW only has stuff for kids who watch Disney animated movies is what I hear from friends who've never been there, which is why it seemed weird for him to say it, too. WDW is way way bigger than that.

Disneyhead'71

I will say that one of the aspects of Avatar that has me interested is that it is the first thing since 2006 that is not aimed at the under 8 crowd.

It's been a long time since I was 8.

Californian Elitist

A few of their attractions may be state of the art, but their content is bad. People crave Disney content which is good, but also allows them to be lazy on updates.

Again, Disney is #1 in attendance and every other measure for a reason. Six Flags has some good Rollercoasters but no one wants to go there.

I've noticed you like to speak on behalf of a lot of people in your posts.

Who exactly is "people" and "no one?" In terms of Disney's attendance, do you ever think SOME people always go to Disney out of habit? The first time my family and I went to Universal Studios Hollywood was in 2010, merely five years ago. Mind you, my siblings and I are third generation Angelenos, my mother belongs to the second generation. My family's been in Los Angeles for decades. We've always lived 15-20 minutes away from USH, yet my mom never took us as children. We all had a blast on that day back in 2010, and when I asked my mom why she never took us to USH as kids, she said the idea never crossed her mind because she was so used to going to Disneyland (a much further park). She didn't "crave Disney content," she simply took us because her family had taken her and her siblings as kids in the 60's and she continued to go all her life. Since our first visit to USH in 2010, we've returned there as a family more times than Disneyland. Clearly not everyone goes to Disney out of some sort of "craving" you speak of.

Also, in regards to Six Flags, it does have a fan base, and it's not true "no one" wants to go there. I have friends who hate Disneyland but adore Magic Mountain. My own uncle came out to California for one day from New Mexico just to go to Magic Mountain. He also dislikes Disneyland. I myself enjoy Six Flags Magic Mountain and DO want to go there.

Please stop speaking for the masses.

Magenta Panther

I wouldn't call any Disney park a "bargain", but I would definitely call it "worth it". At least right now. But I still think Universal gives you more bang for the buck, I'm sorry to say.

EOD K9

That was a good video. However, as much as I love going to WDW (being a DVC Member), I now find more value and better service on DCL.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I've noticed you like to speak on behalf of a lot of people in your posts.

Who exactly is "people" and "no one?" In terms of Disney's attendance, do you ever think SOME people always go to Disney out of habit? The first time my family and I went to Universal Studios Hollywood was in 2010, merely five years ago. Mind you, my siblings and I are third generation Angelenos, my mother belongs to the second generation. My family's been in Los Angeles for decades. We've always lived 15-20 minutes away from USH, yet my mom never took us as children. We all had a blast on that day back in 2010, and when I asked my mom why she never took us to USH as kids, she said the idea never crossed her mind because she was so used to going to Disneyland (a much further park). She didn't "crave Disney content," she simply took us because her family had taken her and her siblings as kids in the 60's and she continued to go all her life. Since our first visit to USH in 2010, we've returned there as a family more times than Disneyland. Clearly not everyone goes to Disney out of some sort of "craving" you speak of.

Also, in regards to Six Flags, it does have a fan base, and it's not true "no one" wants to go there. I have friends who hate Disneyland but adore Magic Mountain. My own uncle came out to California for one day from New Mexico just to go to Magic Mountain. He also dislikes Disneyland. I myself enjoy Six Flags Magic Mountain and DO want to go there.

Please stop speaking for the masses.
I speak on behalf of the millions of people who chose Disney over Universal. "The Masses" definitively choose Disney over any other theme park.

That is fact, not my opinion. The entire purpose of my post was to point out that the people have spoken, for better or worse, that Disney is their park of choice.

Universal has some nice gains, but it's easier to move the needle on smaller numbers. These lists really say it all. The Magic Kingdom is over double Universal's closest competitor and the numbers overall are just dominating.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom