So... a Splash Mountain log sank..

Brer Oswald

Disney feels the need to pander as a woke crowd to bring in sellable characters to splash.

Meanwhile,
Universal has a log flume mocking Canada melodrama and is going to build an entire land based around a stereotypical Italian Plumber.
Since I’m Canadian, maybe I should come up with an exposé to “cancel” the ride? Any suggestions for the replacement IP?

JIMINYCR

Behind the scenes conversation overheard, and now released to the public....:
Iger... I dont think they bought the statement we gave that we were going to change Splash to Princess and the Frog all along. We have to find a way to make them believe Splash Mountains going away is a good thing.
Weiss... Well Bob what can we do? You know theres lots of Splash fans that are still upset about it.
Iger... I know... We can show them how dangerous Splash can really be if it stays.
Weiss... Yeah, lets cause some kind of an incident.
Iger ... Lets see... Ive got a drill in my Imagineers tool kit, so lets sneak down tonight and drill a few strategically placed holes in one of them logs.
Weiss... Yeah, thats brilliant. You know how the inter net thinggy blows up when theres a problem? Someone will surely say its from poor maintenance.
Iger.. We can go with that. Nothing will help our cause more than a sinking log. Now if we can get some CM's to make a silly statement too.... I can see it now.... Guests almost drowned due to poor maintenance. Princess and the Frog needed for guest safety. P&F makeover here we come.

TrainsOfDisney

Before we jump down the “bad maintenance” hole, is it possible that what happened was the log ahead of this one, and this one that sunk, had a heavy load in the front, and since there’s only a few riders per log, neither was properly balanced? This could cause the 2nd one to lodge itself under the one ahead of it. Then, when the log behind it hits, it gets forced further downward?

As in now they may have to focus more on balancing the logs due to not fully loading them?

It’s possible. Years ago I went to six flags Atlanta right after they rebuilt the flooded plantation boat ride (which has a lot of connections to haunted mansion) - since I was the only one wise enough to rope drop it no one else was in line and an employee had to ride with me in another row to balance out the boat.

celluloid

There’s a part of my brain that has an uncanny knack for forming conspiracy theories. The conspiracy outlines the possibility of Disney purposely sabotaging Splash Mountain to close the attraction indefinitely in order to cut costs... and eventually work on the Princess and the Frog retheme... whenever that plan comes to fruition.

For sure it would not be hard nor surprising for them to spin. If nothing else, to justify the cost of the attractions upkeep to the people that look at its high operating cost that don't see the world's most famous beloved log flume being enough.

Goofyernmost

Failure in a giant piece of machinery that can seriously injure or even kill people is not “tension”.
Yeah, and you say I say ridiculous things. Do you suppose that it was a log full of blind people that couldn't see any exposed machinery that might do them harm, because we know that by design they do not know exactly how deep the water is on the ride. What they did know was that the log was filling up with water and I cannot think of much else on that ride that would be more dangerous then that. So since they had a accessible spot to safely evacuate, they did so and (shocker here) they had more then enough brain power to determine what the safest situation was for them? That they probably shouldn't wait underwater until some 18 year old teenage instructed them to get the hell out of the log. It is a tense moment and if there had been this wildly raging piece of machinery just waiting to devour them once the got out of a sunk non-floating log then it was strictly a non joking moment, but as it appears that was a perfect time to lighten up the situation. On top of that I was just expressing another option to the interpretation of the comment instead of just going for the juggler immediately. They all survived, as far as we know with no physical injuries and if there ever was a time to lighten the mood that would be it. You go to your church of absolute rule followers even when it doesn't make sense and I will go to mine. The situation is a whole lot different then simply a stopped ride, IT WAS SINKING. Requiring a completely different resolution.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, and you say I say ridiculous things. Do you suppose that it was a log full of blind people that couldn't see any exposed machinery that might do them harm, because we know that by design they do not know exactly how deep the water is on the ride. What they did know was that the log was filling up with water and I cannot think of much else on that ride that would be more dangerous then that. So since they had a accessible spot to safely evacuate, they did so and (shocker here) they had more then enough brain power to determine what the safest situation was for them? That they probably shouldn't wait underwater until some 18 year old teenage instructed them to get the hell out of the log. It is a tense moment and if there had been this wildly raging piece of machinery just waiting to devour them once the got out of a sunk non-floating log then it was strictly a non joking moment, but as it appears that was a perfect time to lighten up the situation. On top of that I was just expressing another option to the interpretation of the comment instead of just going for the juggler immediately. They all survived, as far as we know with no physical injuries and if there ever was a time to lighten the mood that would be it. You go to your church of absolute rule followers even when it doesn't make sense and I will go to mine. The situation is a whole lot different then simply a stopped ride, IT WAS SINKING. Requiring a completely different resolution.
Nobody has criticized the guests for getting out of the boat.

Tom 55

A few years back I was in line at the loading area when CM's stopped loading and were just letting logs go out empty. Then that stopped and when we looked upstream CM's were moving a sunken log off the track into the maintenance area. They had a pole attached to log and had to pull it around part of track. Some places the logs move on tracks and others they just float.

SplashGhost

Since I’m Canadian, maybe I should come up with an exposé to “cancel” the ride? Any suggestions for the replacement IP?

Long before there was anyone offended by Splash Mountain, I had jokingly thought up a South Park overlay for Ripsaw Falls because of the Canada connection.

MaximumEd

Before we jump down the “bad maintenance” hole, is it possible that what happened was the log ahead of this one, and this one that sunk, had a heavy load in the front, and since there’s only a few riders per log, neither was properly balanced? This could cause the 2nd one to lodge itself under the one ahead of it. Then, when the log behind it hits, it gets forced further downward?

As in now they may have to focus more on balancing the logs due to not fully loading them?

Im no engineer smart guy type, but that seems like a reasonable assumption and plausible.

Goofyernmost

Nobody has criticized the guests for getting out of the boat.
I know that is why I think that there might have been a humorous comment made. Sarcasm is a very popular sport. And, no, it was not the end of the world to have said it. If the CM had a single working brain cell he would have known that they did the right thing regardless of the rules and even if we assume that the CM was serious it would have been cover the time and something that he was required to say. So this is a no fault discussion with the exception of the leaking miniature titanic.

lazyboy97o

I know that is why I think that there might have been a humorous comment made. Sarcasm is a very popular sport. And, no, it was not the end of the world to have said it. If the CM had a single working brain cell he would have known that they did the right thing regardless of the rules and even if we assume that the CM was serious it would have been cover the *** time and something that he was required to say. So this is a no fault discussion with the exception of the leaking miniature titanic.
There is vidio. It wasn't a joke. Nobody took it as a joke. This is nothing more than you again trying to dismiss a safety issue as nothing and ranting because you were called out on your usual nonsense.

Goofyernmost

No. They're not. None of those rides mentioned are closed due to social distancing.
OK, there must be a reason that they aren't fixing it and it might be to eleminate the headache of making sure everyone keeps the distance. The only one that really would apply to would be the Carousel of Progress. I thought that it was known that they were going to have the Peoplemover down anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom